Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What do you think the Tardis is in its own Dimension?
A hypercube, rooms dimensionally linked 0 0%
a central sceptre surrounded by rings and orbs dimensionally linked, with a swirling vortex below 1 4.76%
It is just bigger on the inside, the outside is the police box 9 42.86%
A series of floating rooms held together by dimensionally linked doorways 1 4.76%
A massive modular spaceship with corridors, engines, able to create a vortex pathway 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 15 2010, 06:14 AM   #16
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Re: The Infinite Debate...

I've never really thought about it too hard, but I don't think it's like a lot of these concept drawings of orbs or colums or organicy looking things floating in some nether realm - to me its a machine or a ship .I don't like all these modern notions taken from the novels that TARDIS' are organic. If you watch the classic series it's clearly a machine. Oh sure, it posesses a sentience of some sort, but it's not organic imo. The interior simply occupies a different dimensional space.

I think it's option 5.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 11:56 AM   #17
Sean_McCormick
Captain

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
it's a narrative construct allowing the principal protaganists to transit from story to story with ease.
This could also be said about the Enterprise in Star Trek or the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars. In fact, this accurately describes every vehicle in fiction. This however has never stopped a specific group of fans to draw detailed schematics or deckplans and write detailed articles or even entire tech manuals on those ships and every minute detail of their technology.
It's as valid an angle to view a show as concentrating on any other aspect of that show, e.g. character-development.
Sean_McCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 07:30 PM   #18
starsuperion
Captain

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
I've never really thought about it too hard, but I don't think it's like a lot of these concept drawings of orbs or colums or organicy looking things floating in some nether realm - to me its a machine or a ship .I don't like all these modern notions taken from the novels that TARDIS' are organic. If you watch the classic series it's clearly a machine. Oh sure, it posesses a sentience of some sort, but it's not organic imo. The interior simply occupies a different dimensional space.

I think it's option 5.
I like the way you think, that the ship should be a ship, and mechanical, and possess a sentience, but not be some coral organic creature..

Sean_McCormick wrote: View Post
captcalhoun wrote: View Post
it's a narrative construct allowing the principal protaganists to transit from story to story with ease.
This could also be said about the Enterprise in Star Trek or the Millenium Falcon in Star Wars. In fact, this accurately describes every vehicle in fiction. This however has never stopped a specific group of fans to draw detailed schematics or deckplans and write detailed articles or even entire tech manuals on those ships and every minute detail of their technology.
It's as valid an angle to view a show as concentrating on any other aspect of that show, e.g. character-development.
Well put..
starsuperion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 08:50 PM   #19
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Its only a model.
Old July 16 2010, 08:15 AM   #20
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

You're right of course, although Doctor Who has always been significantly less interested in its own technology than Star Trek, and has never bothered to come up with a cohesive, credible or accurate explanation for why its technology works. It just does. Watching Doctor Who for the tech is like watching Scrubs for the medical content.
Old July 16 2010, 10:40 AM   #21
Sean_McCormick
Captain

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Its only a model.
Nobody here disputes that the TARDIS in real life is just a bunch of physical and computer generated models and life-sized sets.

The OP here wants to discuss the tech-aspect of Doctor Who and the TARDIS as if it were real. For doing so on Star Trek, there is an entire subforum on this board. Since such does not exist for Doctor Who, such discussions need to take place in this forum.

You are absolutely welcome to not be interested in this aspect of the show, but please allow those, that are, the courtesy to do so in peace.
Old July 16 2010, 12:24 PM   #22
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

^Well said Sean..
Old July 16 2010, 12:34 PM   #23
starsuperion
Captain

Its only a model.
Nobody here disputes that the TARDIS in real life is just a bunch of physical and computer generated models and life-sized sets.

The OP here wants to discuss the tech-aspect of Doctor Who and the TARDIS as if it were real. For doing so on Star Trek, there is an entire subforum on this board. Since such does not exist for Doctor Who, such discussions need to take place in this forum.

