RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,683
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 430
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2010, 03:45 AM   #91
Dream
Admiral

Re: The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Discussion and Grading

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
It seems this is a theme in the Twilight movies, the secondary characters get a lot more attention than the secondary ones. Along the same lines, as I understand it, the "bad vampires" in the first movie just showed up at the end of the book/at the ballgame but in the movie the director/writer had the intercut scenes of the vampires coming towards Forks.
The first book is really funny. HALF the book is about how hot/wonderful/perfect Edward is. Entire paragraphs can be skipped without missing anything. I was amazed that they were actually able to make a movie out of it. The only interesting parts for me were about the vampires. I really think most people wouldn't give this series a second look if Edward and Jacob were just normal dudes instead of monsters.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 06:27 AM   #92
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Rii wrote: View Post
I'm no expert on parenting, but rather than forbidding children and teenagers to indulge their curiosity or base interest in stuff like Twilight, I'd seek to ensure that they were also presented with alternative examples and messages in the form of other fiction, real relationships, subtle parental guidance, and so on.
Oh, absolutely. One mark of successful parenting of young girls today: you have a teenage daughter who has no interest in Twilight, or, if she must, enjoys it on an appropriately mature and sardonic level. If, on the other hand, you have a daughter, especially aged 8-14 or so, who actually thinks it's a work of art, and not a juicebomb, well... some remedial parenting may be in order.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 03:29 PM   #93
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

I saw it, guess its the best one of the series so far, I've never read the books so I don't know how it compares. It was entertaining enough, held my attention, definitely feels a little juvenile though. However, I really like how Edward is so passionate about waiting until marriage, it is rare to find conviction like that in movies these days. So thumbs up to that. I hear there is a really graphic sex scene in the novel though, interesting to see how they pull that off in the upcoming movie.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 09:18 PM   #94
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
I saw it, guess its the best one of the series so far, I've never read the books so I don't know how it compares. It was entertaining enough, held my attention, definitely feels a little juvenile though. However, I really like how Edward is so passionate about waiting until marriage, it is rare to find conviction like that in movies these days. So thumbs up to that. I hear there is a really graphic sex scene in the novel though, interesting to see how they pull that off in the upcoming movie.
I don't see how it's great or "passionate" that Edward wants to wait, the sex part, I mean... Should he really be praised for doing the right thing?

It's my understanding they have sex in the book pretty much "off screen", i.e. it's not described in any detail. However:

Old July 8 2010, 10:13 PM   #95
Dream
Admiral

It's been announced that the next two movies will be PG-13. They'll definately be toning it down if that want to keep that rating. Not sure how much the story will change or still the same though.
Old July 8 2010, 10:32 PM   #96
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Okay, about that ending...

Old July 8 2010, 11:22 PM   #97
Trippy
NaNoWriMo Victim

View Trippy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Trippy Send a message via Yahoo to Trippy

It's my understanding they have sex in the book pretty much "off screen", i.e. it's not described in any detail.
For all the information you seem to have at your fingertips, I had assumed you had read the novels. There are two sex scenes that happen while Bella is still alive that do not happen 'off screen' and one once she has turned.

I imagine, though, they will be 'off screen' for the film to keep the rating.

LJ

LJ2
Trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 11:26 PM   #98
Dream
Admiral

Trippy wrote: View Post
It's my understanding they have sex in the book pretty much "off screen", i.e. it's not described in any detail.
For all the information you seem to have at your fingertips, I had assumed you had read the novels. There are two sex scenes that happen while Bella is still alive that do not happen 'off screen' and one once she has turned.

The movie can have sex scenes and still keep the PG-13 rating. They just can't show too much.
Old July 9 2010, 02:06 AM   #99
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Trippy wrote: View Post

I've not read the books but have read and seen a lot about them, from what I recalled the "sex scenes" in the book were either off screen or pretty much nothing to write home about.
Old July 9 2010, 02:27 AM   #100
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

[QUOTE=Trekker4747;4227167]
Brent wrote: View Post

Never read the books and couln't even see the first movie fully for all the badness it had but Jesus Christ in Heaven that spoiler reads like absolutely the worst fan fiction ever!

If i hadn't too many hobbies already and work i just might read the novels now!
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9 2010, 02:57 AM   #101
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

The really morbid parts of my curiosity wants to read the books to, but that'd mean either an embarassing pruchase at the book store or some really terrible Amazon suggestions.

Anyway, yeah, the books do read like bad fan-fiction from everything I've read about them. Here's a good sum-up of them:

LINK

Spoilers, obviously, lurk in that link.
Old July 9 2010, 04:26 AM   #102
Dream
Admiral

Breaking Dawn is a weird rated R horror novel. It's like the author completey forgot that she was suppose to be writing for a YA audience. I'm sure it scared plenty of tweens when it was first released. The main problem I had with it was that it dragged. Nothing happens for much of it, which is why I was surprised that are going to try to stretch it into two movies. It won't be very hard to improve on the novel, just get change some of the dumb parts.
Old July 9 2010, 05:05 AM   #103
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
It won't be very hard to improve on the novel, just get change some of the dumb parts.
Why should they start now?
Old July 9 2010, 05:20 AM   #104
Dream
Admiral

It won't be very hard to improve on the novel, just get change some of the dumb parts.
Why should they start now?
All three Twilight movies are a little different from the books. It tends to happen with most book adaptations. The biggest changes about them was that each movie ended differently from their book versions.
Old July 9 2010, 06:13 AM   #105
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Breaking Dawn..... Nothing happens for much of it, which is why I was surprised that are going to try to stretch it into two movies. It won't be very hard to improve on the novel, just get change some of the dumb parts.
I read the Wikipedia plot summary, and I'm confused also:

You could fit that into 45 minutes. But two movies? WTF?