IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 29 2010, 01:21 PM   #2776
The Haunting
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Jax wrote: View Post
Starkers wrote: View Post
Linky

Under the home-grown rule, clubs' first-team squads will be restricted to 25 players over the age of 21, of which 10 must be registered in domestic football for three seasons before their 21st birthday. There will be no restriction on players under the age of 21, however.
I just read its 8 players and they must of been signed before the age of 21 and played 3 seasons or more at your club. Looked at Utd and players like Nani & Anderson count but even then Fergie needs to cut his squad by a few players either sell, loan or back up but then back ups can only be 21 or under. Also if you can't meet the 8 home grown rule you can only have a 21 man squad.
Different rules for the Prem and the FL I think.

The 25 man squad rule in the prem is going to shake things up a bit, they're already suggesting that certain players who are injured might not make it into their team's squads and might have to wait for January! At this rate we might end up with a lot of players either stuck in the reserves, or see the likes of Woodgate/Hargreaves etc playing in the Championship soon!

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Derby 1 Stoke 0

Only a friendly, but living near Stoke, that's a welcome result.

Plenty of one-way banter in the office today.

Even at our lowest ebb, we're still better than Stoke.......
Isn't everyone better than Stoke?

I'd heard Doyle looks quite handy, I see Varney scored two last night! Really don't see why we don't give him a go, is he really that bad? I hear as well that despite looking all skinny a few weeks ago, Commons if overweight again already!?

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 09:17 PM   #2777
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Liverpool 2-0 up on Robotnik. Ho hum. I see Roy's been replaced by Mark Hughes at Fulham now - sounds like a good bet to me. An even better bet: Craig Bellamy to be a Fulham player by the end of August.

It's a shame TNS and Bangor both got thrashed. There's real Welsh solidarity going for those guys around here this year! At least TNS can fall into the Europa league once Anderlecht are done with them though - what a payday for a Welsh Premier team!

I'm also still laughing at Celtic last night too. How do you like the Champions League, Joe Ledley? Idiot. Complete idiot.

My season ticket arrived this week actually. I've not been following our pre-season too closely, but I'm hoping we're looking at least competent. We let some deadwood go after Wembley, plus Ledley who did sod all last year anyway, and have Drinkwater in from Man United who's apparently pretty decent. Got to worry when you're under a transfer embargo though, and Motherwell are demanding a payment for Paul Quinn (can they just have him back? And Hudson to Charlton please?).

I reckon mid-table beckons this year. Bristol, Boro and Reading to duke it out at the top. We won't be anyway near the play-offs without strengthening, and it doesn't look like happening. Never mind - it can't always be glory days, can it?
Old July 29 2010, 10:04 PM   #2778
Jax
Admiral

Based our pre season so far and the fact our squad is 2 players less than in May with no new signings I think we can forget about the playoffs right now. Billy D and the entire Forest transfer board are pissing me right off I wish the lot of em would just fuck off.

I will prob say 15th.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 10:48 PM   #2779
Mr Radioactive
Lieutenant Junior Grade

In the Bundesliga the clubs have to provide evidence that they're in good financial health. This system should be implemented in England, and in the Champions League too.
Mr Radioactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 09:36 AM   #2780
The Haunting
Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Based our pre season so far and the fact our squad is 2 players less than in May with no new signings I think we can forget about the playoffs right now. Billy D and the entire Forest transfer board are pissing me right off I wish the lot of em would just fuck off.

I will prob say 15th.
I'm actually surprised Billy is still there. I can't see you dropping that low, I'd be more inclined to say just outside the playoffs...having said that if Billy doesn't give a shit anymore that might make a difference.

From a personal viewpoint I'm with your board on this, Billy with a blank cheque book is not what you want. I think unfortunately he already has his excuses in place for when he walks/engineers his own sacking.

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post

I reckon mid-table beckons this year. Bristol, Boro and Reading to duke it out at the top. We won't be anyway near the play-offs without strengthening, and it doesn't look like happening. Never mind - it can't always be glory days, can it?
Really? The only one of those three I can see mixing it at the top is Boro (or New Celtic as they must surely be now known) I think it'll take Coppell a season at least to get Bristol in shape, and Reading?

I have a feeling we're going to finish between 10th and 7th, thus annoyingly just missing out on the play offs!

