Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Who Do You Want To Play Superman?
Matthew Bomer 10 10.31%
Henry Cavill 8 8.25%
Chace Crawford 1 1.03%
Christian Howard 2 2.06%
John Barrowman 4 4.12%
Jon Hamm 13 13.40%
Brandon Routh 46 47.42%
Tom Welling 15 15.46%
Other. 18 18.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 11 2010, 10:42 AM   #76
Jetfire

Re: Casting Superman?

So we got Tom Welling as Clark Kent and Brandon Routh as Superman...this movie is going to rawk!

Old August 1 2010, 06:27 AM   #77
Jetfire

Looks like Brandon Routh is the favorite to play Superman again. (According to this poll )

“I certainly would [love to play Superman again]. As much as I say I’m working to shake that off or shake it up, I certainly don’t want to extinguish or get rid of it because it was a great honor and I would love to be able to return as that character.”
http://www.brandonrouthcom.blogspot.com/
Old August 1 2010, 06:31 AM   #78
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Tom Welling or Brandon Routh.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 06:34 AM   #79
Aragorn
Admiral

Tom Welling would bring 10 years of bad writing baggage with him. And isn't Welling a producer on Smallville? It'd be a slap in the face to him to bring him onboard a movie and tell him they want to ignore Smallvile.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 06:41 AM   #80
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

The "bad writing baggage" only matters if Welling is writing the movie. Since he isn't I don't give a goddamn. I like him.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 10:45 AM   #81
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Tom Welling would bring 10 years of bad writing baggage with him. And isn't Welling a producer on Smallville? It'd be a slap in the face to him to bring him onboard a movie and tell him they want to ignore Smallvile.
If they off him an assload of money I think he'll take the slap.
Old August 1 2010, 12:03 PM   #82
Takeru
Fleet Captain

I would like to see Tom Welling as Superman and I would love for the movie to be a continuation of Smallville. Yes, it's not the best show out there, the writing is often questionable and you can really see the limited budget, but those are problems that could easilly be solved by the jump to the big screen.
Of course the movie has to work on its own, so I would only reuse a few actors from the show, Tom Welling, Erica Durance, Michael McKean and Annette O'Toole. Everyone else has to go, Allison Mack and Cassidy Freeman could appear in minor roles (depending on what happens to Chloe and Tess in season 10, I'm not sure they're going to survive), but I don't want Lex, Lana, Kara etc. anywhere near the movie and as much as I like Oliver, there's no place for a second, more experienced superhero in a Superman movie, maybe in a second part, but not in the first.
Takeru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 12:24 PM   #83
Christopher
Writer

Aragorn wrote: View Post
Not necessarily. Producers aren't always strictly loyal to a single interpretation of a fictional character. Most of the major talents who created the DC Animated Universe have gone on to create or produce DC-based shows in incompatible continuities -- Bruce Timm on the DVD movies, Alan Burnett and Stan Berkowitz on The Batman, Glen Murakami on Teen Titans, James Tucker on Legion of Super Heroes and Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Paul Dini on Krypto the Superdog, etc. I think the people who produce shows based on comic books are fully aware that they don't own the characters, that they're just taking something that's been around for decades and offering one variant interpretation of it.

Meanwhile... I just watched the extended cut of Superman: The Movie, wanting to reassess it (and to refresh my memory since the Donner cut of Superman II is coming up in my Netflix queue), and it made me wonder more than ever why anyone would think Brandon Routh was a worthy successor to Christopher Reeve, let alone in a film that was supposed to be a rough continuation of the same continuity. Reeve did a masterful job playing a Clark/Superman who was corny in a very Silver Age way yet completely sincere and charming about it. He had this utterly self-assured amusement, this enjoyment of the little joke he was having with his dual identity, that was nonetheless totally good-natured and innocent, not condescending or mocking in any way. It was a splendid interpretation of Superman, and of course he did a fine job differentiating Clark and Superman. Next to that, Routh was just... one-note. He didn't convey that same spirit or charm or humor at all. He didn't inhabit the role as effortlessly and comfortably as Reeve.

Of the candidates on the list (the ones I'm familiar with), Bomer's the only one that I think could come close to that same kind of charm. Maybe Barrowman could capture the wit, but he tends to come off as a bit full of himself, something Superman would never be.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 02:09 PM   #84
Aragorn
Admiral

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
If they off him an assload of money I think he'll take the slap.
And I'd have to say he's not worth any amount of money. There shouldn't be a $100 million big screen disaster version of Smallville, whether it's merely perceived or actual. But it isn't even worth speculating about since we know the Nolans are smarter than that and won't go the Welling route.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 04:19 PM   #85
Jetfire

Maybe we will get a series of SMALLVILLE made for TV movies with Tom as Superman.
Old August 1 2010, 04:22 PM   #86
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

He's a mediocre TV actor, it's not going to happen.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 04:41 PM   #87
Too Much Fun
Commodore

Having just seen "The Count of Monte Cristo", I definitely think Henry Cavill looks the part (he even has that big superhero chin!), but I don't know how good of an actor he is. His role in the movie was quite small (he did well, though).
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 05:02 PM   #88
Lonemagpie
Writer

If Routh isn't back, then Bomer's the only one who looks anything like the comics character- he has the right chin for it.

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 05:21 PM   #89
Christopher
Writer

I'll never get why anyone would think Routh looks like Superman. He looks more like Spock or Sherlock Holmes to me. His face and voice seem totally wrong for Superman to me.

Bomer definitely has the face, especially the eyes. The only strike against him is that he's a little short for the part, 5'11" or so, but if they cast a small Lois, it shouldn't be a problem.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1 2010, 05:22 PM   #90
Jetfire

I think Christian Howard could pull it off, he has less goofy look than Routh.

He is an unknown and I am not sure going with a TV star is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2ZXSzaUIBQ

He is playing Ken.