RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 561
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old July 18 2010, 09:27 PM   #226
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer
Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Can't seem to find a new page today. The 7/17 link points to 7/7...
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18 2010, 09:34 PM   #227
lennier1
Commodore

DestinyCaptain wrote: View Post
True, but simply changing the link from the previous entry by replacing the "a" at the end results in a working URL: http://www.projectpotemkin.com/build...e_bridge_b.htm
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2010, 01:46 AM   #228
batboy853
Lieutenant

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Eventually, I intend to build a corridor set. One of our special effects guys (who appears as our chief engineer in our series) is talking about creating a couple of engineering consoles and using a green screen in the background for our engine room. So far, we don't have any scripts either in the works or received to date with a Sickbay, so that's not a priority. And nothing in those scripts and stories indicate we need to construct a transporter room set either.

well you know for other sets you can possibly redress the main bridge, i mean just move one of the forward stations to the rear where the turbo lift is, replace the helm / nav console with tng like ones and you have a bridge similar to a constellation class or ambassador class

or you could take the main view screen out put a small jutting corridor with that ends with a door, get a pool table, and replace the captains chair / consoles with a warp core, and then you have engineering. whipped a quick image for your consideration...

Last edited by batboy853; July 19 2010 at 03:36 AM.
batboy853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2010, 05:01 AM   #229
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

My bad. It should be working now.

lennier1 wrote: View Post
True, but simply changing the link from the previous entry by replacing the "a" at the end results in a working URL: http://www.projectpotemkin.com/build...e_bridge_b.htm
Quite so. Thanks!

batboy853 wrote: View Post
well you know for other sets you can possibly redress the main bridge, i mean just move one of the forward stations to the rear where the turbo lift is, replace the helm / nav console with tng like ones and you have a bridge similar to a constellation class or ambassador class or you could take the main view screen out put a small jutting corridor with that ends with a door, get a pool table, and replace the captains chair / consoles with a warp core, and then you have engineering. whipped a quick image for your consideration...
Intriguing. Not sure I would remove the viewscreen, but certainly can remove the others stuff and relocate. Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely keep that in mind.

The past three days, I've worked on the bridge railing, and this evening, I realized it's not going to work. Got to rethink that problem altogether...
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2010, 05:20 AM   #230
batboy853
Lieutenant

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post

Intriguing. Not sure I would remove the viewscreen, but certainly can remove the others stuff and relocate. Thanks for the suggestions! Will definitely keep that in mind.
yeah depending on how the bridge is in relationship to the room you are using as your studio, moving things might work better for redresses, i know the studio you guys are using is just big enough for the bridge...
batboy853 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 19 2010, 04:14 PM   #231
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Barely that, actually. The security and tactical station are four inches from being outside the carport.

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; July 20 2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: misspelled carport as carpet -- doh!
Old July 20 2010, 06:48 AM   #232
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Well, this evening, I solved the problem with the railing. It was just too wobbly, and we ended up putting some hardware from Lowes where the pieces of wood met each other. We're going to go with a fabric covering (as opposed to painting the rail), but that's the last thing we have to do other than put up the appliques.

Sent out our Friday evening shoot call sheets and schedule. I'm hoping that we'll have the filming finished in less than a couple of hours. We're going to play around with both NTSC and 720p. Hope to take some production stills, publicity photos, and do some footage for the opening credits montage, too.

Bill Walker sent one of his SPFX shots today, and it looked outstanding. Hopefully we can share that with folks soon...
Old July 20 2010, 06:57 AM   #233
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Shot from the "backdoor" (rear alcove).

Shot from the Tactical Station.

Shot from Port Turbolift alcove.

As you can see, we just need to cover the railings with the same burgundy fabric we used on the captain's chair and put on the appliques on the stations.

We should just make it in time...
Old July 20 2010, 08:13 AM   #234
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Holy crap, Potemkin! Your bridge looks phenomenal! Congratulations!

Very much looking forward to more pics and updates as they are available. ROCK ON!
Old July 20 2010, 09:46 AM   #235
lennier1
Commodore

Looks really great so far!
Just two questions:
1. Is that railing sturdy enough so actors can lean on it? The old story of giving them something to interact with.
2. Are you still planning to add glued-on access panels to break up a few wall areas and add button graphics to the empty areas near the captain's hands?

Looking forward to your impressions of the upcoming christening of the set. If there's anything I can do to help just drop me a line.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
lennier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2010, 02:07 PM   #236
DestinyCaptain
Commander

Location: U.S.S. Destiny NCC-720 Leif Ericson II Class Explorer

Just a suggestion... Due to the reduced nature of the bridge, you might want to consider locating chairs at Helm and Nav that have a smaller profile to them. When you start packing actors into that set, I think that larger set pieces are going to crowd things a bit. Overall, I think your hard work has really paid off.
DestinyCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2010, 02:36 PM   #237
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

This is a remarkable amount of work for a small production to accomplish in such a short time. Looks good. Congratulations.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20 2010, 04:20 PM   #238
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
Holy crap, Potemkin! Your bridge looks phenomenal! Congratulations! Very much looking forward to more pics and updates as they are available. ROCK ON!
Thank you. These pics haven't even been posted to our updates page yet. Special sneak preview here.

Looks really great so far!
Just two questions:
1. Is that railing sturdy enough so actors can lean on it? The old story of giving them something to interact with.
Yes. On Sunday evening, I was dismayed because it totally was wobbly and weak. The reinforcement things (visible on the railing) changed things completely. It's a lot more stable and study.

In fact, you can lean on it, but it's not designed to lean against, so to speak. With such a small bridge, we can move both the helm/nav and both railing to allow for camera angles.

2. Are you still planning to add glued-on access panels to break up a few wall areas and add button graphics to the empty areas near the captain's hands?
I think we're going with pressure-sensitive labels. The buttons are okay, and we can use them in a pinch, but they just sort of clash with the touch panels everywhere else on the bridge.

Looking forward to your impressions of the upcoming christening of the set. If there's anything I can do to help just drop me a line.
Thanks! Will do!

Just a suggestion... Due to the reduced nature of the bridge, you might want to consider locating chairs at Helm and Nav that have a smaller profile to them. When you start packing actors into that set, I think that larger set pieces are going to crowd things a bit. Overall, I think your hard work has really paid off.
Thanks very much! We're intentionally using actors of slight or medium build for the same reason. The chairs we're going to use around the bridge stations are in fact a little smaller, too.

Dennis wrote: View Post
This is a remarkable amount of work for a small production to accomplish in such a short time. Looks good. Congratulations.
Thank you! We appreciate the kind words!
Old July 22 2010, 06:07 AM   #239
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Here's the two stations I completed tonight. Four more stations to go... Still want to replace the black tape with white along the ventilation system. May go to full green screen instead of using an applique there. Got to move the clock on the port rail, broom next to the viewscreen, doodad on the starboard rail. Vacuum.

But we're getting there!

Old July 22 2010, 06:16 AM   #240
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Again I have to say Potemkin, your bridge looks FANTASTIC. Keep up the great work!

Also, I was concerned at first when you mentioned the fabric-covered railings, but now that I see them I quite like the look.

All in all, your ship is coming along quite nicely!