Greenwood Cast In Truth
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 1 2.70%
Above Average 7 18.92%
Average 7 18.92%
Below Average 7 18.92%
Poor 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1 2010, 09:47 PM   #31
SG-17
Commodore

Re: The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

Maybe M. Night would be held in higher esteem today if he actually did make Unbreakable into a trilogy. That film, along with Signs and The Sixth Sense are the only films of his worth existing at all, and unless he can learns from his mistakes with Book 1 (which I highly doubt will happen, unless something happens like his kids telling him the film sucked, which I hope they do) and make Book 2 actually an okay film.

SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 10:03 PM   #32
Peter the Younger
Commodore

I've defended M. Night before, but it's gotten increasingly tougher to do so. Well I haven't seen the movie, but from the sounds of it I won't be. I knew we were in trouble when the first trailers showed snippets of those awful, wooden performances. It seems my worst fears have been borne out.

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 10:11 PM   #33
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

SG-17 wrote: View Post
... Book 2 actually an okay film.
It's early, but given the reports thus far it seems highly unlikely Book 2 will ever be made, at least not with M. Night at the helm.
Old July 1 2010, 10:19 PM   #34
SG-17
Commodore

To my knowledge reviews have hardly, if ever stopped a sequel being made. The box office normally does. Though hopefully Nickelodeon is smart and pulled the license from M. Night. Hell maybe they will reboot the film franchise after just the first film!

Old July 1 2010, 10:46 PM   #35
Christopher
Writer

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
How were the pronunciations changed? I'd assume "Aang" was pronounced with an "ah" sound, which would make sense to me. Were there other changes as well?
According to one of the other reviews I've read, Iroh now rhymes with "hero", and Sokka is "Soak-a".
Those make sense to me as "Asianized" pronunciations of the names as they're spelled. Yes, they're different, but then, so are the appearances of the actors. I can understand him trying to differentiate his film. Of all the complaints I've heard, this one seems fairly trivial. (And frankly it always bugged me that Mai's name was pronounced "May" instead of "Mye." A name pronounced "May" should be spelled "Mei." So the show wasn't exactly accurate in its pronunciations to begin with.)

Though hopefully Nickelodeon is smart and pulled the license from M. Night. Hell maybe they will reboot the film franchise after just the first film!
I think the license would belong to Paramount and/or The Kennedy/Marshall Company. They could easily assign another director if they chose to continue the series.

I think the right way to go from here in theatrical terms would be an animated feature film from the original creators, in the original show's continuity. Which, of course, is what I've been saying all along that they should've done instead of this.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 10:52 PM   #36
Theonethatis
Commander

I am seeing it in a hour, may the great maker be with me.
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 10:55 PM   #37
SG-17
Commodore

You are going to seriously have to resist the urge to walk out if you want to be able to watch the entire film.

Old July 1 2010, 10:57 PM   #38
RoJoHen
Awesome

I really wanted to see it in theaters, but now I am completely unwilling to spend the money on a ticket. I will wait for Netflix.
Old July 1 2010, 11:01 PM   #39
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

Anybody here see this movie having NEVER seen the cartoon?
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 01:24 AM   #40
exodus
Fleet Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I really wanted to see it in theaters, but now I am completely unwilling to spend the money on a ticket. I will wait for Netflix.
Screw that, a rental still costs money.

I'm looking for a free bootleg download!
Old July 2 2010, 02:14 AM   #41
THE Robert Maxwell
Reports of my death...

View THE Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to THE Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to THE Robert Maxwell

Maybe M. Night would be held in higher esteem today if he actually did make Unbreakable into a trilogy. That film, along with Signs and The Sixth Sense are the only films of his worth existing at all, and unless he can learns from his mistakes with Book 1 (which I highly doubt will happen, unless something happens like his kids telling him the film sucked, which I hope they do) and make Book 2 actually an okay film.
Unbreakable is still my favorite movie of his. One of the few movies I saw in the theater more than once. It's a shame he's never been able to make another film up to that level. I used to think he had so much promise as a writer-director-producer.
Old July 2 2010, 02:24 AM   #42
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

exodus wrote: View Post

That would entail sitting through the whole movie.
Old July 2 2010, 03:25 AM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

exodus wrote: View Post

I should clarify. Instant Netflix.
Old July 2 2010, 03:31 AM   #44
Theonethatis
Commander

My wife as we were leaving Airbender hit upon something. She said it seems they dumbed this down for little kids, I think that was one of the major problems. Now what sort of complete idiot would take a children s show and dumb it down for children? Lady s and gentleman I give you M knight Shymalan.

Yes everything you have heard of is essentially true. The script reads like it was written by a 6 year old. Several times Katara literally tells us what we should have been seen. It something like this

" Aang and us fought of massive hordes of fire nation soldiers. Sokka used his boomerang to great effect. I learned new waterbending techniques, oh and there was this guy selling cabbage. But we aren't going to show you any of this because we don't have the budget." This happened several times. We didn't even get to see Aang crash into the sea. This should have been the first thing we saw.

Acting was not as bad as I expected. The biggest problem was the characters had nothing to do. They either just stood there or recited bad exposition. Katara was by far the worst. She was a pale pale imitation of her former self. Sokka had nothing to do. Sokka is supposed to be a sort of Xander character. There is a lot going on beneath Sokkas surface then we see. I think the actor could have done it with good writers. But no Sokka just stands there!!!

The kid who played Aang was adorable. But again he was given nothing to do. In the begining we see some of that trademark Aangness but it soon fades away.

Zuko was the best of child actors. And I saw glimpses of my favorite character in Patels performance. Patel could have pulled this off. In fact he was there, then he started yelling. Zuko was constantly yelling. Its like M night told him to remember this is a cartoon. Because damn it was cartoonish. However when Zuko was playing off of Iroh he was fine.

Speaking of Iroh. Iroh was great, he was wise and he was gentle. You could see the love he had for his nephew. The best scenes of the movie were of Zuko and Iroh. The two had great chemistry. There's a scene where Iroh is trying to convince Zuko to give up this futile search. They were wonderful together. So yes Iroh was the best actor.

Cinematography was good, Soundtrack was great. FX were ok. Appa and Momo look a little on the CG side. The buildings and the world were beyond neat to see in live action. But unfortunately the script sucked Sky Bison.

Last edited by Theonethatis; July 2 2010 at 03:39 AM. Reason: Just a little more outrage.
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2 2010, 03:46 AM   #45
Christopher
Writer

Theonethatis wrote: View Post
Acting was not as bad as I expected. The biggest problem was the characters had nothing to do. They either just stood there or recited bad exposition. Katara was by far the worst. She was a pale pale imitation of her former self.
Interesting choice of words, considering the casting controversies...

Sokka had nothing to do. Sokka is supposed to be a sort of Xander character. There is a lot going on beneath Sokkas surface then we see. I think the actor could have done it with good writers. But no Sokka just stands there!!!
Not surprising that Shyamalan has no idea what to do with a comic-relief character.

Zuko was the best of child actors.
Perhaps because he's 20 years old. But then, Sokka is played by a 25-year-old.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote