Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 7 2010, 02:16 PM   #1
SG-17
Commodore

Power Rangers

I am surprised this wasn't posted before, I am sure that there are plenty of children of the 80s and 90s here that will appreciate this.

Haim Saban has bought back the rights to the Power Rangers from Disney and he struck a deal with Nickelodeon to show the new 18th season on Nickelodeon in the spring of 2011 as well as running ALL 700odd episodes of the past 17 seasons on Nicktoons starting in the fall of this year.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...goryid=14&cs=1

I only followed the series sporadically, I watched all 3 seasons of Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, I remember watching part of Zeo. I also remember Turbo, In Space, and Lost Galaxy being on but I don't remember watching them. I had no idea about Lightspeed Rescue until the other day. I remember Time Force, Wild Force, Ninja Storm, and Dino Thunder very well. After that I stopped watching so I haven't seen any of S.P.D, Mystic Force, Operation Overdrive, Jungle Fury, and RPM. The new season is called Rise of the Samurai and I might watch it because most of the original producers from the Saban era of Power Rangers will return.

http://henshinjustice.com/2010/05/18...f-the-samurai/

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 02:17 PM   #2
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Power Rangers

This was actually posted about several months ago.
Old August 7 2010, 02:25 PM   #3
SG-17
Commodore

I searched "Power Rangers" in this forum and got nothing related to this. I didn't bother to search in TV & Media because Power Rangers is a sci-fi/fantasy series.
Old August 7 2010, 02:30 PM   #4
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I watched the show fairly consistently through at least the end of Zeo. I would consider buying MMPR on DVD.
Old August 7 2010, 02:35 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

I got a virus warning when I clicked that second link in the initial post.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 02:37 PM   #6
SG-17
Commodore

I don't know why, I didn't get any warning, but here is the link to the article and YouTube video the OP link incorporates.
http://www.gaijinside.com/gaijin/?p=8816
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfsUB...layer_embedded
Old August 7 2010, 05:33 PM   #7
Chris3123
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
This was actually posted about several months ago.
The thread, posted in May:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=121086

SG-17 wrote: View Post
I searched "Power Rangers" in this forum and got nothing related to this. I didn't bother to search in TV & Media because Power Rangers is a sci-fi/fantasy series.
Yeah, I had taken the separation between the two forums quite literally myself too at one point. Turns out either forum can be used if the topic itself isn't about the fiction, but rather the "real world" side of things. Just search the whole forum next time. No reason to limit your search unless your search term is very common.

Anywho, the cast (Rangers anyway) has been revealed by a member of the fan community. This info has been accepted at the big community spots (Rangerboard, etc), so apparently the source is trustworthy.

Alex Heartman (Reese, Red Ranger)
Najee-De-Tiege (Baron, Blue Ranger)
Hector David Jr. (Parry, Green Ranger)
Erika Fong (Sadie, Pink Ranger)
Brittany Pirtle (Ava, Yellow Ranger)
Steven Skyler (Wesley, Gold Ranger)

Rangerboard thread with actor pics
Chris3123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 05:46 PM   #8
Too Much Fun
Commodore

The blue ranger's mask looks like a marijuana leaf logo. I watched the original show as a kid. When I went to the movie and even at 12 knew how horrible it was, the magic was over for me. I can't believe how many spin-offs there are...looks like some kind of record. I'll always remember the black ranger, played by Walter Jones, being one cool dude. I eventually grew bored of the rest of them and was sad when he was replaced.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 05:58 PM   #9
Peach Wookiee
Cuddly Mod of Doom

There's a Wesley in Power Rangers? AAAAAHHH!!!

(Sorry, Trek board... Couldn't resist.)
Peach Wookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 08:03 PM   #10
Kibbin
Fleet Captain

Am I the only one who thinks thouse helmets look kinnda familiar? Especially the red through yellow look like I've half seen the before but not quite the same.
Old August 7 2010, 11:15 PM   #11
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

Peach Wookiee wrote: View Post
There's a Wesley in Power Rangers? AAAAAHHH!!!
I'm hoping for more of the Wyndam-Pryce variety rather than the Crusher stock.

Anyway, those helmets look really familiar to me too. They remind me of the helmets on the Zeo suits.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 11:33 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

Well, the Sentai costumes generally tend to fall into a few classes. There are the ones that are animal-themed, the ones that are vehicle-themed, and the ones that are more geometrical. In these, the visors are based on kanji characters, something that's been done before in Ohranger/Zeo, where the sixth Ranger's helmet was shaped like the kanji for "king." (Which was a great multilayered visual pun, since it's a six-pronged symbol and thus continued the 1-2-3-4-5 pattern of the other Rangers' visors, and since the Japanese word for "king" is oh.)

What bugs me about having a Wesley is that we've already had a Wes, the Red Time Force Ranger.

Old August 8 2010, 02:09 AM   #13
RoJoHen
Awesome

You know, as sick as it sounds, I'd love to see a reboot of the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Maybe turn the Green Ranger saga into a movie.
Old August 8 2010, 03:27 AM   #14
Christopher
Writer

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
You know, as sick as it sounds, I'd love to see a reboot of the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers.
Well, it already was a reboot of Zyuranger.

And of all the PR incarnations, MMPR had the shallowest, lamest storytelling and the most effective and charismatic cast. So I don't see any value in redoing the premise of those seasons with a different cast. It would be preserving the weak part without the strong part.

Besides, it's not like the Sentai/PR shows are lacking in formulaic qualities. To a large extent, it's the same thing over and over, just with different actors, different designs, and different execution. So I don't see how a "reboot" of any single PR incarnation would have any advantages over just moving on to adapt the next Sentai season like they've been doing for 17 years already.

Old August 8 2010, 03:40 AM   #15
RoJoHen
Awesome

Because MMPR is the one I watched and get nostalgic about. I don't give a shit about the rest.