RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 428
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old July 29 2010, 06:13 PM   #1
Oso Blanco
Commodore

Question about the Seamless Branching feature on the TOS-BDs

I'm still undecided on wheather to buy the TOS BluRays, because I don't want the new FX, just the original episodes in HD resolution.

So, my question is ... through the seamless branching function, do I really get the complete original episodes with the old special effects? Is the opening theme the original one as well? I heard that the new versions had the music re-recorded.

Can anyone help me out with this information?
Old July 29 2010, 09:24 PM   #2
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Re: Question about the Seamless Branching feature on the TOS-BDs

Yes, you can choose to only watch the episodes with the original effects. You can also choose to listen to the mono track with (for the most part) is about the same as the original sound mix as the originals.

However, there are a couple of episodes which incorrectly have the new opening credits, even when you choose to watch the original version. The rest of the episode is fine, just the credits got screwed with.

You can also listen to the original sound mix over the new effects, so you never have to listen to that re-recording ever, even if you're in the mood for the new footage.
Old August 5 2010, 06:28 PM   #3
Oso Blanco
Commodore

So, if I listen to the original sound mix, I'll get the original soundtrack including the original opening theme? Are the seamless branched versions exactly as the unaltered, original episodes?
Old August 5 2010, 07:54 PM   #4
trekkier
Lieutenant Commander

I got the blurays and when ever im watching the remastered versions, and it goes to an effects shot, it kinda stutters then keeps playing. Has anybody else had this problem?
Old August 5 2010, 07:58 PM   #5
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

trekkier wrote: View Post
I got the blurays and when ever im watching the remastered versions, and it goes to an effects shot, it kinda stutters then keeps playing. Has anybody else had this problem?
No, smooth as an android's bottom (now who said that? ) for me! What player do you have, is it a profile 1.0 machine? Does it have the latest firmware installed?
Old August 5 2010, 08:19 PM   #6
Grant
Fleet Captain

Never had a stutter problen with any of the 3 seasons.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5 2010, 08:29 PM   #7
trekkier
Lieutenant Commander

its not connected to the internet (should probably do that) its a samsung bluray player, i just got it this past xmas. I figured id be ok, but maybe i do need to update it
Old August 5 2010, 08:43 PM   #8
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

trekkier wrote: View Post
its not connected to the internet (should probably do that) its a samsung bluray player, i just got it this past xmas. I figured id be ok, but maybe i do need to update it
trekkier, most manufacturers allow you to download firmware from their respective Web Sites - after which you simply burn a CD and pop it in your player. I prefer updating my machines with this method, as it's not not been unknown for certain players to get "bricked" if connection fails whilst updating.
Old August 5 2010, 09:14 PM   #9
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
So, if I listen to the original sound mix, I'll get the original soundtrack including the original opening theme? Are the seamless branched versions exactly as the unaltered, original episodes?
Yes. There are some sound differences, such as the exterior ship rumble used in all three seasons, and a couple of lines of dialog were "repaired." These are so minor, most people wouldn't notic - so of course, I noticed...

In case you're curious, in Friday's Child, Kras, the crass Klingon, said (during the climax) "You and your primitive knives and weapons!" The ADR / looping was godawful (as it often was) so it sounded choppy. This was "fixed" in both sound mixes to have him say "you and your primitive knives and your weapons." The second "your" is obviously taken from somewhere else and sounds just as bad, if not worse, than the original ADR.

The second example is from Day of the Dove. They replaced a word with the same word used in a difference inflection. Kirk said "that'll take us out of the galaxy." Originally, "galaxy" had almost a questioning inflection. It was replaced with Shatner using the word with a more certain inflection. I never understood why this was a necessary adjustment.

Asdie from the stuff listed, the mono soundtrack is as close as you're gonna get to the original sound mix. It's not really correct, but it's close.
Old August 12 2010, 06:03 AM   #10
Oso Blanco
Commodore

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Yes. There are some sound differences, such as the exterior ship rumble used in all three seasons, and a couple of lines of dialog were "repaired." These are so minor, most people wouldn't notic - so of course, I noticed...
Thank you for this insightful answer, I was looking for something like that. Do you know if those changes had already been there on the DVD edition or is it new on the BluRay? Or are there any differences between the DVD and the BD sound apart from the mono/stereo mix.
Old August 12 2010, 10:06 AM   #11
Mr Darcy
Lieutenant Junior Grade

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
smooth as an android's bottom (now who said that?

Commander William Thomas Riker in Star Trek: Insurrection.

Where and when can I pick up my espresso machine?
Mr Darcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 10:14 AM   #12
Warped9
Admiral

I think the boxed DVD versions are closer to the originals. But even there there are changes. Such as photon torpedo sound f/x added to the phaser bursts in "Balance Of Terror." There are a few other instances as well.

The HD versions are interesting in some respects yet often I think they show too much as TOS was never meant to be sen at the resolution--too many sins can show through.
Old August 12 2010, 11:39 AM   #13
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Warped9 wrote: View Post
The HD versions are interesting in some respects yet often I think they show too much as TOS was never meant to be sen at the resolution--too many sins can show through.
I can't agree with this, Warped9. The detail revealed on many of the epsidoes, the beautiful colours, the lovely contrast balance etc; all a revelation. When delivered at 1080p/24hz with the right equipment it's outstanding. Also, please consider DVD begins to show its resolution limitatons when viewed on large monitors/projectors. Honestly, I really struggle to watch any but the best encoded DVD's from my collection, and even they are tiresome to view in comparison to Blu-ray. Trust me, many DVD's look like a horrible, pixelated, artifact ridden mess. As larger monitors become more mainstream, HD sources will be far more important.

Last edited by LOKAI of CHERON; August 12 2010 at 03:53 PM.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2010, 06:26 PM   #14
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Thank you for this insightful answer, I was looking for something like that. Do you know if those changes had already been there on the DVD edition or is it new on the BluRay? Or are there any differences between the DVD and the BD sound apart from the mono/stereo mix.
These changes were on the DVD releases as well. The sound mix on the DVDs and the BD seems roughly the same, but I didn't do much of a comparison since I just prefer the mono sound track. All of the "changes" seem to be the same in both the DVD and BD edition. There were two sound and scene editing problems on the individual volume releases (before the season sets) which were subsequently corrected.
Old August 16 2010, 09:51 AM   #15
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

I own the blu-rays of all three seasons, and watch then with the original FX. And they are glorious. You haven't seen Trek until you've seen it in HD.

To more specifically answer your questions...

Each episode title gives you a choice: watch (episode title) with enhanced visual FX, watch (episode title) with original FX. And from the same menu screen you can choose sterio whatever-it-is sound or mono soundtrack. so, yes, you can watch each episode from beginning to end in HD with all the original titles with the original theme music recording and original FX. When you choose original FX, it gives you the original theme track; when you choose enhanced FX, it gives you the newly recording theme.

Hope that helps.

I don't believe the original unaltered versions of the episodes as aired on NBC have ever been released in any format.