Old July 30 2010, 02:05 PM   #2781
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ I think the current vogue term is McBoro. Forest 15th? No chance you'll go that low!

Bristol are making good signings and Coppell's a good manager. Couple that with the uselessness of 3/4 of the league and I give them a good shout of being up there.
Old July 30 2010, 03:56 PM   #2782
Jonny
Lieutenant Commander

Liverpool played well last night with some youngsters showing promise so I'm chuffed lol. Nice to see Ngog get a couple of goals.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 05:02 PM   #2783
Jax
Admiral

No chance you'll go that low!
My friend you've obviously never seen Forest in the playoffs where we can blow 2 goal leads in a blink of the eye With Forest theres always more lower.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old July 30 2010, 05:56 PM   #2784
Jonny
Lieutenant Commander

I think Forest will do well this year if they can keep the majority of their best players I think they could be in the playoffs or just outside of it come the end of the season imo.
Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 01:51 AM   #2785
Jax
Admiral

Billy doesn't know his best system IMO and we still lack that winger that can rip a team to parts ever since Commons Left. I really respect the hard working Cohen but on the other wing we could do with a little bit of flair, maybe Peter Wittingham who we've been trying to sign for 12 months.

Also I'd prefer to play a 5 man midfield so we can get the best out of both Majewski and McGugan because we did not get enough goals from midfield last season and had mis firing forwards with the exception of Earnshaw so no need to play 2 up front. I would also love us to sign Nickey Shorey who cannot find a PL club so should suck it up and drop a league.

From our squad I rate highly...

Camp
Gunter
McKenna
McGugan
Majewski
Earnshaw
Cohen

I feel any of those could make it into the PL with a team and the rest of squad is very so/so.
Old July 31 2010, 02:14 AM   #2786
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Mr Radioactive wrote: View Post
In the Bundesliga the clubs have to provide evidence that they're in good financial health. This system should be implemented in England, and in the Champions League too.
And La Liga.

One minute Barcelona are having to borrow money to player wages, the next they're bidding £30m for Fabregas! And then you've got the Spanish royal family constantly bailing out Real Madrid.....

Forest should be there or thereabouts for the playoffs I'd have thought. Although if I were you I'd get rid of Billy as soon as I possibly could, he'll only stick the knife in your back in the end.
Old July 31 2010, 04:43 PM   #2787
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

David James to Bristol City. Unbelievable. My Bristol prediction stands.
Old August 1 2010, 06:36 PM   #2788
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I quite like this little piece in the Observer today http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...preview-season Gives a nice little taste of what people are thinking or looking forward to this season. And the hate figures section is always good. I'm hurt that Cardiff apparently dislike Swansea's Alan Tate (fuck yes we do, him and that.... Pratley and Ashley Williams) yet Swansea hate everything about Cardiff! Amused by all the people tipping us to go up as well haha. The Cardiff representative has got it more or less spot on for me.
Old August 2 2010, 04:21 PM   #2789
The Haunting
Admiral

David James to Bristol City. Unbelievable. My Bristol prediction stands.
Ok I'm starting to see things your way now...kinda nice to see a man putting his family above a paycheck (not that he's poor by any stretch of the imagination, but reckon a whole host of other teams would have paid him more than City will.)

Talking of oldies, I see Sol is back in black and white stripes again, hopefully he will play more than one game for Newcastle

Old August 3 2010, 01:28 AM   #2790
Jax
Admiral

Last season I got right the top 3 and also who was going down so am going to have another go this year...

My PL 2010-2011 Prediction
1. Chelsea
2. Man Utd
3. Arsenal
4. Manchester City
5. Tottenham Hostpur
6. Liverpool
7. Everton
8. Aston Villa
9. Stoke City
10. Sunderland

11. Birmingham City
12. Fulham

13. Blackburn Rovers
14. West Ham Utd
15. Bolton Wanders
16. Newcastle Utd
17. Wolves
18. West Brom

19. Wigan
20. Blackpool

Championship
Winners = Hull City
Runners Up = Cardiff City
Playoff Winner = Ipswich Town

I go for Hull because they have a good manager in Pearson and have not loss too many players from there squad. I pick Cardiff because well its about time after so many near misses over recent years. Ipswich Town bar a poor start would of made it into the top 6 last year with the form they shown from Nov-May so I feel they will avoid the dodgy start this time around.

I have Leeds to go right back down also but thats enough picks from me.