Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 21 2010, 03:09 AM   #16
Plan 9
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: When are we ever going to see a Supergirl flick?

Young blond women are really hard to find in Hollywood, so I imagine casting such a movie would be arduous indeed. Oops, did I let a little sarcasm sneak into my post?
"Ah, what's the use of makin' a fuss. Last night I saw a flyin' object that couldn't a possibly been from this planet, but I can't talk about it. I'm muzzled by Army Brass. I can't even admit I saw the thing!"
--Jeff Trent, Plan 9 From Outer Space
Plan 9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 03:31 AM   #17
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Gaith;4181429[QUOTE=Shazam! wrote: View Post
Also, the problem with a Supergirl movie is that EVERY Supergirl origin is either ridiculously lame or diminishes Superman's 'Last son of Krypton' schtick.
A very fair point. So, why not make her a parallel universe female Kal-El? Jor-El had a daughter instead of a son, and launched her. Ergo, Supergirl, with a non-lame origin that doesn't diminish Clark's. [/QUOTE]

Then you'd have Power Girl.

I dunno...I think the "another planet from another universe" aspect would be too much for a mainstream movie.
Old June 21 2010, 03:54 AM   #18
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^^ Er, no; Power Girl is an alternate version of Kara/Supergirl, who has AFAIK always existed alongside Superman in some form, whereas I'm proposing replacing Superman for this particular movie. An entirely different kettle of fish. As for the alternate universe angle, so long as there weren't any crossovers to Kal-El's universe, I hardly think audiences would be confused, seeing as how they embraced the loopier Trek XI without any trouble. It'd just be a Superman story, maybe showing Ma and Pa Kent, but with a chick. No problemo.

Speaking of which, I always wanted to see a Smallville episode with this sort of conceit, in which Clark somehow enters an alternative reality where a daughter of Jor-El and Lara came to Earth. Clark and his "sister" could then kick some butt together before the former went home.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 04:00 AM   #19
Jetfire

I would go with Taylor Momsen for Supergirl.

http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/categ...momsen/page/4/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_Momsen

Taylor Michel Momsen[1] (born July 26, 1993) is an American actress, musician, and model. She portrays the character Jenny Humphrey on The CW television series Gossip Girl. She is also known for her role as Cindy Lou Who in How the Grinch Stole Christmas,[2] and for fronting the rock band, The Pretty Reckless.
She is young, very lovely and popular...soon to be even more so.

Old June 21 2010, 04:06 AM   #20
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

You guys are inspiring to write my own "Supergirl" script. I'd love to see a "Supergirl" script featuring the current Michael Turner/Jeph Loeb Kara. I've been a fan of hers since reading that arc. I dig Taylor Momsen. I like the idea of it being a coming of age superhero flick. You'd need the use of Superman, Lois, and Ma and Pa Kent maybe if you adapted the current edition. Probably would have to create a villain like the original film tried to do but make it more of a threat. Perhaps even a "Supergirl and the Legion of Superheroes" film would be interesting. Hmmmm.....

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 04:17 AM   #21
Jetfire

^
And Taylor Momsen's band(The Pretty Reckless) could do a song or 2 for the Supergirl soundtrack. I am loving this!

Make Me Wanna Die | The Pretty Reckless

[add] Taylor Momsen is a really talented and beautiful young lady.
Old June 21 2010, 04:22 AM   #22
T J
Commodore

Gaith wrote: View Post
T J wrote: View Post
Not only do I disagree, these choices are beyond dreadful! Do I have better suggestions of my own... no, not at the moment. But at the very least I'd choose a woman and not prepubescent looking little girls.
This.

Adrianne Palicki played the fake Kara from Smallville's S4 finale, and could still be a very solid choice, imo...

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Also, the problem with a Supergirl movie is that EVERY Supergirl origin is either ridiculously lame or diminishes Superman's 'Last son of Krypton' schtick.
A very fair point. So, why not make her a parallel universe female Kal-El? Jor-El had a daughter instead of a son, and launched her. Ergo, Supergirl, with a non-lame origin that doesn't diminish Clark's.
Now this I could see!
Old June 21 2010, 04:51 AM   #23
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

^^ Er, no; Power Girl is an alternate version of Kara/Supergirl, who has AFAIK always existed alongside Superman in some form, whereas I'm proposing replacing Superman for this particular movie. An entirely different kettle of fish. As for the alternate universe angle, so long as there weren't any crossovers to Kal-El's universe, I hardly think audiences would be confused, seeing as how they embraced the loopier Trek XI without any trouble. It'd just be a Superman story, maybe showing Ma and Pa Kent, but with a chick. No problemo.
I know what and who Power Girl is. In short, she's Supergirl from an alternate universe.

What I didn't understand is that you meant the whole movie would take place in the alt-universe, instead of having Supergirl cross-over to "our" universe. I am still not sure how well that would fly (no pun intended). I think audiences would go "Where's Superman? How come they didn't at least mention Superman?"

