Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 27 2010, 03:34 PM   #61
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

Re: My Pet's Cuter Than Yours, So Suck It

scotpens wrote: View Post
Yeoman Randi wrote: View Post
. . . I live next door to a certified crazy cat lady who leaves dishes of food out for all the strays and neighborhood cats. What has happened over the years is the cats mate and produce more and more kittens. In fact, hundreds of kittens, who become cats that mate again and again. The problem became so horrible that i was forced to call every agency under the sun to help, but thanks to bullshit beaurocracy, no one could help me. Her house STINKS as does mine thanks to all the cats who use my house, roof, front porch and yard as their own personal litterbox.
I don't know where you live, but can't the local animal control authorities or the local SPCA or equivalent be of any help? Sounds like the situation is bad for the cats and for the neighbors, and it's creating a health hazard.
SmoothieX wrote: View Post
^The local health department is another tree you can bark up.

Thanks for your suggestions, but i have tried every avenue. She was given citations from the health dept. but thats all they can do. I'm pretty sure she's moved the dishes into the backyard now, and they cannot legally go onto her property. Truth is, i use to trap them (in a humane trap) and have caught over 120 cats and kittens. I would bring them to the humane society and they would put them up for adoption (except for the extremely feral ones whch they unfortunately had to put down). Because none of the cats ever get spayed or neutered it is just a continuing cycle. Anyway, the humane society started charging $50 per cat brought in, so i can't bring them there anymore. I warned them that if they charged people the feral population would increase tenfold, because NO ONE is going to pay $50 to bring in a stray.

I've seen the population start to grow again. There's currently a couple of new litters now, about 8 new kittens that i'd say are about 3 or 4 months old. It's going to get very bad here soon. It depresses the shit out of me.

I think i may have to go into her backyard when she's not home to confirm whether or not she's putting the food down there. It would all be so simple if she stopped feeding them. Then they'd just find someplace else to go. But by doing what she thinks is the right thing is really the wrong thing as it only leads to more cats coming to her house and multiplying.
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2010, 02:10 AM   #62
DBR
Vice Admiral

^^^ See if you can get the media to run a story. They love crazy cat lady/animal endangerment stories, it gets their readers/viewers all fired up. Maybe someone will take notice after that.
Old July 28 2010, 02:22 AM   #63
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
MetalPants wrote: View Post

My cat, Cleo.
I had a siamese (Muffin) when I was little that looked just like Cleo. Many siamese cats have really skinny faces but I like the look of Cleo and Muffin.
What you're describing is the difference between the Modern (ugly) Siamese and the Traditional/Applehead Siamese (sometimes even seems to be known as Tonkinese). I much prefer the traditional type myself.

DBR wrote: View Post
^^^ See if you can get the media to run a story. They love crazy cat lady/animal endangerment stories, it gets their readers/viewers all fired up. Maybe someone will take notice after that.
Good idea if you're getting a bureaucratic runaround. Heck, maybe even Animal Planet would be interested.

And here's my family cat...just one. She's a little girl...13 years old, very compact...short and stout, about 12 pounds but very small. When we first got her, they thought she was about 12 weeks old at the shelter, but the vet said she was 16 weeks old and that she would "always shop in the petite section." I've almost forgotten what a full-sized cat is like!

Old July 28 2010, 04:56 AM   #64
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Gary Mitchell wrote: View Post
MetalPants wrote: View Post

My cat, Cleo.
I had a siamese (Muffin) when I was little that looked just like Cleo. Many siamese cats have really skinny faces but I like the look of Cleo and Muffin.
What you're describing is the difference between the Modern (ugly) Siamese and the Traditional/Applehead Siamese (sometimes even seems to be known as Tonkinese). I much prefer the traditional type myself.
My cat wasn't ugly.
Old July 28 2010, 05:05 AM   #65
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

There are exceptions to every rule, of course.

But overall, with the significant majority of examples, I think the modern Siamese type looks very unhealthy and distorted.
Old July 28 2010, 06:30 AM   #66
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

And here's my family cat...just one. She's a little girl...13 years old, very compact...short and stout, about 12 pounds but very small. When we first got her, they thought she was about 12 weeks old at the shelter, but the vet said she was 16 weeks old and that she would "always shop in the petite section." I've almost forgotten what a full-sized cat is like!

Awww! What a cutie! I like the rather unimpressed expression on her face.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2010, 06:42 AM   #67
gturner
Admiral

There are exceptions to every rule, of course.

But overall, with the significant majority of examples, I think the modern Siamese type looks very unhealthy and distorted.
I just received a text message from the Siamese director of Human Relations. He said, "We will kill you for your insolence and eat your monkey brain."

My kitty, who is not Siamese, didn't twitch a whisker at the threat. I wouldn't take it seriously. Cats are always threatening to kill us and eat our brains, but their inchoate rebellion always seems to end when they hear a can opener.
gturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2010, 02:23 PM   #68
trekkiedane
Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane

Dang

How do you photograph something fuzzy that is more interested in anything but the camera -AND doesn't like the flash:

Old July 28 2010, 03:29 PM   #69
Yeoman Randi
Vice Admiral

^ O M G !!!!!!! CUTENESS OVERLOAD!!!!!!
Yeoman Randi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2010, 04:03 PM   #70
SmoothieX
Vice Admiral

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
Dang

How do you photograph something fuzzy that is more interested in anything but the camera -AND doesn't like the flash:

Drug it heavily beforehand.
SmoothieX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 12:59 AM   #71
KimM
Rear Admiral

our little kitty is five years old and 7.5 lbs. she's persian - we got her a "lion cut" for the summer and we had to smile at how scrawny she is without her fur - she's really quite insubstantial!
Old July 29 2010, 01:04 AM   #72
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

auntiehill wrote: View Post

Awww! What a cutie! I like the rather unimpressed expression on her face.
Yes, she's definitely been known to give us the "We Are Not Amused" face.

Yet when she gets excited, she looks like a total kitten!

Redshrt--Ours is a real surprise to pick up. She looks tiny, but she's like a little bowling ball.
Old July 30 2010, 02:41 AM   #73
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore

I won't dare even think about putting a picture of my critters on here with all those cats around . I have two gerbils - a male, Michael, and a female, Cassie. They live separately side-by-side. I also have a Guinea Pig, Tulip, who has her own 27 inch by 71 inch cage.
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 04:28 AM   #74
PKTrekGirl
Arrogant Niner Thug

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to PKTrekGirl

C. Cole-Chakotay wrote: View Post
I won't dare even think about putting a picture of my critters on here with all those cats around .
Shoot...there is such a massive number of cats represented in this thread that I don't even dare post photos of my 4 lb Yorkshire Terrier...who is the cutest thing ever....but who would definitely be at a disadvantage among all of these cat-lovers!

When did dogs go out of vogue? I must have missed the memo.

Star Trek XI - "You know, if you have ten extra sombreros lying around, I have an idea on how to improve your current avatar..." - Samuel T. Cogley
PKTrekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30 2010, 04:57 AM   #75
Ar-Pharazon
Rear Admiral

SmoothieX wrote: View Post
Drug it heavily beforehand.
Geordi: "I've got an idea. How about a phaser? A low-stun setting at just the right moment might do the trick"
Data: "Geordi, I cannot stun my cat"

My two:

Maya, now almost 8. I got her from my sister when she was about a year old.

Gremlin, almost 6. I got him from a local shelter when he was about 10 weeks old.

And both, in the sun a few years ago. Hard to tell from this picture, but Gremlin is about twice the size & weight of Maya.
Ar-Pharazon is offline   Reply With Quote