RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,367
Posts: 5,503,791
Members: 25,124
Currently online: 550
Newest member: traedoril

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Inception ends with
reality 58 65.17%
dream 27 30.34%
other 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 5 2010, 01:13 AM   #46
Set Harth
Rear Admiral
 
Set Harth's Avatar
 
Location: Rhovanion
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Considering how preposterous the technology in the film is
By that criterion, we've now effectively relegated the entire Star Trek series, and many other films, to "it was all a dream" status.

But whose dream?

My money's on the St.Elsewhere kid.
__________________
Whatever happens on earth, that up there, that's the endgame.
Set Harth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 01:32 AM   #47
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Set Harth wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Considering how preposterous the technology in the film is
By that criterion, we've now effectively relegated the entire Star Trek series, and many other films, to "it was all a dream" status.

But whose dream?

My money's on the St.Elsewhere kid.
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 06:02 AM   #48
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I want to believe that it was real. Otherwise, the whole movie is just about a guy taking a nap, and none of it matters.
Except that, even if stuff in the movie was "real," it still didn't really happen because, you know, it's a movie. None of it matters except to the extent that all movies matter. The characters & events are as real & important as you want them to be.


Thanks. I didn't realize it was a movie.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 04:50 PM   #49
cheeseyfatmonkey
Commander
 
cheeseyfatmonkey's Avatar
 
Location: Greater London
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

I'm a real vote too, however, I'm voting real with doubts. I thought the spinning top was about to fall over at the end.

My doubt comes from the scene where the van is about to hit the water. In the background under the bridge a freight train is passing by and it made me wonder if this film is full of potential visual clues like this one of if it just a freight train?

Good film
cheeseyfatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 04:47 AM   #50
Ryan
Commodore
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Manonthewave wrote: View Post
I think the movie was designed to leave an audience arguing for years.

That said, I fall in the "the whole movie was a dream" camp. While in "reality, numerous characters tell Cobb to "come back to reality," "wake up," and "who are you to judge what is real?" We are also told from the outset that a totem is used to judge reality from dream. In the third act, we learn that not only is Cobb's totem not his, but he admits to tampering with it. One character points out to another that Cobb, our point of view in this story, breaks every rule he sets. Cobb doesn't know up from down, or reality from dream. And every character and situation in the film is some variation of him talking to himself.
Thing is all Mal has to do is perform a kick back in reality to get Cobb out.

The one place that Inceptions seems to fall apart is the jeopardy of limbo. Despite all the hand ringing, according to the rules of the movie there really shouldn't be much danger to it at all.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 11:13 AM   #51
Pauln6
Rear Admiral
 
Pauln6's Avatar
 
Location: Bristol, United Kingdom
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Ryan wrote: View Post
Manonthewave wrote: View Post
I think the movie was designed to leave an audience arguing for years.

That said, I fall in the "the whole movie was a dream" camp. While in "reality, numerous characters tell Cobb to "come back to reality," "wake up," and "who are you to judge what is real?" We are also told from the outset that a totem is used to judge reality from dream. In the third act, we learn that not only is Cobb's totem not his, but he admits to tampering with it. One character points out to another that Cobb, our point of view in this story, breaks every rule he sets. Cobb doesn't know up from down, or reality from dream. And every character and situation in the film is some variation of him talking to himself.
Thing is all Mal has to do is perform a kick back in reality to get Cobb out.

The one place that Inceptions seems to fall apart is the jeopardy of limbo. Despite all the hand ringing, according to the rules of the movie there really shouldn't be much danger to it at all.
This is the biggest questionmark unless the whole movie takes place in Cobb's limbo, in which case he could already be in a coma and beyond help in reality and Mal is trying to snap him out of it. This could explain why she doesn't appear straght away if she has to track him down in Limbo. It doesn't explain why she acts a bit crazy though so I'm more inclined to think she is a representative of his own subconscious trying to wake him up because the real Mal can't get deep enough.
__________________
Star Trek/Babylon 5/Alien crossover www.youtube.com/user/pauln6

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 04:16 PM   #52
Avalon
Captain
 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Location: Avalon
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

It's reality.

He doesn't need to see the top fall over. He knows it's real. It's why he couldn't stay in limbo with Mal any longer, it's why he could let go of her and his guilt, it's why seeing his kids in limbo would never be enough for him. Dreaming is no substitute...not for Cobb.

He knows he's in reality because he remembers how he got to the house. That's what the whole long trip through the airport and meeting up with Miles is about. He doesn't just find himself at his in-laws' house; he "remembers how he got there".

So...we don't see the top fall over because we don't need to, either...
__________________
Ancient Reed Rager
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 06:15 PM   #53
Ryan
Commodore
 
Location: Lincoln, NE
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Pauln6 wrote: View Post
This is the biggest questionmark unless the whole movie takes place in Cobb's limbo, in which case he could already be in a coma and beyond help in reality and Mal is trying to snap him out of it. This could explain why she doesn't appear straght away if she has to track him down in Limbo. It doesn't explain why she acts a bit crazy though so I'm more inclined to think she is a representative of his own subconscious trying to wake him up because the real Mal can't get deep enough.
Mal tells Cobb to stay in limbo so she's definitely a projection of his subconscious. The movie's never completely clear on the consequences of staying in limbo too long. It seems to be it's less a danger to your physical health (you're just sleeping after all) as it is to your mental health.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 06:38 PM   #54
T'Baio
Admiral
 
T'Baio's Avatar
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Avalon wrote: View Post
It's reality.

