Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 12 2010, 05:43 PM   #16
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: Boy, those uniforms must bunch up very easily or something...

Joe_Atari wrote: View Post
Never having been forced to wear skin-tight spandex, I've always wondered... specifically what was it about the S1 & S2 uniforms that caused back pain for the actors? Supposedly that was a common complaint that was alleviated with the S3 uniforms. I can't understand how clothing alone can cause back pain (unless it's really heavy or something like that).
I read somewhere (I think it was an unofficial Partick Stewart bio) that those S1&2 uniforms were too small to keep them always smooth on bodies. Now put on something tight, a size or two too small and wear for 10 hours staight, everyday for two years. I'm not sure it makes you get a back pain, but surely can become horribly uncomfortable and unbarable after some time.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2010, 06:58 PM   #17
Arpy
Rear Admiral

I love the TNG uniforms. Both versions, for different reasons. Neither were meant to be worn today but to look good. All the Starfleet uniforms are meant to be made of weird future materials that wear comfortably, and I think keep you warm in the cold and cool in the heat.

Unfortunately, the costumes themselves are made out of today's materials and bunch up easily, so you get tugging.

...It looked cool when Patrick Stewart did it.

P.S. Hey moderator, I think we need Trek versions for every differently emoting emoticon. Who do I voice this to?

Last edited by Arpy; August 15 2010 at 07:50 AM.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2010, 10:24 PM   #18
FormerLurker
Captain

Joe_Atari wrote: View Post
Never having been forced to wear skin-tight spandex, I've always wondered... specifically what was it about the S1 & S2 uniforms that caused back pain for the actors? Supposedly that was a common complaint that was alleviated with the S3 uniforms. I can't understand how clothing alone can cause back pain (unless it's really heavy or something like that).
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I suspect it'd have something to do with always having to keep your bag tight and tense to stand up straight against the strain of the spandex trying to constrict you.
Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
I read somewhere (I think it was an unofficial Partick Stewart bio) that those S1&2 uniforms were too small to keep them always smooth on bodies. Now put on something tight, a size or two too small and wear for 10 hours staight, everyday for two years. I'm not sure it makes you get a back pain, but surely can become horribly uncomfortable and unbarable after some time.
According to what I read in Star Trek the Magazine, the spandex used in the S1&2 uniforms ran lengthwise on the actors' bodies, and the legs were held in place with stirrups. As the spandex would bunch, the stirrups would pull on the feet in a manner that would pull the shoulders down, throwing the back out of alignment and causing pain. Left too long, this would have the effect of some serious alignment damage for the wearer.
The spandex from S3 onward was arranged to wrap around the body laterally. It made the material look better, and was much healthier to wear, but had the disadvantage of magnifying any kind of paunch the actor might have. This is why all the leads were put in the woven fabric uniforms rather than the knit.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2010, 12:10 AM   #19
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
start counting the number of times this is done.
A new Star Trek drinking game. Can't wait to try it.

Arpy wrote: View Post
I love the TNG uniforms. Both versions
Thiis is something I've never understood, from the beginning of TNG until the end of VOY, it's the same basic uniform. All they did is swap the colors a little bit It's a jumpsuit, even the cadet uniforms in TWOK had the same look.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2010, 12:59 AM   #20
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Yeah, I even heard the stirrups would cause there to eventually be cuts on the actors' feet by the end of a shooting day. This combined with sweaty boots likely lead to a lot of hate for the S1&2 uniforms by the cast.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2010, 05:35 AM   #21
Arpy
Rear Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Arpy wrote: View Post
I love the TNG uniforms. Both versions
Thiis is something I've never understood, from the beginning of TNG until the end of VOY, it's the same basic uniform. All they did is swap the colors a little bit It's a jumpsuit, even the cadet uniforms in TWOK had the same look.
I pity you.
Arpy is offline   Reply With Quote