Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Abrams To Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek 3 Casting Rumor Reactions
By: T'Bonz on Sep 24

Trek Comics Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 8 2010, 04:23 AM   #31
Fist McStrongpunch
Rear Admiral

Re: Babylon 5 Farscape-Style

Why not? Crichton using the wormhole weapon showed everyone involved just how terrible they were. Even Staleek realized that they could never ever be used in a war.
Old July 8 2010, 04:30 AM   #32
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yeah, I thought it worked just fine. That whole scene is my absolute favorite part of the miniseries because Crichton was finally able to stick it to the people who had been dicking him around for years on end.
Old July 8 2010, 05:49 AM   #33
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Fist McStrongpunch wrote: View Post
Why not? Crichton using the wormhole weapon showed everyone involved just how terrible they were. Even Staleek realized that they could never ever be used in a war.
But that's the point of MAD. And MAD was exactly the tactic that Chriton used.

If Chriton can use MAD to protect himself, why can't the Peacekeepers use MAD to protect themselves, or the Scarans?

No one should have that kind of power? Really, Commander Chriton, what gives you the right to make that decision? Is it your Biggest Hypocrite in the Universe Award given to you by the Hypocrite of the Month club, of which you are a founding

Aesop was that weapons don't make peace, people do. But Chriton couldn't have forced a peace without the threat of his doomsday weapon. Thus, doomsday weapons are good things that make peace. And it is wrong of Chriton to keep them to himself because sharing them could only make the universe more peaceful.

After all, it's likely that the treaty between Peacekeepers and Scarans will break down as soon as one side or the other stops fearing that Chriton might destroy the universe just to spite them (his deterrent value will be drastically reduced when he's raising a kid aboard Moya or on an out-of-the way planet that both sides can reasonably avoid attacking) and even if it doesn't the Nabari could pose problems in the near future. The deterrence factor provided by wormhole weapon proliferation would actually b ea good thing.
hyzmarca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 05:59 AM   #34
RoJoHen
Awesome

Except that:

a) Crichton did what he did as a last resort. He certainly didn't want to do it. He spent a good deal of time trying to find other options.

b) Giving wormhole weapons to everybody is just as big a risk without actually demonstrating what they could do. Nobody knew that a wormhole weapon would create a black hole that would swallow the galaxy, and nobody COULD know until Crichton demonstrated it. We don't use WMDs today because we have witnessed what they can actually do and we know that a nuclear war will likely mean the end of us all. You really think Emperor Staleek would have just taken Crichton's word that he shouldn't use the wormhole weapon? Hell no! He would have used it on the Peacekeepers the first chance he got, and he certainly wouldn't have the power to stop it.

I really think you're twisting the situation to fit your own views. Crichton certainly wasn't the one who decided that nobody should wield wormhole weapons. He was just trying to enforce what the Ancients told him.
Old July 8 2010, 08:48 AM   #35
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Harvey wrote: View Post
The comics I've read (the first three hardcovers that are set post-series) captured the voices of the characters and the feel of the series spot on. The likenesses weren't bad, either, though they weren't as close as the character voices.

I'm kind of curious about the two D'Argo hardcovers that I've seen. Since they aren't set post-series, and since I'm short on cash, I haven't picked them up. But if they're any good, I might give them a shot at some point. Anyone read them?
I've read the first D'Argo hardcover (I'm waiting for Amazon to send the next two) and loved it. Best part: it explores his relationship with Jool.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My main regret from the PKW replacing Season 5 is the story of Noranti and Sikozu. Even if they still kept Sikozu a traitor in the end, it would have been nice to see the build-up to that. When it was revealed in the PKW, it just felt really off, because the last we saw Sikozu she was very much playing for the good guys.
For what it's worth, she returns in the comics with some explanatory for her actions (but there's a hitch in the explanation which I have trouble swallowing). In a review thread I posted awhile ago, Keith indicated that further explanation for her actions (in particular the aforementioned hitch) might be explained in a future story if and when he feels it's necessary for the story.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2010, 08:51 AM   #36
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yeah, I read it and was fine with it, but it would have been nice to see the build-up pre-PKW rather than a follow-up explanation later.