TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 6 2010, 02:51 AM   #16
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Re: How IRON MAN 2 ruined Jon Favreau's relationship with Marvel

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
The only part I didn't like was when the Avengers provided some sort of temporary stop-gap for Tony Stark's blood poisoning. I felt that really sapped the urgency out of that plotline.
That was a stupid move. Wouldn't it have been much more interesting if he was literally dying while trying to create the new element in time?
Agenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 03:13 AM   #17
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

First Raimi and now this. Can't they let the directors just tell their story? Look at Nolan. WB doesn't tell him what to do or at least they keep it on the down low
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 03:24 AM   #18
Aragorn
Admiral

So maybe some people here aren't too upset that Sony and Fox have some Marvel properties under their umbrella after all.
Aragorn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 03:49 AM   #19
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

That write-up certainly doesn't go "in-depth" -- it's 621 words, comes from a single, anonymous source, and contains as much editorializing as it does content. Calling it an "article" is a bit of a misnomer.

That said, this doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know -- it was reported ages ago that Favreau had contentious negotiations for his Iron Man 2 contract, we knew that production was frenzied because the release date was locked in before any work had begun on the film. The only nuggets of new information here are that Downey didn't care for the movie, and Favreau may not have been happy with having to insert so much Fury / Avengers material, but I didn't have a problem at all with that stuff. As The Avengers gets closer, the Marvel films are going to have more and more material to set it up -- hence Clark Gregg having such a prominent role in Thor.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 03:53 AM   #20
Dream
Admiral

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Ultimately, I think Iron Man 2's problems had more to do with lightweight villains. While Whiplash was a mean lookin' mofo, he pretty quickly had his ass handed too him in both fight scenes.
That was my biggest problem with, the wrong villain was used for the sequel. They should have used Mandarin. Magic vs Tech would have been much more interesting to watch, since we already got two suited guys fighting in the first movie.

Hopefully, Mandarin will finally appear in the next movie. I think it's pretty obvious that Iron Man 3 is going to get made.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 04:00 AM   #21
Agenda
Fleet Captain

Not to get technical, but doesn't the Mandarin use alien rings, not magic? Or has that changed?
Old August 6 2010, 04:18 AM   #22
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Stone_Cold_Sisko wrote: View Post

Thank god Christopher Nolan won't have to deal with this sort of thing for Batman 3 (...we hope)!
He's brought nothing for the WB but gold and more gold(Batman Begins, The Prestige, The Dark Knight, Inception) I'm sure they'll leave him alone
Old August 6 2010, 04:19 AM   #23
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Favs stated back during his press conference and a couple junkets that Mandarin would be in Iron Man 3. It was just a matter of making it work which is why the break between films is a good thing imo this way they can get the story they want.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 04:24 AM   #24
Dream
Admiral

Yes, the rings are alien the last time I checked, but they might as well been magic. He would have been very different kind of threat. The writers did a good job about setting up the Ten Rings terrorists in the first movie, but for some reason they didn't do anything about it in the sequel.

Iron Man 2 works better if you think of the villains of the movie as Tony's drinking problem and how he deals with the fact that he is going to die. Whiplash and Hammer are there because this is a superhero movie and they are there for Iron Man to punch. They are the least interesting things about the movie for me.

For all the Avengers complaints, Nick Fury and Black Widow did end up having a point in the story. Fury pointed Tony to his father's research and Black Widow helped shut off the hijacked War Machine armor.

At least this movie has no truly horrible scenes like in Spider-Wan 3, like Peter doing his stupid dancing and the writers making Sandman the person that killed Uncle Ben.

Last edited by Dream; August 6 2010 at 04:46 AM.
Old August 6 2010, 04:28 AM   #25
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Timby wrote: View Post
That write-up certainly doesn't go "in-depth" -- it's 621 words, comes from a single, anonymous source, and contains as much editorializing as it does content. Calling it an "article" is a bit of a misnomer.

That said, this doesn't really tell us anything we didn't already know -- it was reported ages ago that Favreau had contentious negotiations for his Iron Man 2 contract, we knew that production was frenzied because the release date was locked in before any work had begun on the film. The only nuggets of new information here are that Downey didn't care for the movie, and Favreau may not have been happy with having to insert so much Fury / Avengers material, but I didn't have a problem at all with that stuff. As The Avengers gets closer, the Marvel films are going to have more and more material to set it up -- hence Clark Gregg having such a prominent role in Thor.
Are you this much fun in real life as you are on these boards?
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2010, 04:45 AM   #26
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I pitched an Iron Man 2 rewrite where we learn at the end of the film that Mandarin has been secretly behind the scenes and manipulating things since the first film. In my version he is responsible for the stuff with the Senate and Justin Hammer wanting his own Stark Tech because it sets up the Armor Wars. It's been a while since I came up with it but forgot the bulk of the details. Tasha was Shield plant sent by Fury to watch Stark and make sure he doesn't get out of control. Bethany Cabe had an increased role as Stark's budding new love interest.

I agree with Dream's statement regarding the real villain being Tony's drinking problem with I think was handled great in the film. Whiplash and Hammer were surface villains.

Old August 6 2010, 04:56 AM   #27
Dream
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I pitched an Iron Man 2 rewrite where we learn at the end of the film that Mandarin has been secretly behind the scenes and manipulating things since the first film. In my version he is responsible for the stuff with the Senate and Justin Hammer wanting his own Stark Tech because it sets up the Armor Wars. It's been a while since I came up with it but forgot the bulk of the details. Tasha was Shield plant sent by Fury to watch Stark and make sure he doesn't get out of control. Bethany Cabe had an increased role as Stark's budding new love interest.

I agree with Dream's statement regarding the real villain being Tony's drinking problem with I think was handled great in the film. Whiplash and Hammer were surface villains.
Yeah, it was really weird how Mandarin was pretty much ignored in IM2. He was has a very strong background presence in the first movie, since it's heavily implied that he is the leader of the Ten Rings group that kidnapped Tony which forced Tony to create the armor in the first place.

The writers should have continued building on that, maybe even have Mandarin appear at the very end of IM2 to set up the sequel since they seemed to already be planning to use Mandarin in IM3.

At least one good thing has resulted from all this. Iron Man may be the first superhero movie franchise that ends having it's best villain in it's third movie instead of the first or second. Also the Avengers should also have a much smaller presence in IM3, since the Avengers movie would have already been released by then. There would really be no point to advertising them anymore in IM3.
Old August 6 2010, 05:10 AM   #28
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think they're going to write it in that Tony has forgotten about the Ten Rings and won't know who the Mandarin is when he appears making it more impactfull when the two actually meet.

Old August 6 2010, 05:11 AM   #29
Agenda
Fleet Captain

I can't disagree more. I thought his drinking problem was very underdeveloped as a subplot. Sure, he's imbibing a little too much at the beginning, but then all of a sudden he's in a drunk slugfest with Rhodey, and then he's cured. It was almost cartoonish in the way it was handled.
Old August 6 2010, 05:13 AM   #30
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post

Yeah, it was really weird how Mandarin was pretty much ignored in IM2. He was has a very strong background presence in the first movie, since it's heavily implied that he is the leader of the Ten Rings group that kidnapped Tony which forced Tony to create the armor in the first place.

The writers should have continued building on that, maybe even have Mandarin appear at the very end of IM2 to set up the sequel since they seemed to already be planning to use Mandarin in IM3.

At least one good thing has resulted from all this. Iron Man may be the first superhero movie franchise that ends having it's best villain in it's third movie instead of the first or second. Also the Avengers should also have a much smaller presence in IM3, since the Avengers movie would have already been released by then. There would really be no point to advertising them anymore in IM3.

That depends on if Marvel wants an Avengers 2. By that time Downey will want to move on(RECAST!)

Evans would probably be in
Jackson's tied to Marvel till he dies
Perhaps ScarJo
Ruffalo would still be fairly fresh and still up for playing Banner
Renner in, unless a Hawkeye movie is in the works