To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Who Do You Want To Play Superman?
Matthew Bomer 10 10.31%
Henry Cavill 8 8.25%
Chace Crawford 1 1.03%
Christian Howard 2 2.06%
John Barrowman 4 4.12%
Jon Hamm 13 13.40%
Brandon Routh 46 47.42%
Tom Welling 15 15.46%
Other. 18 18.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 2 2010, 07:53 PM   #16
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Casting Superman?

I'd prefer to have Routh back in a SR sequel, but if we're going with the new Nolan version, I'd probably go with Bomer. He's one very good looking dude, and everytime I see him on White Collar I can't help but imagine him in the costume.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 12:14 AM   #17
Jetfire

Hermiod wrote: View Post
It should be someone at least 6'2" and in their mid-thirties. No more portraying Superman as a kid.
Someone at 5'11" can be faked to look taller...it happens in movies all the time.
Old July 3 2010, 12:54 AM   #18
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

^Absolutely. Thanks to creative camera angles, there are millions of moviegoers all over the world who are completely unaware that Tom Cruise is a midget!

Shazam! wrote: View Post
The correct answer is Jon Hamm:

Ghaa! He's not wearing his glasses! He's exposed his secret identity!

Personally, I'd like to see Brandon Routh back. But then, I'd also like to see Bryan Singer back. I loved Superman Returns. It wasn't perfect but neither were the Christopher Reeve movies. And since they've had a movie to work out the kinks, I think Singer & Routh could give us something really special for their follow-up. Alas...

I'd still like to see Routh back with another director, but that would also depend greatly on the kind of story that they plan on telling. Is it going to be an older, established Superman or a young man showing us the emotional journey of how he became the hero we all know & love? How much backstory are we going to get? How deeply intwined will this movie be with the mythology for its potential sequels? Until I know that, I can't reasonably pick out a Superman.
Old July 3 2010, 01:20 AM   #19
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

T'Baio wrote: View Post
I feel really bad knowing Brandon Routh will never wear the cape again.

The guy was fantastic and easily the best thing in Superman Returns. Whatever flaws that film has, none of them were his fault.

There was a time I thought no one would erase Christopher Reeve's image in my mind as the image of Superman.
Routh was a block of wood. Let's be clear, he was cast only because he bears a passing resemblance to Reeve.
Old July 3 2010, 01:20 AM   #20
nx1701g
Admiral

Count me as another vote for Brandon Routh. He wasn't a strike against SR (at least in my opinion).
Old July 3 2010, 01:29 AM   #21
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Add me to the folks who think Routh deserves at least one more shot at the cape.

Having rewatched the original two films a fair number of times since they came out on DVD, I have to say I think people tend to take all of the energy that they could apply to trashing those films if they wanted to and channel it at SR. Not that SR was great or anything, but I don't tend to think it's given a fair assessment either.

Hell, if the improvement from X-Men to X2 was any indication, a Singer sequel to SR could have been very impressive.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 02:47 AM   #22
Christopher
Writer

Well, count me as a voice of dissent. I never bought Routh as Superman for a second. He was totally wrong for the part.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 02:56 AM   #23
Aragorn
Admiral

If they're doing what they say they're doing and Superman's been on the scene for a while when the movie begins, I say Jim Caviezel. If it's a younger Superman who is relatively new to making himself known to the public, Matthew Bomer.

Plus I had a weird dream where Matthew Bomer was Superman, Rachel McAdams was Lois and Allison Mack was... Chloe.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 07:45 AM   #24
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Personally I'm a big Brandon Routh fan...he wasn't the problem with "Superman Returns" he just wasn't given enough to do as Superman. Almost all of his dialogue was written for him as Clark Kent. Remember that Routh was an unknown too when he wast cast for "Superman Returns" after a long and hundreds of candidates. I'm sure that whenever casting resumes for Nolan's "Superman" if they haven't decided on Routh reprising a role they'll repeat the same process and we could have a new Superman again. I like Jon Hamm...after that parody he did a year ago or so I think he'd be a great Lex.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 08:31 AM   #25
Snaploud
Admiral

Count me among the people hoping for an older Superman (an age minimum of about 33).

Christopher wrote: View Post
I never bought Routh as Superman for a second. He was totally wrong for the part.
Ditto
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 08:43 AM   #26
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I'm curious...why do you guys think he was wrong for the part?

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 09:04 AM   #27
Aragorn
Admiral

I personally was fine with Routh, but I have to wonder how he would've performed if he actually got to play Clark Kent/Superman instead of playing Christopher Reeve playing Clark Kent/Superman.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 09:07 AM   #28
Locutus of Bored
Furfallin'

If Nolan reuses actors he's worked with before, Guy Pierce, Aaron Eckhart, or Hugh Jackman would all be good choices. Just not Mumbles Bale.

Alternatively:

Adrian Pasdar (has some flying experience)
Billy Crudup
Thomas Jane
Adam Baldwin

That being said, I thought Routh was inspired casting and wouldn't mind seeing him play the role again.
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3 2010, 01:51 PM   #29
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
Count me among the people hoping for an older Superman (an age minimum of about 33).

Christopher wrote: View Post
I never bought Routh as Superman for a second. He was totally wrong for the part.
Ditto
What didn't you guys like about him? I ask out of genuine interest or curiousity, not the desire to rip your heads off for disagreeing with me.
Old July 3 2010, 02:00 PM   #30
Christopher
Writer

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I'm curious...why do you guys think he was wrong for the part?
Routh just didn't look or sound like Superman to me. His face is better suited to, say, Sherlock Holmes or Spock. He just looks out of place in the tights and cape. And his voice is just too nasal.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote