TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old June 25 2010, 03:07 PM   #31
indolover
Fleet Captain

Re: DS9: Your Favorite EPISODE Of The Series.

Bishop76 wrote: View Post
The Visitor - it may be the best episode of Trek
I'll get flamed for this, but to me it's too sappy. it's very well acted though (by Cirroc Lofton and Tony Todd).
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2010, 04:35 PM   #32
Too Much Fun
Commodore

A lot of my favourites are more comedic episodes. I think DS9 does a lighter tone type of episode really well. I like "You Are Cordially Invited...", "His Way", and "Take Me Out to the Holosuite" much more than "In The Pale Moonlight". Along with "To the Death" and "Trials and Tribble-ations", they comprise my top 5.

I love "Trials and Tribble-ations" most - it's just pure joy to watch from start to finish, with the delightful dialog and wonderful performances. Jadzia's enthusiasm throughout that episode is what made me a huge fan of that character in the first place. Also, the running gag with Bashir and O'Brien is hilarious, and Sisko's 'interaction' with Kirk was priceless.
Too Much Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2010, 07:30 PM   #33
flemm
Fleet Captain

TheGodBen wrote: View Post
DS9's cast fragmented a lot in the later seasons and it was rare for them to do a big ensemble episode, so I think it was good for them to have an episode like this in the final season.
It's from this point of view that I've come to appreciate both Take Me Out to the Holosuite and Badda-Bing. Basically they're a way of taking a step back from the ongoing storylines and letting the characters spend a little quality time with each other and with the fans before the final chapter. It's on the list of creative decisions on the part of Ira Behr and co. that I've come to appreciate more over time (Vic Fontaine is also on the list.) Others are still incomprehensible to me, but perhaps there will come a day when all shall be revealed

I don't have a single favorite, but I think A Time to Stand/Rocks and Shoals deserves a mention as a two-parter. Favor the Bold/Sacrifice of Angels is the section of the Occupation Arc that immediately comes to mind I think for any fan, but rewatching the opening two episodes of season 6 a few times has allowed me to appreciate just how good they are. So tightly written and beautifully directed (especially R&S), with so many underlying themes and questions being addressed in a subtle manner.

indolover wrote: View Post
The Visitor - it may be the best episode of Trek
I'll get flamed for this, but to me it's too sappy. it's very well acted though (by Cirroc Lofton and Tony Todd).
The Visitor has never had the impact on me that it has on many fans. Well-written and performed certainly, but I can't say it has ever really stood out to me as the masterpiece episode that it is to some. I never have any desir to rewatch it, for example, whereas there many episodes of DS9 I enjoy rewatching on a fairly regular basis.

Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
A lot of my favourites are more comedic episodes. I think DS9 does a lighter tone type of episode really well.
I agree that it does, at least when mass Ferengi aren't involved (though even occasionally when they are). In the Cards is another great example of a lighter episode, though I admit I find it somewhat mystifying that a fan of the show would perceive this as DS9's absolute best material. However, to each his own!

Last edited by flemm; June 25 2010 at 07:55 PM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25 2010, 08:36 PM   #34
Joeman
Captain

Don't know how many eps I rated 10/10, but there were a lot. Forced to pick one, I'd probably almost always pick It's Only A Paper Moon. That episode just always really resonated with me for some reason. I love all the political and religious intrigue, space battles, and "torture O'Brien" episodes, but this one was a real departure that I found very touching and extremely well done.
Old June 26 2010, 01:52 AM   #35
Bishop76
Fleet Captain

flemm wrote: View Post
DS9's cast fragmented a lot in the later seasons and it was rare for them to do a big ensemble episode, so I think it was good for them to have an episode like this in the final season.
It's from this point of view that I've come to appreciate both Take Me Out to the Holosuite and Badda-Bing. Basically they're a way of taking a step back from the ongoing storylines and letting the characters spend a little quality time with each other and with the fans before the final chapter.
To me, the "funny" or "light-hearted" episodes never worked well in DS9. They always came across as forced and out of place and the Ferengi episodes annoyed me to no end. I'm not sure if it was just the tone of the series, the writers' inability to be funny, or the cast's inability to make things funny. To me, the only funny episode that worked well was Trials and Tribbleations and it worked marvelously.
Old June 26 2010, 02:52 AM   #36
Joel_Kirk
Rear Admiral

'Trials and Tribble-ations' is my favorite...
Old June 26 2010, 04:21 PM   #37
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

flemm wrote: View Post
It's from this point of view that I've come to appreciate both Take Me Out to the Holosuite and Badda-Bing. Basically they're a way of taking a step back from the ongoing storylines and letting the characters spend a little quality time with each other and with the fans before the final chapter.
To me, the "funny" or "light-hearted" episodes never worked well in DS9. They always came across as forced and out of place and the Ferengi episodes annoyed me to no end. I'm not sure if it was just the tone of the series, the writers' inability to be funny, or the cast's inability to make things funny. To me, the only funny episode that worked well was Trials and Tribbleations and it worked marvelously.
It seems Take Me Out to the Holosuite is a really divisive episode. Personally, I don't like it at all.

