Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grading
Excellent 121 71.18%
Above average 40 23.53%
Average 6 3.53%
Below average 3 1.76%
Poor 0 0%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 16 2010, 08:54 AM   #16
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Re: Inception (Christopher Nolan, Leonardo DiCaprio) Grading & Discuss

^Oh, I think so too, but a number of audience members sure didn't seem so certain.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2010, 04:47 PM   #17
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

Ground Shakes

Ariadne- I'm still dreaming!!!
Cobb- No this is real! It's an earthquake!
Ariadne- Are you sure?
Cobb- Yes I'm sure. This isn't an M Night Shamalyan movie.
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2010, 06:35 PM   #18
JacksonArcher
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to JacksonArcher

Meh. It was "okay".
JacksonArcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16 2010, 09:34 PM   #19
Brandonv
Fleet Captain

I just saw the movie and I'm still gathering my thoughts. My initial thoughts are that the movie has an excellent concept and some very creative and thought provoking ideas, but the execution isn't quite on par. If I where to grade the movie right now, I would give it a B+.

edited to add: I am glad to see that Tom Hardy is making a comeback. While watching Star Trek: Nemesis I got the impression that he was a good actor who simply wasn't given a good script to work with. I liked his character in Inception.
Brandonv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 12:08 AM   #20
Sagart
Fleet Captain

Just out from it.

Wow.
This is the Christopher Nolan I've been waiting for since 'Memento'. None of his movies, including 'The Dark Knight' have been able to hold together satisfactorily right through to the end credits without falling down in some department. 'Inception' kicks into another gear in the closing 15 minutes, providing an emotional killer punch that was needed to lift it out of being smart but clinical sci-fi and left me satisfied with just a hint of a 'hang on a minute' moment at the end that allows the movie to live on in my mind, not just as memory of a cinematic experience but as a question that only I can answer, if I choose to.
I thought about half way through it was going to be let down by its clinicalness but the glimpse of the emotional anguish at the heart of the story saved it.
I can't wait to savour it again, maybe in IMAX next time.
Old July 17 2010, 01:39 AM   #21
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Edit: maybe very vaguely spoilery. But you know what, one should sort of expect much more severe spoilers in a review thread about a movie than below...

I voted excellent but wish there were a category between that and merely "above average" because that's where Inception squarely fits.

Highlights include:

1)the alternating-gravity fight* with Tommy from Third Rock and subconscious henchman no. 21; Ariadne's introduction to Cobb's dream world;
2)Tommy, Ken Watanbe, Cillian Murphy's excellent and surprising performances;
3)DiCaprio's unsurprisingly excellent performance;
4)and the last shot, which left me laughing out loud, possibly to the consternation of my fellow theatre patrons, as I was quite pleasantly surprised at what a complete cock Nolan had to be to do that when he had already achieved the rare feat of having his protagonist so completely earn his happy ending.

Lowlights include:

1)the alpine set-piece, which was what I might expect in a G.I. Joe episode focusing on Snow Job**;
2)Cobb's wife Mal's extremely distracting nearly-broken English;
3)the questionable if narratively requisite exponential dream-time effect, which I'm pretty sure is bullshit and would run into some hard physical and biological limits long before the Limbo scene ran its course;
4)most crucially, the visual letdown of Cobb's only mildly oddly-structured mental basement.

Overall, it was a great film, but as others have noted, missing a little something. I think that something was sheer, balls-to-the-wall, phantasmogoric weirdness. The three dream stages Ariadne designed have their excuse--they were structured by a waking and rational mind, if an artistic one, and structured for a purpose. So I was okay with their basic banality. But when they got to "Limbo," I was ready for some true insanity. Unfortunately, we got Cobb's Sim City. In what can only be described as cinematic ass-backwardsness, the most vivid, strange, and dreamlike images occur in the first act, when Ariadne is being given her first taste of shared dreaming and starts controlling the mental landscape of Cobb's psyche; every setting after that is much less interesting. For an example of this sort of thing done right, I direct you immediately to the chase through John Malkovich's subconscious.

One critic--can't remember who--said that he had his mind blown, but not as much as he expected. I wholeheartedly agree with that. In the end, Christopher Nolan's film about the power of fantasy was simply not fantastic enough.

*The actual free-fall fight was not as cool. My guess is this is basically what happens when someone on the ISS doesn't clean the air vent like he was supposed to.
**The most unintentionally hilarious line: "He's being chased by a whole damn army!" [cut to a single Hummvee]; but at least this was funny, unlike "Dream bigger" or something to that effect and have a character lift a grenade launcher easily visible to every character but held out of frame. That said, in closing this up I'd like to congratulate Nolan and Watanabe on the truly very funny line "I bought the airline."

