Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 12 2010, 02:36 PM   #31
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Watching Farscape Season 1.

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
On this board particularly, I've always read such positive things about the show, but it's not grabbing me yet at all.
Another thing you'll read on this board is that it really doesn't start getting good until the last 4 episodes of Season 1. The beginning of the season is okay, but it's the end of the season when it really finds its footing.
Old July 12 2010, 03:01 PM   #32
ConRefit79
Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Another thing you'll read on this board is that it really doesn't start getting good until the last 4 episodes of Season 1. The beginning of the season is okay, but it's the end of the season when it really finds its footing.
Which is better than Star Trek, cause they usually did not get very good until season 3.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 06:14 PM   #33
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

You know, I don't understand all the negative comments about season 1. For me, this is one of those shows that was good right out of the gate. I can understand everybody liking what came later, all that was good too, but the smaller, less complicated "bottle" shows of season one were the series at it's best.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 07:11 PM   #34
ConRefit79
Captain

RandyS wrote: View Post
You know, I don't understand all the negative comments about season 1. For me, this is one of those shows that was good right out of the gate. I can understand everybody liking what came later, all that was good too, but the smaller, less complicated "bottle" shows of season one were the series at it's best.
Season 1 was a very good beginning. Unlike post TNG, They had a complete universe to create. So they had to do a lot of bottle shows to setup that universe.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2010, 07:13 PM   #35
RoJoHen
Awesome

I enjoy just about all of Season 1, but I can understand some people not really getting it right away. I was introduced to the show at the end of Season 2, so when I went back and watched Season 1, I was already familiar with the characters.
Old July 12 2010, 08:14 PM   #36
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I actually began watching Farscape on TV at the beginning of season 2. Therefore, I only watched season 1 after being hooked by season 2.

I love Farscape in its entirety. I never tire of seeing it, except for the bounty hunters in season 1. For some odd reason I don't much care for that one.

Farscape in my book managed to be groundbreaking sci-fi while poking fun at itself and other shows.

Humor and space opera, the perfect marriage of two of my favorite things.
Old July 12 2010, 08:34 PM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I actually began watching Farscape on TV at the beginning of season 2. Therefore, I only watched season 1 after being hooked by season 2.

I love Farscape in its entirety. I never tire of seeing it, except for the bounty hunters in season 1. For some odd reason I don't much care for that one.

Farscape in my book managed to be groundbreaking sci-fi while poking fun at itself and other shows.

Humor and space opera, the perfect marriage of two of my favorite things.
Let's hang out!
Old July 13 2010, 05:44 PM   #38
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I love the av! It cracks me up. I have not seen the 3rd one yet.

I think my love for Farscape grew as John got nuttier and started flowing with it.

John and 1812 - priceless!
Old July 13 2010, 05:48 PM   #39
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love the av! It cracks me up. I have not seen the 3rd one yet.
Ooh, you need to. It's fantastic.
Old July 13 2010, 09:39 PM   #40
23skidoo
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
PsychoPere wrote: View Post
On this board particularly, I've always read such positive things about the show, but it's not grabbing me yet at all.
Like others on this board, I thought Farscape was great from Day 1. I think the reason why Season 1 doesn't grab people right away is that it can take a little getting used to. The Muppets give some the (very mistaken) impression that it's a kid's show, but then you have nudity and (PG-13 rated) sex scenes. You have episodes that are deadly serious mixed in with comedies -- and many episodes combine the two. If you're only used to things like BSG that was generally black or white in terms of its style, of course it will be an acquired taste. And not every episode is a gem, as is the case with every series without exception. In the case of Farscape, season 1 has the infamous "Jeremiah Crichton" episode which is generally considered the show's nadir - to the point where the cast and crew commentary for the episode is spent poking fun at it. Personally, I thought the episode was fine and I have my own personal choice for "worst" FS episode.

