Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What do you think about the episode?
Brilliant 43 37.39%
Good 52 45.22%
Average 12 10.43%
Meh 3 2.61%
I wish we had a puke smilie 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 3 2010, 09:29 PM   #196
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: 5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

Old June 4 2010, 01:35 AM   #197
DAK
Admiral

Also, watch the part where he's lying on the ground with the TARDIS shrapnel, just after he's pulled it out of the crack. You never see him stick it in his coat pocket. One second it's in his hand, the next it's gone - it looks like it vanishes into thin air.
Old June 4 2010, 09:02 AM   #198
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

That's just editing surely?
Old June 5 2010, 01:09 AM   #199
DAK
Admiral

I'm sure it is. It just looks funny, because the camera stays on the Doctor but the shrapnel vanishes as his hand moves to the ground.
Old June 20 2010, 03:39 AM   #200
Mr Light
Admiral

USA's turn. Unfortunately a lackluster two parter on the whole. I'd much rather have had the Dalek WWII story as a two parter, it was much more epic and much more rushed, while this story just felt small and extremely padded for length. I like the attempt at negotiation and peace. Also, yay, Rory died! I didn't care for him. And even better his very existence was wiped from the series so that we don't have to see Amy being all sad and mopey about it! The best of two worlds!

I must say, after the initial thrill of the new season, these past few episodes have been very disappointing. Everything since the River/Angel two parter has been very average. I'm still waiting for the next great episode. I have no doubts the ending two parter will be amazing but what about the next two?

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 03:58 AM   #201
The Wormhole
Admiral

I found it to be an enjoyable two-parter, but then I have a soft spot for lizard people.

A bit predictable that what's her name ended up killing the Silurian, that taser in part 1 gave that away. Likewise, though I'd read spoilers before hand, I'm sure I could have figured out from the scene with the engagement ring in part 1 that Rory would be written out.

Still, a solid enough episode. Nothing special but entertaining enough.

Last edited by The Wormhole; June 21 2010 at 02:10 AM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2010, 08:11 AM   #202
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.

Rory's death really pissed me off. He was fast becoming one of my all-time favorite companions. And his relationship with Amy was one of the few things that added depth to her character. Otherwise, she's just another random hot chick with a crush on the Doctor, like Rose or Martha. But there was something really cute about Amy/Rory. You could tell that they had a close relationship that no one else could see or understand, mostly because no one else could get past the fact that she was "out of his league." But then, I suspect Rory might end up being one of the great misunderstood, underrated companions, like Harry Sullivan.

I'm hoping that Rory's death gets "Year of Hell"-reversed. Although, honestly, it won't really matter to me unless he returns as a companion as well. (Kinda like how I thought Donna's story in "Journey's End" was appropriately heartbreaking but it still pissed me off because she was a great companion that was no longer being used.)

Beyond that, I thought it was a serviceable story. It wasn't A+ brilliant, but then, nothing this season has been except for maybe "Amy's Choice" & some of the River song stuff. Much like with a lot of David Tennant's early stories, Matt Smith is propping up this series with sheer charisma. (And while Rory was around, there was another interesting regular to carry some of the weight. Now that's gone...)
Old June 21 2010, 01:42 AM   #203
Worf2DS9
Writer

I enjoyed the episode as well, and thought Rory's death was such a shame. His subsequent erasure from history was even worse! That scene with the Doctor trying to help Amy to keep Rory in her memory was gut-wrenching. The revelation of what the Doctor pulled from the crack was a surprise too. Can't wait to see how it all pans out.

Next week: Vincent "vanGoff"?
+ Full Throttle Space Tales #3: Space Grunts - "Rush"
Worf2DS9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 01:54 AM   #204
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

DAK wrote: View Post
Also, watch the part where he's lying on the ground with the TARDIS shrapnel, just after he's pulled it out of the crack. You never see him stick it in his coat pocket. One second it's in his hand, the next it's gone - it looks like it vanishes into thin air.
Well that's just the Doctor - always making things seem to appear and disappear in thin air.

The Silurian female would of made a good internet troll but God, Ambrose bugged the shit out of me.

Wondering what happened to the Silurian's 3rd eye.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 02:47 AM   #205
Bones
Commodore

Marc wrote: View Post
Wondering what happened to the Silurian's 3rd eye.
I'm wondering what happened to the Silurians full stop.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 03:32 AM   #206
Mr Light
Admiral

BTW the bit where the Doctor says human germs are half of what's keeping him alive... was that a reference to the TV movie claim that he's half human? I thought they were ignoring that.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 03:36 AM   #207
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Mr Light wrote: View Post
BTW the bit where the Doctor says human germs are half of what's keeping him alive... was that a reference to the TV movie claim that he's half human? I thought they were ignoring that.
perhaps the beam would have killed the alien germs in him, not just human germs, i don't think he specifically meant human germs were keeping him alive, but whatever process the sterilization thing uses would also kill his alien germs, and he knew that

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 04:48 PM   #208
Photoman15
Fleet Captain

If the device were set for humans, it would try to eradicate anything that wasn't supposed to be in a human. For the Doctor, that should be everything, sort of like the bio-filter on the TNG transporters.
Old June 24 2010, 08:32 PM   #209
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral

View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile

Just watched it. Overall I liked it, but had a few issues with the Silurians/Homo Reptilia:

1. I don't like the more human look. It makes it too easy for the viewer to empathize with them. If it's more of a struggle to connect with an "alien," there's a bigger payoff. Think about D84 in "Robots of Death" (I still get choked up at his death scene) or the Horta from TOS "Devil in the Dark" ("No Kill I"). The faces were just too human for my liking.

2. The Silurian warrior woman seemed to have...how do I say this delicately...a rack. Why would reptiles have breasts? They're not mammals, after all.

3. Related to this, the Silurians in general were blathering on about "apes" a lot, and even talked about hunting them. I'm a little unclear of exactly when they took the Big Sleep, but wasn't it before apes emerged? Wouldn't they just have been chasing shrews or lemurs around?

That's just the cranky nitpicky stuff. Altogether it made for an enjoyable 42 minutes o TV. I'm really impressed with Matt Smith so far--I absolutely buy him as "the Doctor."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2010, 11:51 PM   #210
The Wormhole
Admiral

shatnertage wrote: View Post
2. The Silurian warrior woman seemed to have...how do I say this delicately...a rack. Why would reptiles have breasts? They're not mammals, after all.
Because they're played by mammal actors, and that sort of thing is difficult to cover up.

I remember this sort of issue coming up in Star Trek discussions about the Cardassians, who are supposedly reptillian but they're women have breasts as well.