New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

View Poll Results: Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design
Early "The Original Series" 9 4.33%
Mid-Late "The Original Series" 10 4.81%
Star Trek: The Motion Picture 7 3.37%
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan "Monster Maroons" 48 23.08%
Later Maroon Uniform (Earlier flashbacks in TNG) 1 0.48%
Early "The Next Generation" 4 1.92%
Mid-Late "The Next Generation" 19 9.13%
Early "Deep Space Nine" & "Voyager" 14 6.73%
Mid-Late "Deep Space Nine" and "First Contact" 64 30.77%
"Enterprise" 14 6.73%
Star Trek (2009) 13 6.25%
Other (Specify) 5 2.40%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 13 2010, 11:25 AM   #31
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy
Re: Favorite Starfleet Uniform Design

First Contact-Late DS9 Uniform is by far the best, IMHO.
Old July 13 2010, 02:02 PM   #32
Praxius
Fleet Captain

Archaeologist wrote: View Post
What is your favorite Starfleet uniform design out of the entire series? The uniforms of Star Trek's Federation Starfleet has been an interesting topic for me since some time ago. I would have to say that my favorite uniforms are the so-called "Monster Maroons," a.k.a. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan uniforms, continuing up to just a few years or so prior to Star Trek: The Next Generation. I like the maroon red jacket/coat colors to begin with, and the black trousers complete the look. They actually look quite formal, elegant, and sharp, in my opinion, which may be why the design appeals to me so much. My least favorite design however, would have to be the uniforms featured in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, as to me, they far too much resembled pyjamas, rather than uniforms of any sort. They were very... outlandish. Too stereotypically "futuristic," as in something from a B movie, no offence intended for those that believe it's a good design. Just my opinion.
I liked the red uniforms with the fancy rank pins and little clips.... but for me it's go to be the Dominion War uniforms.... the were imo of similar quality and style as the old red uniforms of the TOS movies, but had a bit more of a badass look to them.

Besides, during the whole TNG/DS9/Voyager era, all the bad guys and allies had cool looking uniforms/outfits (Borg/Romulans/Klingons/Cardassians) that made them all look a bit intimidating..... finally they brought in the Dominion War Uniforms and presto.... Starfleet looks like it got a pair and ain't gonna take no guff from nobody :P
Praxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 04:23 PM   #33
J.T.B.
Commodore

Archaeologist wrote: View Post
My least favorite design however, would have to be the uniforms featured in Star Trek: The Motion Picture, as to me, they far too much resembled pyjamas, rather than uniforms of any sort. They were very... outlandish. Too stereotypically "futuristic," as in something from a B movie, no offence intended for those that believe it's a good design. Just my opinion.
No offense taken of course. But that kind of statement seems to come up a lot in these discussions, and I don't get it. It seems to imply either that we know what future uniforms would look like (as opposed to future pajamas), or that depictions of future uniforms should look like uniforms of today. But think of it this way: Would a US Navy sailor of the War of 1812, or even the Civil War, recognize the wash khakis and dungarees of World War II as naval uniforms? I don't think so.

If the criticism of the TMP uniforms is simply that they're ugly, I can understand that. I'm not crazy about their looks, especially the untucked shirt-tail look at the bottom of the blouses. But that's in the eye of the beholder. I like them the best because they are strong conceptually. There are different variants, some more formal, some for working. There are different protective and "occupational" additions. And surely short sleeves would be welcome sometimes. There are also some ties to TOS uniforms so the TMP outfits could reasonably be their descendants.

I like the TWOK uniforms the least. As I've said before, they are such a complete break with what was established before that it makes one think some kind of revolution must have taken place.

--Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 08:59 PM   #34
Sector 7
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Sector 7

^...or perhaps it is because to most people looking at those TMP uniforms THEY LOOK LIKE PAJAMAS. Perhaps it has more to do with that than ignorance about what future space uniforms will look like. They may as creative as you say and still LOOK LIKE PAJAMAS to most moviegoers.
Old July 13 2010, 10:50 PM   #35
J.T.B.
Commodore

Sector 7 wrote: View Post
^...or perhaps it is because to most people looking at those TMP uniforms THEY LOOK LIKE PAJAMAS. Perhaps it has more to do with that than ignorance about what future space uniforms will look like. They may as creative as you say and still LOOK LIKE PAJAMAS to most moviegoers.
Sure. But to say they look like pajamas rather than uniforms is to make some kind of assumption about what uniforms would look like some 300 years in the future. And like I said, I don't follow that line of thinking. But YMMV.

--Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2010, 11:08 PM   #36
Anika Hanson
Captain

Mid-late TNG
Old July 14 2010, 01:00 AM   #37
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

I have wondered if a TV series set in the movie era might have on-duty officers simply wear the colored tunic without the red jacket. It would look very similar to the original series uniforms.
Old July 14 2010, 06:47 AM   #38
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I see that the polls are leaning towards the heavier WOK and DS9 uniforms, and in part I would agree, but in the end I had to go with the classic TOS. Helen Noel just wouldn't have looked as good in anything else.

Ok, she'd probably look good in a drop cloth, but you get the idea.
Old July 14 2010, 07:43 AM   #39
rainrotoka
Ensign

I like the Star trek "Enterprise" uniform. It is very cool and stylish.
rainrotoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2010, 09:27 PM   #40
Smellincoffee
Commodore

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

The First Contact/DS9 uniforms are my personal favorite, although the only ones I don't like are the TMP jumpsuits.
DS9 CapCon #103: The Most Dangerous Game
"The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.." - Commander Montgomery Scott.
Smellincoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14 2010, 11:58 PM   #41
Tom Riley
Commodore

View Tom Riley's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Tom Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Riley

The Late DS9 and First Contact uniforms are by far my favorite. They even had my favorite Dress Uniforms, the white and black ones. My second favorite is the STII-STVI ones. As for my LEAST favorite? TMP... although, the early TNG ones aren't far off...
Tom Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 12:10 AM   #42
Red Ranger
Admiral

While I'm fond of the TOS uniforms -- from Man Trap on -- and also like the 2009 movie uniforms, my favorite is the later season TNG uniforms. There's an elegance in their simplicity, and I've always preferred red as the command color.

"I would make this war as severe as possible, and show no symptoms of tiring till the South begs for mercy." -- William Tecumseh Sherman
Red Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 12:32 AM   #43
EnsignRicky
Commodore

Red Ranger wrote: View Post
and I've always preferred red as the command color.
Me Too.
Old July 15 2010, 02:45 AM   #44
Luther Sloan
Captain

The modern grey 24th Century uniforms are the best!

I also liked grey and white uniforms worn by the Voyager crew who were in that one alien race in the episode called "Drive".

I also liked the recent white dress uniforms as seen in Insurrection, as well.

And I did like the Original Series film red jackets with the flap in the front, too.

And the Voyager style uniform with the grey underneath was pretty good, too.
Luther Sloan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2010, 09:25 AM   #45
Nightdiamond
Fleet Captain

I always thought the 3d season TNG uniforms looked cool.

It had a sleek, stylish look to it, along with how the rank pins were placed on the collar.

If a fan were to wear one, you'd recognize it immediately.
Nightdiamond is offline   Reply With Quote