There's also the fact the show is formatted to be a slow build. Not everything is resolved in season 1, and in fact if you were to jump into Season 4 you'd go "Uh, but, I thought ..." probably every 5 minutes. Things change, sometimes rapidly, sometimes so gradually you might actually need to go back and watch a past episode. Interestingly, all that I've written in this paragraph has also been told to me regarding Lost, which is an example of a series that didn't keep my attention through the first season, but I want to go back and check it out now it's done.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2010, 05:30 PM   #41
23skidoo
Admiral

Keepin' the thread alive, my own viewing of Farscape has taken me into the home stretch - I've just started the final 6 episodes of Season 4. Fascinating stuff! I won't go into spoilers out of respect to the OP who was just starting Season 1 not long ago, except I think you will indeed find the Farscape of late season 4 almost unrecognizable from the first year.

Season 4 - again avoiding spoilers - is interesting because it's full of experimentation, both in terms of format and the characters. I think part of this is due to the fact it was made with the assumption (thanks to a promise made by Sci-Fi) that the show would return for Season 5, and that Season 5 was going to be the finale. So they played around with a few things that they probably wouldn't have had they known the show was going to end.

When you do get to the final season, I really have to recommend the deleted scenes from the episode "A Constellation of Doubt", which was the final episode filmed (but not the last to air). The very last scene filmed for the series has John making comments about "German backers" which, for people who know the background related to Farscape's cancellation, must have been written in response. If not, it was a heck of a coincidence.

I'm depressed that I only have about 6 eps to go, plus the mini-series.

And if you think it's hard avoiding spoilers for stuff like Doctor Who and Lost, it's doubly hard avoiding spoilers for a show like Farscape that's been gone 7 arns, er, years. I mean, I already know mostly what happens in the final episode, but there's lots of character bits and in-between plots that I've managed to avoid, so this really is a new show for me. And based on having watching virtually the whole thing over the last 2 months, I'd have no hesitation recommending it. It's on par with nuBSG in terms of recent serialized SF, and I'd even push it ahead of BSG based on the fact the show never really lost momentum with me (a few off episodes notwithstanding, but all series have those), unlike BSG which had a pretty severe seventh inning slump that actually made me lose interest in it for a while. Also, I feel Farscape successfully varied itself in terms of its tone, easily moving between black seriousness and light comedy, unlike BSG which handled the darkness extremely well, but rarely moved into the light. With Farscape you really didn't have any idea which way the show would head from one week to the next - serious or light, often within the same episode.

PS. I'm not intending to turn this into a Farscape vs BSG thread. I chose to make the comparison because both were long-term serials, both were ship-based series, and both had the underlying premise of a quest to find Earth while avoiding bad guys. And both have lead characters (Crichton/Adama) who as the series progresses go more and more off the rails. Yeah, that's a little spoiler, but I think I can get away with it! It's how Crichton gets there and what he does when he's there that's the cool part that you'll discover as the show goes on.

Oh, and both shows featured Kent McCord, too, though I think even the most rabid BSG fan will concede that Farscape is a superior show to Galactica 1980!

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2010, 06:28 PM   #42
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Granny creeped me out, but I think I loved every other Farscape character. That is rare for me. I usually pick at least one character to loathe with a white hot passion, but I liked all of the Farscape characters, flaws and all.
Old July 20 2010, 11:45 PM   #43
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Granny creeped me out, but I think I loved every other Farscape character. That is rare for me. I usually pick at least one character to loathe with a white hot passion, but I liked all of the Farscape characters, flaws and all.
Agreed. Farscape was that rare show where all of the characters were interesting to one degree or another. Not a useless one in the bunch.

And the way they introduced Granny was great.

"Who is that woman?" No big introduction, she's just there.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23 2010, 09:23 PM   #44
Can
Commander

Well 23eskido. Did you finish Farscape and The Peacekeeper Wars mini series ? What is your review about Farscape universe and its adventures in general ?

What about OP ?