Power Rangers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by SG-17, Aug 7, 2010.

1. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

I am surprised this wasn't posted before, I am sure that there are plenty of children of the 80s and 90s here that will appreciate this.

Haim Saban has bought back the rights to the Power Rangers from Disney and he struck a deal with Nickelodeon to show the new 18th season on Nickelodeon in the spring of 2011 as well as running ALL 700odd episodes of the past 17 seasons on Nicktoons starting in the fall of this year.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118019212.html?categoryid=14&cs=1

I only followed the series sporadically, I watched all 3 seasons of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, I remember watching part of Zeo. I also remember Turbo, In Space, and Lost Galaxy being on but I don't remember watching them. I had no idea about Lightspeed Rescue until the other day. I remember Time Force, Wild Force, Ninja Storm, and Dino Thunder very well. After that I stopped watching so I haven't seen any of S.P.D, Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive, Jungle Fury, and RPM. The new season is called Rise of the Samurai and I might watch it because most of the original producers from the Saban era of Power Rangers will return.

http://henshinjustice.com/2010/05/18/power-rangers-2011-rise-of-the-samurai/

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

This was actually posted about several months ago. ;)

3. SG-17

I searched "Power Rangers" in this forum and got nothing related to this. I didn't bother to search in TV & Media because Power Rangers is a sci-fi/fantasy series.

4. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched the show fairly consistently through at least the end of Zeo. I would consider buying MMPR on DVD.

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I got a virus warning when I clicked that second link in the initial post.

6. SG-17

7. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The thread, posted in May:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=121086

Yeah, I had taken the separation between the two forums quite literally myself too at one point. Turns out either forum can be used if the topic itself isn't about the fiction, but rather the "real world" side of things. Just search the whole forum next time. No reason to limit your search unless your search term is very common.

Anywho, the cast (Rangers anyway) has been revealed by a member of the fan community. This info has been accepted at the big community spots (Rangerboard, etc), so apparently the source is trustworthy.

Alex Heartman (Reese, Red Ranger)
    Najee-De-Tiege (Baron, Blue Ranger)
    Hector David Jr. (Parry, Green Ranger)
    Erika Fong (Sadie, Pink Ranger)
    Brittany Pirtle (Ava, Yellow Ranger)
    Steven Skyler (Wesley, Gold Ranger)

Rangerboard thread with actor pics

8. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

:lol: The blue ranger's mask looks like a marijuana leaf logo. I watched the original show as a kid. When I went to the movie and even at 12 knew how horrible it was, the magic was over for me. I can't believe how many spin-offs there are...looks like some kind of record. I'll always remember the black ranger, played by Walter Jones, being one cool dude. I eventually grew bored of the rest of them and was sad when he was replaced.

9. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

There's a Wesley in Power Rangers? AAAAAHHH!!!

(Sorry, Trek board... Couldn't resist.)

10. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

Am I the only one who thinks thouse helmets look kinnda familiar? Especially the red through yellow look like I've half seen the before but not quite the same.

11. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm hoping for more of the Wyndam-Pryce variety rather than the Crusher stock.

Anyway, those helmets look really familiar to me too. They remind me of the helmets on the Zeo suits.

12. Christopher

Well, the Sentai costumes generally tend to fall into a few classes. There are the ones that are animal-themed, the ones that are vehicle-themed, and the ones that are more geometrical. In these, the visors are based on kanji characters, something that's been done before in Ohranger/Zeo, where the sixth Ranger's helmet was shaped like the kanji for "king." (Which was a great multilayered visual pun, since it's a six-pronged symbol and thus continued the 1-2-3-4-5 pattern of the other Rangers' visors, and since the Japanese word for "king" is oh.)

What bugs me about having a Wesley is that we've already had a Wes, the Red Time Force Ranger.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

You know, as sick as it sounds, I'd love to see a reboot of the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Maybe turn the Green Ranger saga into a movie.

14. Christopher

Well, it already was a reboot of Zyuranger.

And of all the PR incarnations, MMPR had the shallowest, lamest storytelling and the most effective and charismatic cast. So I don't see any value in redoing the premise of those seasons with a different cast. It would be preserving the weak part without the strong part.

Besides, it's not like the Sentai/PR shows are lacking in formulaic qualities. To a large extent, it's the same thing over and over, just with different actors, different designs, and different execution. So I don't see how a "reboot" of any single PR incarnation would have any advantages over just moving on to adapt the next Sentai season like they've been doing for 17 years already.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Because MMPR is the one I watched and get nostalgic about. I don't give a shit about the rest.

16. Christopher

^Your loss. Aside from its excellent cast, MMPR was awful compared to most of its successor series.

17. SG-17

I felt the quality really dropped after Dino Thunder, the only thing saving it was JDF reprising his role as Tommy Oliver.

18. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

RoJoHen and anyone else who used to watch PR but gave up: I strongly encourage you guys to watch one of the following seasons:
    Power Rangers in Space (although it would help if you were at least partially familiar with the second half of Power Rangers Turbo)
    Power Rangers Lost Galaxy
    Power Rangers Time Force
    Power Rangers RPM

All four seasons are are almost universally praised amongst the PR fandom at large, and feature a much more 'adult' tone.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

But I don't want a more adult tone! I want Rita and Zedd and Putties! I want the Evil Green Ranger and Amy Jo Johnson! I want the Evil Green Ranger to become the awesome White Ranger! I want the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers that I saw on ice when I was 9-years old!

*pouts*

20. Kibbin

Kibbin Commodore Commodore

On ice? as in cryogenically frozen or an ice show?