How would it be addressed that this was an alternate universe w/o the film addressing it as such or some sort of cross over? Otherwise it would just look like "Hey, we made a Superman movie, but made Superman female!"

Personally, if they ever wanted to make a Supergirl movie, I would suspect the most promising way to do it is to introduce her in a Superman movie and then have a spin-off (kind of like how they crafted the Electra movie - only hopefully with a higher quality product).

Speaking of which, I always wanted to see a Smallville episode with this sort of conceit, in which Clark somehow enters an alternative reality where a daughter of Jor-El and Lara came to Earth. Clark and his "sister" could then kick some butt together before the former went home.
That would probably be the best way to introduce Power Girl on Smallville if they wanted to.
Old June 21 2010, 05:23 AM   #24
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Otherwise it would just look like "Hey, we made a Superman movie, but made Superman female!"
Exactly.

They could introduce the concept in trailers, with a voiceover that explicitly states the "what-if" scenario. Then, they could have some throwaway in-joke line in the movie itself:

A female friend of Kara's: "Ever wonder what your life would be like if you'd been conceived as a boy?"
Kara: "Er, no... why do you ask?"
Friend: "Oh, nothing. Just one of those 'what-ifs' from my Brain Benders page-a-day calendar. Hey, look, back to the movie's plot again."

Personally, if they ever wanted to make a Supergirl movie, I would suspect the most promising way to do it is to introduce her in a Superman movie and then have a spin-off (kind of like how they crafted the Electra movie - only hopefully with a higher quality product).
But people would always wonder where Supes was, and why he can't help her, and if they do team up, well, one full-powered Kryptonian is strong enough, having two in one live-action movie would be even tougher to pull off. Same goes for Power Girl and basically any JLA featuring Supes.

Gaith wrote:
That would probably be the best way to introduce Power Girl on Smallville if they wanted to.
Post S3-Smallville is dead to me, so it's now a moot/retro-hypothetical point as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by Gaith; June 21 2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old June 21 2010, 06:28 AM   #25
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
i'd rather see a Batgirl or Huntress flick.

or even Black Canary...

or Power Girl...
Warner Bros has moratoriumed any future productions with a female lead. This after the WW DTDVD didn't sell well enough fast enough.

And yes, it is animated, but do you really expect they're gonna put even MORE money at risk for a LA version?

You don't see Marvel doing any female led LA super-movies either.

I DO think they might be able to get Supergirl in as a supporting character MAYBE if they get the core Superman franchise back off the ground, but it's a long shot.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 06:33 AM   #26
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Also I'm not quite sure how Super GIRL tarnishes Super MAN's thing as the Last SON of Krypton.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 06:43 AM   #27
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Also I'm not quite sure how Super GIRL tarnishes Super MAN's thing as the Last SON of Krypton.
Dilution of concept. At one point in the Silver Age, there was Superman, Supergirl, a Super dog, a Super cat, a whole bottle city of miniature Kryptonians (Kandor), and if memory serves even a Super horse. (and that's not counting all the villains in the Phantom Zone).

It's hard to play the "last of my kind" trope when, frankly, you AREN'T "the last".
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2010, 07:01 AM   #28
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^^ I'm not positive, but I think he was kidding.
Old June 21 2010, 07:11 AM   #29
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Otherwise it would just look like "Hey, we made a Superman movie, but made Superman female!"
Exactly.

They could introduce the concept in trailers, with a voiceover that explicitly states the "what-if" scenario. Then, they could have some throwaway in-joke line in the movie itself:

A female friend of Kara's: "Ever wonder what your life would be like if you'd been conceived as a boy?"
Kara: "Er, no... why do you ask?"
Friend: "Oh, nothing. Just one of those 'what-ifs' from my Brain Benders page-a-day calendar. Hey, look, back to the movie's plot again."
Sorry, still don't think it'll work. Your approach, while inherently okay, would look too much like a gimmick to average movie goers.

But people would always wonder where Supes was, and why he can't help her, and if they do team up, well, one full-powered Kryptonian is strong enough, having two in one live-action movie would be even tougher to pull off. Same goes for Power Girl and basically any JLA featuring Supes.
Having a line to explain why Supes can't help (as did the Helen Slater Supergirl movie did) would be much easier to pull off and more likely to be accepted by movie goers than having a needlessly complicated alternative universe (that isn't directly referred to as an Alt-Universe) scenario.

Post S3-Smallville is dead to me, so it's now a moot/retro-hypothetical point as far as I'm concerned.
Terrific. Doesn't mean that wouldn't be a good way to incorporate Power Girl on the show.
Old June 21 2010, 07:59 AM   #30
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Well, fair enough, I'll take a compliment.

I grant you that no major movie has tried a "what-if" scenario of the sort that I propose, although I'd argue that the modest success of The Incredible Hulk, rebooting the character so soon after Hulk, suggests that it could be feasible. It would certainly be interesting to see how the general public would react. Given all this Avengers business, they might speculate to no end about a crossover movie uniting the universes. But until a major "what-if" along these lines, there's really no way of knowing, imo.