You are absolutely welcome to not be interested in this aspect of the show, but please allow those, that are, the courtesy to do so in peace.
Wow! You are sooooo right!

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
^Well said Sean..
You guys are sooo awesome!

Also to add a bit of contradiction to the Castrovalva episode..

if the Tardis were just rooms that are created by the tardis, and then deleted.. and the only thing that controls that is the console, and the tardis is not an actual space ship..

then I provide proof that the ship is an actual ship.. which can make new rooms, and delete them, but is also a solid spaceship structure..

My proof..

the roundels in the episode the Attack of the cybermen!
Colin Baker's ultra cool doctor (who despite the awful outfit he was made to wear) had some awesome adventures in the Tardis!

at exactly 2:15 seconds into the show, we see actual circuitry within the roundels (a return to the original idea from the Hartnell days IMHO) and the Chameleon circuit itself..

what we learn in this episode, is that there are 3 service access panels which are the Chameleon Circuit Relays, and the actual Circuit itself is the little box Colin Baker takes with him from the Chameleon Circuit calibration machine, to plug into a cavity on the Tardis Console..

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xa7...rt1_shortfilms

Now why would there be specific systems which are dedicated to Tardis function if it was just a construct of rooms? There follows that the Tardis has engines, specific circuitry which governs specific vital Tardis Functions.. so if this is the case, then those specific vital core rooms and structures, and engines must be in place so that the ship can operate, and that rooms can be added and removed but the overall basic structure must remain, otherwise it could not function.. if the ship were just dimensions, and rooms added and destroyed, then how could it possibly traverse time and space, what if you jettisoned the engines, and where do they come from? the console just whips them up out of thin air? then why couldn't it just add more engines to make itself escape bad places?

No.. I believe that the Core Structure of the Tardis is an actual ship, which creates a vortex, and can add rooms, and convert the interiors via a matter restructuring system, but that overall system is linked to specific "Fixed" structures..

examples:

Chameleon Circuit Relay 1:

Chameleon Circuit Relay 2:

Chameleon Circuit Relay 3:

Chameleon Circuit itself:

(the lit up little cartridge in front of Colin Baker, seen still attached to it's calibration machine, which is then taken and plugged into a cavity on the Tardis console, and activated the Chameleon Circuit)...each relay probably also carried images of the ship's various forms to the Tardis chameleon room. Each Relay probably also controlled the plasmid form, which is the outer shell of the ship..

By the way..

These examples are references for the tech drawings that will be in my Tardis Manual, coming soon..

Last edited by starsuperion; July 16 2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old July 16 2010, 05:22 PM   #24
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

The (interior of the) TARDIS exists in it's OWN dimension, and therefore is infinitely large as it has it's own universe. It moves in time and space by manipulating the vortex.
Old July 16 2010, 05:38 PM   #25
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

I've always regarded it as finite in size, albeit very large. There are inferences over the years to this being the case during the run of the classic series. Chris Bidmead also re-iterates this notion on the Logopolis commentary.
Old July 16 2010, 08:05 PM   #26
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Its only a model.

Not familar with the meme I take it?

"Doctor Who" serious business.
Old July 16 2010, 10:50 PM   #27
Sean_McCormick
Captain

You were just the second guy in a very short time to come into this thread and gives a really short remark, that could be reading as "talking down to the stupid geeks, that don't understand that it is just a TV show".
Old July 17 2010, 03:19 AM   #28
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

You were just the second guy in a very short time to come into this thread and gives a really short remark, that could be reading as "talking down to the stupid geeks, that don't understand that it is just a TV show".
No offense intended, I thought it was a well known meme and everyone would get the joke.

Trust me, my geek flag flies high, loud and proud.
Old July 17 2010, 04:31 AM   #29
starsuperion
Captain

No offense intended, I thought it was a well known meme and everyone would get the joke.

Trust me, my geek flag flies high, loud and proud.
You sir...

Are a true Patriot! Long Live the Geekhood!
Old July 17 2010, 01:09 PM   #30
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

All of the above.