To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design
Early "The Original Series" 9 4.33%
Mid-Late "The Original Series" 10 4.81%
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 7 3.37%
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan "Monster Maroons" 48 23.08%
Later Maroon Uniform (Earlier flashbacks in TNG) 1 0.48%
Early "The Next Generation" 4 1.92%
Mid-Late "The Next Generation" 19 9.13%
Early "Deep Space Nine" & "Voyager" 14 6.73%
Mid-Late "Deep Space Nine" and "First Contact" 64 30.77%
"Enterprise" 14 6.73%
Star Trek (2009) 13 6.25%
Other (Specify) 5 2.40%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 24 2010, 12:27 PM   #76
Orcus
Captain

Re: Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Rett Mikhal wrote: View Post
I voted mid to late TNG because I absolutely love the Captain's jacket, especially with the leather shoulders.

You know it's awesome.
unfortunately, they only used that one in one episode (I think it was Darmok). After that they replaced the leather with suede.
He looks like he's wearing Wesley's hand-me-downs...
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2010, 09:19 PM   #77
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

I'm not a fan of the "Future Uniforms" that we see in the likes of "Endgame", to me they most look like "Pyjamas" and completely impractical, unless they are made out of some special "Nanoweave" that adapts based on temperature then its going to be pretty extreme in different climates, also the department colours make them look too "gimmicky"

As for the "Dress Uniforms" we see in TNG, they look ridiculous, especially on Patrick Stewart, the spandex quality is extreme
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 11:37 PM   #78
skylark14
Lieutenant

I can see I definitely have minority opinions about this question. Favorite is early TOS, was glad the latest movie gave them a nod. I'll admit it may be as simple as early TOS was my first exposure, but here's my rationalization. I really liked the soft, warm, rumpled look of the first ones. It made it seem as though the crew was out in uncharted space on their own where the emphasis was more on comfort and getting the job done than on military spit and polish. The pants were a little laughable but that was what made them seem futuristic to me at the time - the fact that they were so different from anything I knew. Plus I liked being able to see so much of the boot. Also liked the clear advertising of the different specialties by color. Didn't like the foolish micro-miniskirts but that's a separate issue.

I really hated TWOK uniforms. They seemed buffoonish like it was some sort of Gilbert & Sullivan operetta - "I am the Ruler of the King's Naveeey". All the buckles, straps, pockets, layers, shiny stuff, ballooned ankles - made the Federation seem too interested in trappings instead of substance. It was hard to imagine anyone actually working in them.

I did like some of the later series uniforms, very attractive to see, but their very sleekness made them seem unrealistic. Surely there would still be a few crew members who could stand to lose a few pounds or who had less than perfect figures.
skylark14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2010, 11:56 PM   #79
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

My favorite is 4th season TNG.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 04:11 AM   #80
USS Excelsior
Commodore

The Dress uniforms in Insurrection look like waiters costumes.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 05:39 AM   #81
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

madmatthias wrote: View Post
I'm not a fan of the "Future Uniforms" that we see in the likes of "Endgame", to me they most look like "Pyjamas" and completely impractical, unless they are made out of some special "Nanoweave" that adapts based on temperature then its going to be pretty extreme in different climates, also the department colours make them look too "gimmicky"
I agree about the dislike of the future uniforms, more on the ground that they seemed designed solely to be worn by old people, out of how they were aging up the actors and for no other reason. The pants part just looks ridiculous - those things go up like half of the persons' torsos!
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 07:20 AM   #82
scotpens
Vice Admiral

skylark14 wrote: View Post
. . . I really hated TWOK uniforms. They seemed buffoonish like it was some sort of Gilbert & Sullivan operetta - “I am the Ruler of the King's Naveeey”. All the buckles, straps, pockets, layers, shiny stuff, ballooned ankles - made the Federation seem too interested in trappings instead of substance. It was hard to imagine anyone actually working in them.

I did like some of the later series uniforms, very attractive to see, but their very sleekness made them seem unrealistic. Surely there would still be a few crew members who could stand to lose a few pounds or who had less than perfect figures.
See post #24.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2010, 02:46 PM   #83
Orcus
Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
. . . I really hated TWOK uniforms. They seemed buffoonish like it was some sort of Gilbert & Sullivan operetta - “I am the Ruler of the King's Naveeey”. All the buckles, straps, pockets, layers, shiny stuff, ballooned ankles - made the Federation seem too interested in trappings instead of substance. It was hard to imagine anyone actually working in them.

See post #24.
And post #17
Orcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2010, 11:59 PM   #84
skylark14
Lieutenant

Orcus wrote: View Post
scotpens wrote: View Post

See post #24.
And post #17
76 Trombones. Indeed, #17 and #24! Not feeling quite so lonely. Of course everybody's going to have widely different views on this and rightfully so. IDIC and so forth. But I have to admit I just about shed a tear the first time I saw the TWOK uniforms on my childhood heroes. I hadn't much cared for the TMP uniforms either, mainly because they were ridiculously revealing for the male crew members, as though they were gymnasts. I read somewhere recently that they were so tight they were painful to sit in and that the actors had to lean up against a wall while waiting to perform.
skylark14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 05:39 PM   #85
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Praxius wrote: View Post
Isn't that a variant of the "Marine" type combat uniform?
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 07:00 PM   #86
Praxius
Captain

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Isn't that a variant of the "Marine" type combat uniform?
That I am not sure of, what do you mean by "Marine Type"?

This uniform appeared just before the main uniforms on DS9 went to the black/gray uniforms.
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 07:07 PM   #87
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

That I am not sure of, what do you mean by "Marine Type"?
I meant the ones we saw worn by Starfleet "Marines" during ground combat on this AR-something planet in the Chin'toka system.
““I’m gonna say such a nasty thing about you on Yelp.” Oh really? That’s great because I’m gonna cut your throat and leave your body in the dumpster out back. And no one will convict me because you’re subhuman trash, ‘Mr. Mayor!’”
— Jeff Gerstmann
SPCTRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29 2010, 07:08 PM   #88
Roberta Lincoln
Commander

Call me an old timer as well, I have to go with the uniforms from vintage ST. I like their colors best.

I also liked that some of the female crew members wore pants in The Cage and Where No Man Has Gone Before.
Roberta Lincoln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31 2010, 12:21 PM   #89
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Not Starfleet, but the MACO gear from Enterprise always looked like a pidgeon had shit all over them to me.
Old July 31 2010, 02:12 PM   #90
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Voted Early "Deep Space Nine" & "Voyager"

Runner-ups:
"Enterprise"
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan "Monster Maroons"
Mid-Late "The Next Generation"

Personally, I don't get the popularity of the First Contact uniforms…
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote