Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 5 2010, 03:04 AM   #271
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

Re: What games are you playing currently?

Mr Light wrote: View Post
OK, I finally cracked open the Orange Box! I played the first ?14? levels of Portal before I finally got pissed off at it and stopped. It's a very fun and inventive game though, and I usually hate puzzle games.

Alas since I'm not on XBL I can never enjoy Team Fortress 2...
That's fine, the only way to play Team Fortress 2 is on the PC, don't bother with the console versions.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 03:23 AM   #272
Steven
Admiral

Just finished my 2nd play through of Mass Effect 2, so I should get back to my other games in progress and finish them off: Prototype, Final Fantasy XII, and Assassin's Creed.

Although I don't know why I should bother with the last one, since I'm not going to be playing AC2 any time soon. Thanks for the DRM Ubisoft.
Old August 5 2010, 03:46 AM   #273
Mr Light
Admiral

All three of those games were great! Sorry to say that AC2 was light years better than AC1 though

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 03:54 AM   #274
Steven
Admiral

Oh, I know. I've heard all the reviews that basically say it's better. But I ain't buying the game. Ubisoft can go screw themselves with their DRM. I've got a whole bunch of other games that I can pay attention to.
Old August 5 2010, 08:16 AM   #275
Aragorn
Admiral

^ That's only for computer, right? Though Capcom got a lot of hate for having DRM on their Final Fight console marketplace game for North America.

Fat Princess is on sale on PSN, so I downloaded it. Tried playing without reading the instructions.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 10:33 AM   #276
Mr Light
Admiral

Is DRM that thing where you have to be signed online to play it? If so that definitely didn't apply to 360. I don't even have XBL.

Old August 5 2010, 03:01 PM   #277
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

^That's the big variety of DRM that's causing such a stir right now. If your internet has a hiccup or if there's a loss of connection between you and the game servers for any reason, the games generally crashed and you'll lose everything since you last saved. And if your connection goes down or if their servers go down, then you have a completely unplayable game. I'm with Steven in this case... these companies certainly have the right to protect their software, but this new version of DRM is ridiculous and I've boycotted a couple games I was interested in until this DRM gets patched out.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 07:33 AM   #278
Kaijufan
Rear Admiral

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
^That's the big variety of DRM that's causing such a stir right now. If your internet has a hiccup or if there's a loss of connection between you and the game servers for any reason, the games generally crashed and you'll lose everything since you last saved. And if your connection goes down or if their servers go down, then you have a completely unplayable game. I'm with Steven in this case... these companies certainly have the right to protect their software, but this new version of DRM is ridiculous and I've boycotted a couple games I was interested in until this DRM gets patched out.
It's especially annoying if your Steam version of a game has additional DRM.

Kaijufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 10:08 AM   #279
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

And that's why Consoles rock

ATM I'm playing Icewind Dale 2 and just found, Ur-Quan masters (freeware version of Star Control2, or something like that) which I'm trying to figure out, never really played a space sim before , though I've been meaning to give them a try.
After that it's onto Starcraft 2!
Old August 6 2010, 08:15 PM   #280
LitmusDragon
Commodore

I can now report that Dragon Quest IX has the richest post-game of any Dragon Quest game. Which is great because it's on a hand-held, and it's likely to provide me hours of hours of entertainment on several trips I'll be taking over the next few months. Basically once you beat it, it turns into a Nethack type game with random dungeons, bosses, and loot. You can unlock bosses from previous Dragon Quest games, and there's a virtually unlimited amount of random dungeons that can be generated. It's pretty neat.
Old August 8 2010, 02:27 AM   #281
Mr Light
Admiral

I finished Portal! The boss fight was fun. So, will the sequel feature more combat? An actual weapon perhaps? I must admit for the final few stages I absolutely had to consult a video walkthrough to advance... I'm not good at puzzle solving...

Old August 8 2010, 06:36 AM   #282
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

Well then it sounds llike you're gonna have your hands full in the next one, moving air currents and the like make it sound like the next one is gonna be much worse for complex problems.
Old August 8 2010, 09:15 PM   #283
Mr Light
Admiral

I've begun playing Half Life 2, and I really don't see the love for this game. But it is what like 6 years old at this point? You spend the first thirty minutes of the game walking around following people before there's any action. And after that... feels pretty generic. And the levels are pretty confusing about where to go next even without the little obstacle puzzles...

Old August 9 2010, 01:42 AM   #284
Mr Light
Admiral

Holy crap I almost quit Half Life 2. That long, long, LONG level with the airboat? Good god. That's got to be the most awkward vehicle handling I've ever played in a video game. There was this one bit where you jump onto a circular pipe and have to stay on top of it to make the next jump... after 15 tries I was ready to throw the game away but I got it on the last try.

Old August 9 2010, 03:39 PM   #285
stalin2005
Lieutenant Commander

View stalin2005's Twitter Profile

Ha, wait until you drive the car

I love HL2 and the episodes. The beginning sets up the world beautifully and you're never taken out of the experience at any time.