I'd agree that a lot of DS9's comedy episodes fall flat, but there are some I like: The House of Quark, Fascination, Looking for Par'Mach in all the Wrong Places, Trials and Tribble-ations, In the Cards.
Old June 26 2010, 07:05 PM   #38
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Homefront/Paradise Lost

These episodes just hit it out of the park.
Old June 26 2010, 08:26 PM   #39
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

Its hard to choose, because I love the dominion story that took over. I also appreciated the stand alone episodes. The Dominion was not all that deep space nine was- But it was the Dominion Arc that grabbed a lot of viewers and my imagination. I think therefore I have to choose a Dominion themed episode and that would be The Jem'Hadar, just simply because it introduced the best enemy ever. Also it was funny and finally gave the wormhole some purpose. I love ITPM and it is a Dominion story but its more about Starfleet and morals than the War itself so its a close second as a non Dominion Arc story. Sacrifice of Angles is a tie with ITPM.

Anything with Vic Fontaine sucks- well the parts with him in it at least. But not as bad as Fair Haven. Little green men was a brilliant take on Roswell.
Old June 26 2010, 09:51 PM   #40
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

I can't believe I missed this thread for so long!

There are a lot of great DS9 episodes. But the one that is my favorite--though I can't watch it very much because it gets me absolutely BAWLING--is "Ties of Blood and Water." Very, VERY underrated episode, in my opinion.
Old June 26 2010, 11:48 PM   #41
Kira Nerys
Fleet Captain

post deleted
Kira Nerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2010, 12:28 PM   #42
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Maybe unconventional... Hard Time.
Old June 27 2010, 04:30 PM   #43
Trek_princess
Lieutenant Commander

There are SO many great DS9 epidsodes! I've seen the series through once and I'm about to start re-watching it. I really love Garak, so of course I love "The Wire" and "In the Pale Moonlight." I also like "Paper Moon" and the episode with the baby changeling - don't remember what that's called. "Duet" is also great. I can't remember episdoes from the earlier seasons, but I know there were several from there I loved. I also like the episode where Kira takes care of the dying Cardassian man (Ghemor?).
Trek_princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2010, 04:40 PM   #44
Solarbaby
Fleet Captain

View Solarbaby's Twitter Profile

Interesting how hardly any of the 1st 2 season stories have been chosen
Old June 27 2010, 05:01 PM   #45
flemm
Fleet Captain

S3CT1ON31 wrote: View Post
Interesting how hardly any of the 1st 2 season stories have been chosen
Duet and Necessary Evil have both come up, as has opening arc of season 2. Those first two are definitely on my favorites list, and I'm a big fan of The Circle storyline, especially when considered as a five-episode arc starting with Duet (which it basically is, thematically speaking).

Season 1 is of course the weakest season, but I think season 2 compares pretty favorably to the later seasons overall and is still among my favorite seasons of DS9. What makes DS9 great (at least for me) at the end of the day is the universe and character building, which season 2 does a lot of, arguably more than any other season with the attention given to both Bajoran and Cardassian cultures, characters such as Garak (Cardassians, The Wire), Dukat (Cardassians and especially The Maquis 1 & 2, where he steals the show), Bareil and Winn (in the opening arc and The Collaborator), along with Odo's Bajoran "father" in The Alternate, not to mention that this season introduced both the Dominion and the Maquis, established the "torture O'Brien" tradition with Whispers, launched Bashir and O'Brien's friendship in Rivals and Armeggedon Game, planted the seeds for Kira and Odo's long and complex relationship, transformed Dax's character in Blood Oath, revisited the MU for the first time since TOS in Crossover (which is brilliant, however mediocre and outright bad the MU eventually became on DS9), flashed back to Terok Nor for the first time, the list goes on.

Season 1 is mostly forgettable. Season 2 has a lot of great episodes, but also lays the groundwork for most of the relationships and storylines that the show will explore for the rest of its run.

Last edited by flemm; June 27 2010 at 05:31 PM.
flemm is offline   Reply With Quote