RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 541
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 20 2010, 07:27 AM   #181
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

That guy in the window has caused problems before, because it looks odd and seems really out of place. Who knows - perhaps he's a big headed alien, scrabbling around on his knees looking for a contact lense?

Using the docking port as an aid to scaling is a good approach - it's one thing we saw really clearly (interior wise) after all, when Scotty and Kirk boarded the inspection pod. Logically, the docking port would have to be at least that high.

It's surprising how much evidence there is for this larger design, I always assumed that the prop builders for TMP worked from the officially published scales, set up from day one! Maybe things didn't look quite right (asthetically) at that scale?

Last edited by Mytran; July 20 2010 at 07:40 AM.
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2010, 03:41 PM   #182
blssdwlf
Commodore

I suspect on some level that 305m was what Probert intended but based on reading his website the Production Designer didn't always go with his suggestions (unfortunately).

http://www.probertdesigns.com/Folder...T-RecDeck.html

You might say we're the slide rule carriers that noticed

Last edited by blssdwlf; July 20 2010 at 05:58 PM.
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2010, 04:40 PM   #183
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

"Probert, Probert, PROBERT!"

Expect an answer in the coming days. This spell (almost) always works.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 01:14 AM   #184
blssdwlf
Commodore

Thanks USS Mariner

Some more speculative comparison shots and a side view of the cargo bay/shuttle area. I used the orthographic shot of the Director's Cut Enterprise from Doug Drexler's site for scaling and lining up purposes.

A side effect of the flight deck being lower, I had to push down the hangar deck below it as well to maintain the same height (12') but that also meant that the hangar deck level is lower when it meets up with the cargo bay sliding door lock section. Argh!

Old July 22 2010, 07:24 AM   #185
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

That just looks so wrong...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22 2010, 03:34 PM   #186
blssdwlf
Commodore

If the cargo bay would just fit in a 305m hull

Added a few more items like the shuttle elevators, the floating platform that supports the elevators and checked if shuttles could fit in the hangar deck.

Old July 22 2010, 06:05 PM   #187
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

One of my biggest objections to scaling up the TOS Enterprise was that the dimensions for the TMP ship were more or less fixed and accurate. So much for that.

How does a 355m ship fit the bridge?
Old July 23 2010, 02:22 AM   #188
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Tallguy - I haven't had a chance to try the bridges of the TMP Enterprise out yet but will take a look and see how they fit. Interestingly, I haven't found any reason to upscale the TOS Enterprise. 289m for the TOS Enterprise seems to fit pretty much everything except for the long corridor to the engine room in "The Ultimate Computer" (won't fit in the engineering hull) but I don't have a problem rationalizing they went to the impulse engine room in the primary hull
Old August 2 2010, 06:15 PM   #189
blssdwlf
Commodore

Took a shot at modeling out a portion of the refit-E's vertical rooms of the vertical shaft. This is a close match @ 30mm. Not surprisingly, it seems too tall for the 305m refit-E and barely fits a scaled up 355m one. In anycase, seems bizarre for something that tall to be only held at three points, the top and bottom and a lead to the horizontal shaft...

Old August 2 2010, 06:24 PM   #190
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
In anycase, seems bizarre for something that tall to be only held at three points, the top and bottom and a lead to the horizontal shaft...
Perhaps by the 23rd century it won't seen bizarre at all.
Old August 2 2010, 06:32 PM   #191
publiusr
Commodore

Having the refit essentially built over the top of the TOS Enterprise, with the decks being reworked later on from within could allow a double hull design if done differently.

Wasn't there some line in a novel somewhere about crewmen who wanted privacy getting between hulls or something? Of course, the refit has no thermocoat--depending on who you talk to.
publiusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2 2010, 06:39 PM   #192
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

publiusr wrote: View Post
Having the refit essentially built over the top of the TOS Enterprise, with the decks being reworked later on from within could allow a double hull design if done differently.

Wasn't there some line in a novel somewhere about crewmen who wanted privacy getting between hulls or something? Of course, the refit has no thermocoat--depending on who you talk to.
It sounds like you're combining Uhura climbing around between hulls in Blish's adaptaion of The Naked Time and Roddenberry's description of the privacy chambers (forget what they were called) from the novel of TMP which were described as being bits of unintentionally left over space.
Old August 2 2010, 06:43 PM   #193
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Tallguy - Yeah, "bizarre" was too strong a word. More "interesting" That gives the three points what I assume to be the bottom (reactor), top (???) and horizontal shart (warp nacelles). One or more of those points is probably where the energizers and such tap in.

@publiusr - It looks weird, but I'm starting to get use to the idea of a slightly larger refit-E.
Old August 2 2010, 08:41 PM   #194
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
That just looks so wrong...
But it feeeels so goood.

I wonder if the 355m ship would actually hold the rec deck in it's proper location?

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2010, 12:39 AM   #195
Probert
Starfleet Design

A VERY interesting visit to reality-ville. When under the constraints of a production that had already scheduled it's opening date before the film was finished, it was harder to check relative scales & shapes than I would have liked. But I must say that my Officer's Lounge and saucer-rim Rec Deck would have been a better fit than Michelson's. Ya win some and lose some... hoping the results are better than average.

The Enterprise (refit) I put together was indeed called out at 1,000 feet even (305m) but, as I've stated often, once a design leaves my desk, there is very little I can do to insure it makes it to camera as designed. As for the deck-level discrepancy between the Engineering docking port and Landing Bay level,... there is a ramp leading down from one to the other within that transition corridor.

Keep up the good work,
Andrew-
Probert is offline   Reply With Quote