Last edited by Myasishchev; July 17 2010 at 01:50 AM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 02:22 AM   #22
scnj
Captain

I don't know yet. I'm leaning towards excellent because the film worked on every level (heh) for me the first time, but I feel like I'll need a couple more viewings before deciding.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 02:29 AM   #23
FluffyUnbound
Rear Admiral

Overall, it was a great film, but as others have noted, missing a little something. I think that something was sheer, balls-to-the-wall, phantasmogoric weirdness. The three dream stages Ariadne designed have their excuse--they were structured by a waking and rational mind, if an artistic one, and structured for a purpose. So I was okay with their basic banality. But when they got to "Limbo," I was ready for some true insanity. Unfortunately, we got Cobb's Sim City. In what can only be described as cinematic ass-backwardsness, the most vivid, strange, and dreamlike images occur in the first act, when Ariadne is being given her first taste of shared dreaming and starts controlling the mental landscape of Cobb's psyche; every setting after that is much less interesting. For an example of this sort of thing done right, I direct you immediately to the chase through John Malkovich's subconscious.
Do you personally dream that way?

My dreams almost always occur in strikingly prosaic environments. They're usually recognizable places that I've been, frankly.

I often have the opposite complaint about "dream" movies - that they contain a lot of overt surrealism that seems like it's trying too hard.

That's one of my concerns going into this movie. That scene in the trailers where the city folds up and half of it is in the sky? If that happened in one of my own dreams, I'd laugh at it and then probably immediately wake up.

Zombies and Ancient Rome...two great tastes that taste great together.
FluffyUnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 02:44 AM   #24
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I thought it was an excellent sci-fi movie. I had to pee ridiculously bad during the last hour though, so maybe I didn't quite understand it all as well as I should have

I typically hate when tv and movies try to do dreams, so I'm with Fluffy.
Old July 17 2010, 02:44 AM   #25
Caliburn24
Commodore

I just got back from the film and voted excellent.

But it is a movie that will take some time and repeat viewings to fully digest. There are a number of scenes where it moves so fast that I was quite confused, and added to that is the subtext that the very last shot of the movie highlights.

Will the movie hold up better or worse on a 2nd and 3rd viewing? I'm not sure, but I am sure that I want to see it again.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 03:18 AM   #26
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

I voted Excellent.

Great film. Fantastically original. Definitely my favorite film of the year.

It is hard to explain this film but it was definitely awesome. Loved the cast and the zero gravity fight was a highlight. That was really Tommy from 3rd Rock? Agreed about the performances of both Ken Watanbe and Cillian Murphy. They were standouts. Nice to see Ellen Page's character wasn't a token love interest. Liked seeing so many familiar faces although Tom Berenger is looking like Marlon Brando. He looked even worse on the Major League DVD featurette.

Loved the point they raised that a person can never remember how a dream started. It's so true. You just pick up in the middle of it.

Dislikes...

-Found the accents to be a little hard to understand and I missed a few things that were said.

-That dude should get his money back. His "security force" looks like they learned their shooting from the Imperial stormtroopers.

Observation...the audience was packed but it seemed like at least 80% of the crowd was middle-aged. Was this true at other showings? Just curious.

All and all, a great experience and I have more admiration for the work of Christopher Nolan.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 03:19 AM   #27
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Brandonv wrote: View Post
edited to add: I am glad to see that Tom Hardy is making a comeback.
Oh, that's who that was; that was driving me nuts.

Anyway, really good; I agree it didn't quite have the "instant classic" edge, but I still voted excellent, because that level of craft and basically compelling thriller deserves it.

A lot of people thought from the trailers (and some reviewers have called this) a mind-bendy film, but it's really not. There's only two "haha! we're actually dreaming!" bit, and they come at the start; everything else is laid out quite clearly and comprehensively. Which isn't bad or anything, but it wasn't what I was expecting.

Great acting from everybody; quite an amazing cast, right down to Sir Michael Caine and Pete Postlethwaite in bit parts that could have been played by anyone. Marion Cotillard's always a highlight for me in the movies she's in. And DiCaprio, well, I don't think any actor working right now has such consistently good taste in directors.

And Cillian Murphy, cast, for possibly the first time in his career, as a normal person.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 03:20 AM   #28
DarthPipes
Vice Admiral

That was Tom Hardy? I KNEW it! He did a really good job too.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 03:26 AM   #29
CaptainCanada
Admiral

In terms of the "what's missing" quotient in the film, maybe it's that, on reflection, the movie really isn't about anything other than the plot, compared to some of Nolan's other films, which were also meditations on some fairly deep themes.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2010, 03:26 AM   #30
scnj
Captain

Holy shit! That was Shinzon?! I mean, I couldn't stand him in Nemesis but he was one of my favourite characters here.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote