TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 1 2.70%
Above Average 7 18.92%
Average 7 18.92%
Below Average 7 18.92%
Poor 15 40.54%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Old July 1 2010, 03:22 AM   #1
Agent Richard07
Retired

The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

Welcome to the grading & discussion thread for The Last Airbender.
***SPOILERS AHEAD***

THE LAST AIRBENDER

"Air, Water, Earth, Fire. Four nations tied by destiny when the Fire Nation launches
a brutal war against the others. A century has passed with no hope in sight to change
the path of this destruction. Caught between combat and courage, Aang (Noah Ringer)
discovers he is the lone Avatar with the power to manipulate all four elements. Aang
teams with Katara (Nicola Peltz), a Waterbender, and her brother, Sokka (Jackson
Rathbone), to restore balance to their war-torn world. Based on the hugely successful
Nickelodeon animated TV series, the live-action feature film The Last Airbender is the
opening chapter in Aang's struggle to survive." - IGN

Official Website | Trailers | IMDb Page | Wikipedia Entry
Box Office Mojo Page | Rotten Tomatoes Page
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 04:15 AM   #2
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: The Last Airbender - Grading & Discussion

Ebert and Berardinelli both tear this movie to shreds. Them both not liking (hating, really) something is an automatic don't-see for me, though I wasn't planning to see this to begin with (Shyamalan sucking as much as he does).

From the sound of it, this movie sets a new low for 3D conversion.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 04:31 AM   #3
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Roger Ebert wrote:
The story takes place in the future, after Man has devastated the planet and survives in the form of beings with magical powers allowing them to influence earth, water and fire. These warring factions are held in uneasy harmony by the Avatar, but the Avatar has disappeared, and Earth lives in a state of constant turmoil caused by the warlike Firebenders.
Okay what?
Old July 1 2010, 04:45 AM   #4
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert wrote:
The story takes place in the future, after Man has devastated the planet and survives in the form of beings with magical powers allowing them to influence earth, water and fire. These warring factions are held in uneasy harmony by the Avatar, but the Avatar has disappeared, and Earth lives in a state of constant turmoil caused by the warlike Firebenders.
Okay what?
Yeah...did Ebert just make that up, or is that actually in the movie?
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 05:21 AM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Roger Ebert wrote:
Okay what?
I mean, the last part is right....

I don't know, but in the show, the planet didn't look particularly devastated to me.
Old July 1 2010, 05:48 AM   #6
Hanukkah Solo
Admiral

It reminds me of Oliver Stone's first draft of Conan the Barbarian, which would have taken the Hyborian Age out of the established antediluvian era and moved it forward into a post-apocalyptic future.
Hanukkah Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 05:51 AM   #7
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Thundarr the Barbarian?
Old July 1 2010, 06:27 AM   #8
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
Okay what?
I mean, the last part is right....

I don't know, but in the show, the planet didn't look particularly devastated to me.
Yeah, Ebert's definitely a bit on the insane side. I rarely pay any attention to his movie reviews.

Although the film is getting torn to shreds over on Rotten Tomatoes with a 6% fresh rating. The Last Airbender actually has a lower fresh rating than Grown Ups. I was really looking forward to this film given my unnatural and unhealthy love towards the TV series, but I'm passing on this one.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 06:35 AM   #9
Aragorn
Admiral

The first time I saw a major screw up in an Ebert review was when he thought a young Captain Picard was the captain of the Enterprise B in Star Trek: Generations.

If this movie is as bad as the early reviews suggest, then Armond White should be giving it a glowing review and praising it for the exact same things he criticizes acclaimed movies for.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 07:24 AM   #10
SG-17
Commodore

Spoilers below.

It was a horrible film. Completely trash. The only good part of the film was Zuko's scenes. He was the only character that felt like the show and his parts were good. Everything else on the other hand...... I mean the film jumped around so much it felt like a YouTube mashup.
Jumps from the iceberg to Haru's village and the prison which was by the way, in a canyon instead of on a rig. Jumps to another village they 'free'. Jumps to 'Fire Nation Colony 15' with Iroh telling Zuko to relax and go get laid. Then his ship explodes from a fucking gas leak. No pirates, no powder kegs, a fucking gas leak.
Ozai was not intimidating at all, neither was Zhao. No agni kai between Zuko and Zhao, no Ocean Spirit Godzilla, no Fire Nation ships were destroyed at all. Aang just scared them off with a wave.
The Spirit World was also weird. Aang was talking to Roku's dragon, not Roku himself. No Hei Bai, no Koh the Face Stealer, no cranky monkey.

I could barely sit through it. I wanted to get up and leave, but I had to finish it.
Hopefully when/if a second film is made, Bumi, Toph, Azula, Mai, and Ty Lee will be like their show counterparts like Zuko is. Hopefully the more Zuko centric second book will make the film better than the first.
SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 07:30 AM   #11
RoJoHen
Awesome

Sounds super lame.
Old July 1 2010, 07:44 AM   #12
Theonethatis
Commander

There was once a time I liked Shymalan. I started watching Avatar because he was directing it, and I was very interested in what this was. Now with all the reviews coming out I have to say A semi sentient garden gnome couldn't fuck this up!!!!!! Yet Shymalan did. The source material is so good it really should have been impossible. Yet M night did!!!!!! WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON!!!!!!!!!!!

Still going to see it this weekend. But instead of the glorious epic it should have been. its going to be the death knell of a film adaption and Shymalans career. Well at least we have the new series coming out.

Really who's bright idea was it to cut out the middle of movie???? 45 minutes to get to the Northern water tribe??? This film should have been 2 hours at least. You cant speed this up. people are not going to get it. LOTR worked because we were introduced to world of middle earth coherently. that way they got to understand the world before the main plot began. This is what should have been done here.

NO Agni Kai!!!!!!!! Isnt that Zukos whole story!!!!!!!! Really how can you not put Zukos whole reason for existence in the damn movie.

Last edited by Theonethatis; July 1 2010 at 07:48 AM. Reason: More outrage
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 07:53 AM   #13
SG-17
Commodore

They show his Agni Kai with his father in a flashback, but there is no Agni Kai between him and Commander Zhao.
SG-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 08:04 AM   #14
Theonethatis
Commander

Well at least there's that. Zuko is my favorite character I hope they don't destroy him to badly. So is it really 45 minutes untill they get to the NWT and is there really no character development? And especially is the dialogue of the adaption of one of the best written TV shows this decade really that bad???
Theonethatis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1 2010, 08:25 AM   #15
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Damn, I'm sounding really disappointed by what I'm hearing. I love the show.

Although Ebert clearly doesn't know what the devil he's talking about.