Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 121 71.18%
Above average 40 23.53%
Average 6 3.53%
Below average 3 1.76%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 26 2010, 05:41 PM   #331
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

OR maybe we saw everybody wake up on the plane!
Old July 26 2010, 06:06 PM   #332
Level 2 Diagnostic
Captain

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Weren't the 'people' being taken out by sniper rifles constructs?
Watanabe's character didn't even know he was shot for a minute or two. So, obviously he didn't see the person who shot at him and he didn't feel the bullet hit him, yet he still got shot anyway. It wasn't a matter of him "believing" he had been shot, he had actually been shot, by a gun in somebody's subconscious.

It really is the equivalent of me dreaming about a clock, and the clock in the dream keeps perfect time. Or I dream about googling something, and get the exact same results as googling something when I'm awake. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
Level 2 Diagnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 06:59 PM   #333
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Keep in mind that the weapons and bullets were not actually part of the designed dream---they were just the representations of the mind's defense training against Extraction. So yes, they'd have an effect even if the intruders didn't notice right away.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 07:02 PM   #334
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

The film has garnered attention as an orignal work that's skillfully made in a time of cinematic blandness. However, it is far from a classic film. I compare it to the latest magician's trick, it's only a short time before people see right through it, and will be pissed at the magician for insulting their intelligence.
Old July 26 2010, 07:02 PM   #335
RoJoHen
Awesome

Seems like a pretty bold claim.
Old July 26 2010, 07:11 PM   #336
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I stand by it. I find aspects very intriguing. I have always been a fan of films that hit on philodsophical beats - and have always wanted to see a good action film that does that, and the most intriguing notion of the film is the idea that the idea itself that is used in an inception is soemthing very basic simple in both Mal's case (her world is a dream) and the Murphy's cas. Aside from the simple idea in Mal's story, which is really cool, I find that whole plot bland and unmoving, and Murphy's relaitonship with his father became more interesting to me.

But the film has way too many stretches in believeability, way too much exposition to be enjoyed. And it seems that Nolan is constantly trying too hard to fool his audience that you can't relly enjoy it.
Old July 26 2010, 07:12 PM   #337
T'Baio
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
...it's only a short time before people see right through it, and will be pissed at the magician for insulting their intelligence.
That's total bunk. It may not be as genius level intelligent as some make it out to be, but it's hardly an insult to intelligence. If it was, you'd have to make the same claim for pretty much every film made.

Which I suppose you'll do now.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 07:15 PM   #338
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

It is an intelligent film. What I meant was that, once people see through the artifice, once they see through the manipulation, they will feel as if it is an insult to their intelligence.
Old July 26 2010, 07:16 PM   #339
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I think you're overestimating the cinema-going public's capacity to care that much.
Old July 26 2010, 07:19 PM   #340
RoJoHen
Awesome

I stand by it. I find aspects very intriguing. I have always been a fan of films that hit on philodsophical beats - and have always wanted to see a good action film that does that, and the most intriguing notion of the film is the idea that the idea itself that is used in an inception is soemthing very basic simple in both Mal's case (her world is a dream) and the Murphy's cas. Aside from the simple idea in Mal's story, which is really cool, I find that whole plot bland and unmoving, and Murphy's relaitonship with his father became more interesting to me.

But the film has way too many stretches in believeability, way too much exposition to be enjoyed. And it seems that Nolan is constantly trying too hard to fool his audience that you can't relly enjoy it.
Well, it was the most enjoyable and satisfying movie-going experience I've had in years, and completely disagree with all of your compaints.
Old July 26 2010, 11:50 PM   #341
crouteru
Captain

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
T'Baio wrote: View Post
I'm getting a feeling that people who find Inception confusing or complicated are actually dumb people.

Just a feeling.
There's alot of potential for "Inception" t-shirts

I got "Inception" on the front

"You didn't" on the back
Excellent I would definately get one of those!
crouteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 12:57 AM   #342
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

I saw this today and I had to give it an excellent. I admit it had a few issues here and there but it was an all around amazing ride, one I plan on taking again and again. It was intense, emotional, riveting, exciting, nail biting and thought provoking... so much so I am STILL processing everything though. And the last hour was nothing short of amazing. Not only did Nolan keep the ball continually rolling at near breakneck speeds, he also kept everything clear and concise editing wise. I knew what was happening in all three levels without even missing a beat. And I have to tell you that was no small feat to do but he managed it very well.

But the part I loved more than anything about the film was the fact I was actually mentally engaged while entertained. As a very active film consumer, I haven't felt that in years.

And I also have to mention Tom Hardy. Out of all the fantastic characters I saw on the screen, his was the most memorable. Of course, Joseph Gordon-Levitt was amazing also. And Ken... awesome.

On a personal note, I walked out of the theater wondering if this is going to be the next Blade Runner. Will we be wondering twenty years from now if Cobb actually got out? Part of me wants to say yes.

Fooling his audience? Fooling them with what... thought? Stand by your assumptions if you wish but the magician hasn't fooled anyone with a trick. He is introducing ideas, which by his own admission, are like a virus. And that virus is working on me as I type this. I agree there may be some residual backlash later once people start to pick the film apart but we are not looking at an M. Night Shyamalan movie here. This is a high concept idea cloaked behind a complex... a very complex... action thriller.

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I'm getting a feeling that people who find Inception confusing or complicated are actually dumb people.

Just a feeling.
I hate to say this but that statement may be accurate. Sadly, viewers are not used to being engaged anymore by blockbuster movies. They expect some special effects, explosions and a few laughs but many do not know how to digest anything that brings more to the table. But I love that Nolan is bringing thoughtful "art house" stories into the realm of the Hollywood Blockbuster again. I can't help but think that Chaplin, DeMille, Hitchcock, Kubrick and Wilder would be pleased.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 01:42 AM   #343
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

One thing that did bug me a bit....why wasn't the gravity going all wonky on the ice level as well?
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2010, 01:50 AM   #344
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

I still don't know why projections of dream boxes worked like actual dreamboxes
Old July 27 2010, 01:51 AM   #345
AstroSmurf
Vice Admiral

^ They were just a representation of the actual dream initiation boxes, just as the weapons were. Think of them as physical representation of a mental trigger. The characters weren't actually hitting the button and sending chemicals. Hitting the button representation caused the characters to believe they were initiating a second or third dream within the main dream. The mental safes or vaults would work in the same way. But this is really all part of Nolan's ideas on reality that he was exploring. What is real? What is just a representation? Is reality just an idea that has subjugated us?

Lindley wrote: View Post
One thing that did bug me a bit....why wasn't the gravity going all wonky on the ice level as well?
I was confused about that as well. Maybe they were in to deep for the first level to cause such a drastic change on the third. Or Cobb and his associates may have allowed things from the first level into the second level to help convince Fischer that he was in a dream.

To be honest I have no idea. That aspect of the dream level was never explained very well.

“Every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The bad things don’t always spoil the good things and make them unimportant.” ~ The Doctor

Last edited by SantaSmurf; July 27 2010 at 02:02 AM.
AstroSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote