IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old August 2 2010, 02:09 AM   #1531
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Online

Ronald Held wrote: View Post
That is still up and running?
Tribble is the public test server. It's always up and running, except when they're loading patches.
Old August 2 2010, 08:33 PM   #1532
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

Oh, too many hours playing on the main server.
Old August 5 2010, 06:48 PM   #1533
Kaziarl
Commodore

For anyone who doesn't know and has stepped away from the game for whatever your reason is, this weekend (starting today and going to monday) Cryptic is giving anyone who purchased the game some play time. I figure people might want to check out season two, so I thought I'd pass the word along to you all.

Edit:
Here's the specific text from their site.

To celebrate Season 2's release, we're holding another Welcome Back Weekend!

From Wednesday, August 4, at 11:59 p.m. Pacific until Monday, August 9, at 10:00 a.m. Pacific, anyone who has purchased Star Trek Online can play unrestricted. For more information, check out our Welcome Back Weekend FAQ on the forums.
Old August 5 2010, 10:44 PM   #1534
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Yep. I'm patching (3.2GB!) right now. Should be on in short order.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Old August 6 2010, 02:52 PM   #1535
di_mar
Lieutenant

Quick question. I am downloading the demo currently at a pain-steakingly slow rate of 77kbs/per sec here in the UK. I am really looking forward to playing.
Say I like the game, and I decide to buy, so I do. Do I need to purchase 'game time'? Seems alot to ask more considering people have gone out to buy a game at £20-£30!
Old August 6 2010, 03:01 PM   #1536
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

di_mar wrote: View Post
Quick question. I am downloading the demo currently at a pain-steakingly slow rate of 77kbs/per sec here in the UK. I am really looking forward to playing.
Say I like the game, and I decide to buy, so I do. Do I need to purchase 'game time'? Seems alot to ask more considering people have gone out to buy a game at £20-£30!
As with most MMORPGs, this is a monthly subscription game. The initial purchase includes 30 days of free time, but that time is only activated once you set up a payment method for your recurring subscription. However, when you set up that payment method, you are not charged until the 30 days expire, and any time during that 30 days you can cancel your recurring subscription and still use your free time; they just want that credit card or whatever to make sure the account is connected to a human being intending to play the game, not a spammer buying a disposable account to spam folks.

The monthly fee in the UK is currently 10.34 pounds including VAT. There is a discount for purchasing time in 3-month or 6-month blocks, but that's an upfront charge for the entire block if you do. A lifetime sub costs 192.49.
Old August 6 2010, 04:11 PM   #1537
di_mar
Lieutenant

Oh, 10 pounds doesn't seem too bad. It's just annoying when you've bought the game for 3 times that price!
I remember downloading a trial of WoW. I had to keep updating my demo. I never got to play it in the end :/

I hope STO is worth it! Judging from the comments on here, it seems to be.

On this demo, how long does it enable me to play for?

update: I have to download a patch, apparently? Hm. I am pretty sure this is a recent demo. Maybe its because it's taken a fair week to download!

Is it necessary to download this darn patch? I just wanna play..

Last edited by di_mar; August 6 2010 at 05:06 PM.
Old August 6 2010, 05:59 PM   #1538
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Oh, 10 pounds doesn't seem too bad. It's just annoying when you've bought the game for 3 times that price!
I remember downloading a trial of WoW. I had to keep updating my demo. I never got to play it in the end :/

I hope STO is worth it! Judging from the comments on here, it seems to be.

On this demo, how long does it enable me to play for?

update: I have to download a patch, apparently? Hm. I am pretty sure this is a recent demo. Maybe its because it's taken a fair week to download!

Is it necessary to download this darn patch? I just wanna play..
Yes, you need to download any and all patches that are posted. Remember that your playing on a server over the internet with over a thousand people online at the same time as you. Thus the client you use has to be the same as everyone else as that's how they ensure everyone is playing under the same 'ruleset' (very important for PvP and making PvE fair across the board).
Old August 6 2010, 08:21 PM   #1539
di_mar
Lieutenant

Ah, I see. I suppose it would also make it easier to answer questions, knowing that everybody is using the same type of game/version.
It's at 33.4% now. Hopefully if I leave it on overnight it should be done by morning - in time for a couple of days free..
When you create your ship, will your crew be real people or bots? I've heard people recruiting for fleets in STO, see..
Old August 6 2010, 08:22 PM   #1540
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash

Ah, I see. I suppose it would also make it easier to answer questions, knowing that everybody is using the same type of game/version.
It's at 33.4% now. Hopefully if I leave it on overnight it should be done by morning - in time for a couple of days free..
When you create your ship, will your crew be real people or bots? I've heard people recruiting for fleets in STO, see..
Your crew are bots, but you can join fleets of real players. TBBS has such a fleet.
I think heaven is what you make it. When I close my eyes for the final time, I hope to wake up standing in a grassy, breezy, sunlit field, a green tennis ball at my feet, and a little black lab, with a white diamond on her chest, running right towards me.
Old August 6 2010, 09:42 PM   #1541
Kaziarl
Commodore

Sarek of Vulcan wrote: View Post
Your crew are bots, but you can join fleets of real players. TBBS has such a fleet.
rather idiotic and suicidal bots at times I might add.

I gotta say, I'm enjoying Season 2. I did a mission in Fluidic space last night, and look forward to more such missions.
Old August 6 2010, 10:00 PM   #1542
di_mar
Lieutenant

Sounds great. If they keep expanding the game like this (for free.. takes time though) I wont mind waiting. 'Tis great for professionals who manage to complete all missions/episodes!
Old August 7 2010, 03:04 PM   #1543
Vastator
Lieutenant Commander

Hiya all, I wanted to ask if someone could help me with something. I'd like to sometimes contribute to the Memory Beta wiki. Now i know there is an STO wiki out there but it lacks the information that I am seeking so I was wondering if one of you kind posters might be able to help me.

There is a mission called Mission: Ancestral Sin that takes place on Vulcan I think involving a Romulan delegation. Anyway from what I gather, there is something about a death threat involved and Syrrannites along with some talks with some Vulcan historians. Could someone explain to me what goes on in the mission? I mean in terms of content? What do the Vulcan historians say and all that. Its because I would like to add it to the wiki if possible and can't seem to find anywhere on the net that tells me what the historians and outcome of the mission is.

Now I know some might say play the game, but sadly I cannot afford to so if anyone can help me or PM me, that would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old August 7 2010, 07:11 PM   #1544
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

I like that fact that I can now put all my weapons on autofire, I lets me focus on chasing after a hostile and keeping the sheilds I have facing them from falling.
Old August 7 2010, 08:14 PM   #1545
di_mar
Lieutenant

Well, I have the most rubbishest problem in STO history. And the most common.

ERROR DECOMPRESSING DATA!!!!

No, not Data as in Enterprises' Data, I mean... data. Crap. I have to re-install some of the .hogg files in the darned patch now. :/ Seriously - I have NEVER met such a problematic game!
Closed Thread