To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 26 2010, 06:22 AM   #1
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

"Glinn" Kattell Seskal--another Seska alter ego

I've come up with a drawing that shows what this Obsidian Order agent could have looked like in an assignment as an agent spying on the Cardassian Guard.

I named her Kattell Seskal, figuring on the possibility that like Elim Garak, the "Kattell" that "Ensign Seska" spoke of could have been none other than herself. As for Seska/Seskal...it seemed like a rather obvious connection.

Just a quick sketch...nothing refined.

Old July 27 2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Location: Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space station
Re: "Glinn" Kattell Seskal--another Seska alter ego

Nice. Her braids seem a little too fine, but I like it nevertheless. There are so few ladies in armours, any new sketch is welcome.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Gul Re'jal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 01:57 PM   #3
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

The braids were TOUGH to do--they do seem very thin and very tight in the pics I've seen--but this was just a quick drawing, not a refined portrait. (One note about that armor...it's a good thing Cardassians seem to be a bit smaller-chested than human women, otherwise the armor could be a problem!)
Old July 27 2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

I'm not sure Natima Lang could be called smaller-chested

But those serving in the military surely managed to work it out somehow.

"Reagan, it appears, is really only an ardent unionist if the unions in question are in Poland" - Stephen King, Skeleton Crew
Old July 27 2010, 06:31 PM   #5
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

A Glinn is like an LCDR or CDR right?
CuttingEdge100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2010, 12:52 AM   #6
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

According to the canon, yes, I'd say it's a high rank, such as cmdr.

But in the TerkLit for some reason it's just a Lt. Never made sense to me

Old July 28 2010, 01:46 AM   #7
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
I'm not sure Natima Lang could be called smaller-chested

But those serving in the military surely managed to work it out somehow.
Well, Natima Lang wasn't flat, but lemme put it this way--I have never seen a Cardassian woman anywhere near as well endowed as a Dabo girl! In terms of bra size, I would say no more than B or maybe C.

CuttingEdge100 wrote: View Post
A Glinn is like an LCDR or CDR right?
Gul Re'jal wrote: View Post
According to the canon, yes, I'd say it's a high rank, such as cmdr.

But in the TerkLit for some reason it's just a Lt. Never made sense to me
I disagree completely with the Treklit decision because it completely flies in the face of what we saw Damar doing while in the role of a glinn. Had we not had that extensive look into Damar's duties, I could maybe see justifying that it was a lower rank, but there is no question that Damar was Dukat's XO.
Old July 28 2010, 01:02 PM   #8
Gul Re'jal
Commodore

Precisely. Damar was Dukat's aide and he was a glinn. Daro and Telle were Macet's - glinns too.

And Damar was getting promoted to a gul (after finding a way to take down to minefield). To gul from glinn, sooo... to "captain" from "lieutenant"? I have no idea who assumed that glinn was not a high rank and now writers have to follow that example.

Old July 28 2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Had we not seen Damar, I think that the position of Macet's and Lemec's glinns could have been interpreted in different ways. But once we saw Damar, that sealed the deal, and in MY opinion, the only thing we had left was to understand why the other two guls had their 2 most high-ranking officers aboard the Enterprise at the same time. (Which I do think there was a reason for, personally.)
Old July 28 2010, 03:29 PM   #10
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

^ I think in Lemec's case he brought his Glinns on board simply to maintain a balance with the starfleeters. Aside from that there was no good reason to have them there.

Perhaps Macet did the same thing but with the assumption that Daro rather unique sensitivities would help sooth tensions...which alas did not work as planned...

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2010, 04:55 PM   #11
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Sketch looks pretty refined to me... good job.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 01:03 AM   #12
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thor Damar wrote: View Post
^ I think in Lemec's case he brought his Glinns on board simply to maintain a balance with the starfleeters. Aside from that there was no good reason to have them there.

Perhaps Macet did the same thing but with the assumption that Daro rather unique sensitivities would help sooth tensions...which alas did not work as planned...
Personal theory: Macet was trying to establish trust by bringing both his highest-ranking officers aboard the ship. After all, if Picard wanted to kill all three and then have a better chance to pick off the Trager, he would have the opportunity to do it.

Lemec knew what Macet had done and thought he could fake the same kind of earnestness--but wound up with Jellico instead and it didn't go over well.

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Sketch looks pretty refined to me... good job.
Thanks!
Old July 31 2010, 01:10 AM   #13
BooThePun
Ensign

Maybe Glinn is a rank with degrees? I.e. eighteenth-early-nineteenth century navies had up to four different grades of Lieutenant and all were referred to as "lieutenant" unfortunately, I'm not sure if we heard other Cardassian ranks besides glinn and gul, but it always seemed silly to try and match alien rank systems with Starfleet's.
BooThePun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 02:43 AM   #14
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

At least in my own work, there isn't a perfect correspondence, and age tends to provide some gradations in ranks. Still, I think that having a glinn go all the way from junior officer to XO doesn't make sense.