Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 5 2010, 09:02 AM   #91
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

Re: Balance of Terror

Destructor wrote: View Post
What impressed me most about this episode was the closing shot, Kirk walking through the corridors of his ship, resolved, willing to do anything to protect his ship. Even on multiple watchings I find this image very powerful.
I liked that part too. That was the part that always got my attention, it made you think about the beginning of the episode.

I like how the credits are showing as he's walking off along with the music.

It's a technique they used to do a lot, but not as much anymore.

All around its a great episode, with a lot of suspense and some hard-core ship to ship strategy and fighting.

I'm going to attempt to crack the whispering on the ship problem with an explanation;

They may have suspected that the Romulans could tap into their com circuits and listen to the bridge...

Ok, I know that's a long shot, but trying to make that nitpick work somehow...
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 05:25 PM   #92
RookieBatman
Commodore

Timo wrote: View Post
The plot is nothing but combat? Well, no, it also has a cliched spy subplot there. Or had, before rewriting.
It's not a spy subplot, it's a racism subplot. Thinking Spock might be a spy is just one way that Stiles' racism manifests.

Apart from that, the depth of characterization is limited to the heroes worrying about how, when and why to kill the enemy, with "whether" hardly entering the picture.
If killing was all they were worried about, then why was Kirk "Standing by to beam your survivors aboard our ship?"

I thought this was one of the richest episodes for characterization; not in the scene of learning more about a character's history, but really getting to see their true natures shine through dramatic situations. Since you didn't seem to like the characterization here, which episodes do you think did it well?
Old August 6 2010, 05:41 PM   #93
RookieBatman
Commodore

The "I'm soooo not Nazi, I spit on the photo of Dönitz, and I'm weary of war, but I'll try to kill the heroes anyway because, you know, we're the villains" bits? Lenard deserved better than that. Star Trek deserved better than that.
More like "...because, you know, we were ordered to." Which is the whole point, that this is something he doesn't want to do, but honor/duty is more important to him. If Star Trek deserved better than that, then I can only imagine what you must of think of 24th century Klingons.

Every plot is "cliche" to one degree or another. Anyone who knows anything about writing knows that.
Granted. And Trek did do worse than this on occasion. But it's sort of sad that an episode that's so generic also manages to become so iconic...
But there's nothing wrong with generic plots if the characters and events that fill them are interesting. Else why would so many people watch all the generic action movies that come out every year?
Take the Die Hard franchise, for instance. Those movies are fairly paint-by-numbers; it's Bruce Willis' portrayal that makes them at all worth watching.

Nightdiamond wrote: View Post
Destructor wrote: View Post
What impressed me most about this episode was the closing shot, Kirk walking through the corridors of his ship, resolved, willing to do anything to protect his ship. Even on multiple watchings I find this image very powerful.
I liked that part too. That was the part that always got my attention, it made you think about the beginning of the episode.

I like how the credits are showing as he's walking off along with the music.

It's a technique they used to do a lot, but not as much anymore.
I really liked that too. It's sure a whole lot better than the "Scooby-Doo" endings where there's some joke about Spock acting human and everybody laughs.