He doesn't need to see the top fall over. He knows it's real. It's why he couldn't stay in limbo with Mal any longer, it's why he could let go of her and his guilt, it's why seeing his kids in limbo would never be enough for him. Dreaming is no substitute...not for Cobb.

He knows he's in reality because he remembers how he got to the house. That's what the whole long trip through the airport and meeting up with Miles is about. He doesn't just find himself at his in-laws' house; he "remembers how he got there".

So...we don't see the top fall over because we don't need to, either...
And we have a winner.
__________________
Making my first feature film, Synchronicity
www.synchronicityfilm.ca
IndieGoGo
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 06:50 PM   #55
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral
 
ThunderAeroI's Avatar
 
Location: Perpetually being chased by airplanes
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

I call dream, unless I missed something.

Someone explain how cobb got out of the van when it was underwater, and some punk was loud when he was talking to that old guy. Who was it, and what was the conversation?
__________________
No Where to be found, but everywhere you are - I'll be there looking for ways to save your life.
ThunderAeroI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 08:32 PM   #56
NuFan
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

I agree that you see it start to topple just before it cuts to black.
NuFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 08:37 PM   #57
Ugly Sweater
Trekker4747
 
Ugly Sweater's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Avalon wrote: View Post
It's reality.

He doesn't need to see the top fall over. He knows it's real. It's why he couldn't stay in limbo with Mal any longer, it's why he could let go of her and his guilt, it's why seeing his kids in limbo would never be enough for him. Dreaming is no substitute...not for Cobb.

He knows he's in reality because he remembers how he got to the house. That's what the whole long trip through the airport and meeting up with Miles is about. He doesn't just find himself at his in-laws' house; he "remembers how he got there".

So...we don't see the top fall over because we don't need to, either...

__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Ugly Sweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 09:20 PM   #58
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore
 
Base_Delta_Zero's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Avalon wrote: View Post
It's reality.

He doesn't need to see the top fall over. He knows it's real. It's why he couldn't stay in limbo with Mal any longer, it's why he could let go of her and his guilt, it's why seeing his kids in limbo would never be enough for him. Dreaming is no substitute...not for Cobb.

He knows he's in reality because he remembers how he got to the house. That's what the whole long trip through the airport and meeting up with Miles is about. He doesn't just find himself at his in-laws' house; he "remembers how he got there".

So...we don't see the top fall over because we don't need to, either...

There we go. Now I don't have to post some big in-depth treatise on why the movie ends in reality. If you think the above quote is what happened, you don't really feel the need to articulate your beliefs beyond voting "Reality" - thus the disparity in posts to votes.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 10:30 PM   #59
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I want to believe that it was real. Otherwise, the whole movie is just about a guy taking a nap, and none of it matters.
Except that, even if stuff in the movie was "real," it still didn't really happen because, you know, it's a movie. None of it matters except to the extent that all movies matter. The characters & events are as real & important as you want them to be.


Thanks. I didn't realize it was a movie.
The "" is unnecessary. My comment had nothing to do with your specific perceptions of the movie. I intended it as a broader statement of what I believe was one of Nolan's intentions in ending the movie ambiguously the way he did. The statement, "It's a movie," was more the personal epiphany I had when I was walking home from the theater a bit perplexed.

Why would he make a movie where everything was just a dream? If it's just a movie anyway, then nothing that "really" happened really happened regardless. So why does fiction become less significant if it's a fictional dream instead of fictional "reality"? I think these are the questions that Nolan wants us to ask. (And I'm not entirely sure he wants anyone to answer them.)

But then, I think a lot of Nolan's movies can't be interpreted literally (except for Batman Begins. And I suppose The Prestige can be interpreted literally as well as structurally). His movies are less about characters & events and more about ideas, themes, feelings, & structure. (In this way, Nolan is very much the opposite of modern populist pulpists like James Cameron & George Lucas. Movies like Avatar & Star Wars are much less about exotic ideas and more about using classic heroic archetypes in exciting settings to thrill audiences while reinforcing timeless themes of good vs. evil.)
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 10:39 PM   #60
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral
 
The Borgified Corpse's Avatar
 
Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: vote on Inception's ending (spoilers obviously)

Set Harth wrote: View Post
The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Considering how preposterous the technology in the film is
By that criterion, we've now effectively relegated the entire Star Trek series, and many other films, to "it was all a dream" status.
That's a little different. We don't know exactly how warp drive is supposed to effect FTL travel. It just does. It's an unknown science. Now, if the Enterprise traveled through space with a giant rotary propeller, that would be preposterous because we know that space doesn't work that way.

In real life, we know a lot about dreams. Much of what we know contradicts how "dreams" are treated in Inception.

For example, on a basic level, we know that dreaming is a function of the brain. So why do the devices tap into the wrists instead? (It's like medieval science when they thought that blood was created when the stomach fed nutrients to the liver, that blood contained thoughts, and that the heart was the regulator of where all the thoughts come from. The brain was dismissed as basically a giant radiator.)
__________________
Kegg: "You're a Trekkie. The capacity to quibble over the minutiae of space opera films is your birthright."
The Borgified Corpse is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
christopher nolan, inception

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.