Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old June 17 2010, 03:03 AM   #16
scnj
Captain

Re: Thinking about re-watching Voyager from start to finish.

Go for it. I did it recently, and I was ready to give up by the middle of season 7. I didn't realise how mediocre the last season is until watching it four episodes at a time.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 01:33 PM   #17
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

Season 7 was deficient in Janeway, due to stories which focused on Seven AND the EMH.

I really LIKE Seven and the EMH, but its Janeway that's my favorite and that made year 7 frequently a problem for me. Getting double Janeway's in Endgame was a poor substitute for her absence in much of the season.

An example of over focus on one supporting character (for me) is ST TNG's "Nemesis. I loved TNG, but I haven't seen Nemesis since the theater, even though I have it on dvd, because I couldn't take another Data heavy story. I even hated the ending, because it WASN'T the big emotional tear jerker like the end of Wrath of Khan since they already provided an alternate Data to "carry on".

Still, year 7 has some gems for me...the J/Queen scenes in "Unimatrix II", the J/7 and Torres/7 scenes in "Imperfection, the J/Tuvok scene in "Critical care", all of "Shattered" and "Workforce", Janeway against everyone in "The Void".

Gee, it "sounds" like she had a lot to do in 7, but we who've watched it know that a few scenes here and there do not satiate a true Janeway-aholic.
JanewayRulz! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 02:09 PM   #18
kimc
Coffee Mod

scnj wrote: View Post
Go for it. I did it recently, and I was ready to give up by the middle of season 7. I didn't realise how mediocre the last season is until watching it four episodes at a time.
I own all the seasons but have been unable to watch anything past the middle of Season 7 since it aired.

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 06:45 PM   #19
froot
Fleet Captain

kimc wrote: View Post
scnj wrote: View Post
I own all the seasons but have been unable to watch anything past the middle of Season 7 since it aired.
Agreed. I have seen very little past mid Season-7 since first airing. The only exceptions are "Endgame" and "Author, Author" I think, and even those were a while ago. And I won't really watch "Endgame' anymore.

Season 7 is a barren wasteland for the true Janeway-aholic; this is quite true!
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 07:03 PM   #20
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

I liked Renaissance Man", except that profession of love at the end to Seven.

I DID love that look from B'Elanna when she nonchalantly snatched him from the jaws of cyber oblivion and he had to come back and face the music.

I also loved Janeway telling him that on the holodeck there were only two rules. Leave your rank at the door... and NO opera!

Hallelujah!
Old June 18 2010, 12:02 AM   #21
scnj
Captain

To be fair, season seven has a few good episodes (Critical Care, Shattered, The Void and Author Author) but they're in a sea of pure mediocrity, which is hard to stomach after seasons 4-6 were so good.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2010, 10:20 AM   #22
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

JanewayRulz! wrote: View Post

An example of over focus on one supporting character (for me) is ST TNG's "Nemesis. I loved TNG, but I haven't seen Nemesis since the theater, even though I have it on dvd, because I couldn't take another Data heavy story. I even hated the ending, because it WASN'T the big emotional tear jerker like the end of Wrath of Khan since they already provided an alternate Data to "carry on".
But that one was retarded! They mothballed him!

I'll admit to being beyond meh over Data's sacrifice.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2010, 02:10 PM   #23
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Amasov wrote: View Post
kimc wrote: View Post
froot wrote: View Post
And shame. I think VOY Season 2 is pretty good. You know, besides that whole "Threshold" thing.
Season 2 has some excellent episodes including "Resistance", "Death Wish" and "Meld". If someone can get it for $2 well more power to them!
There are some winners in season two and I loved how it ended, but overall, I thought it was pretty bland. I loved it initially, but I didn't feel it held up in the long run.

And season three...

This isn't a bashing thread, after all. I consider seasons two and three to be the low points, but the show really picks up starting in season four all the way to the end.
Agreed.

However in retrospect, I do like season 2 & 3 for the character development of Tuvok, Be'Lanna and the Doc.
I don't think I would have appreciated those characters as much in the later years if it wasn't for s2&3.
Old June 18 2010, 03:38 PM   #24
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I like Season 7. I like Seven and the Doc and Janeway. I like them all.
Old June 18 2010, 10:27 PM   #25
JanewayRulz!
Vice Admiral

I am soooo out of synch, since I loved season 2 & 3. Yes, it had its share of "Spock's brain" type eps, but everything else made up for it.

The banter between Janeway and Chakotay on the way to the cargo bay near the end of "The 37's", and that hand on her shouder.

The banter at the end of "Projections" between the EMH and Kes.

Near the end of "Elogium", when Janeway "compliments" Chakotay..."Good work, Commander. In the future, if I have any questions about mating behaviour, I'll know where to go."

Watching Tom and Neelix tussle over the pasta and Kes, not to mention the look on Janeway's face when she "inspects" the two immediately after said tussle in "Partruition".

I liked all of "Persistence of Vison". It gave insights into many of our crews past (B' Elanna, Tom, Tuvok, Janeway) and into their possible futures/abilities (Kes, The EMH.)

Hey, I'd love to critique the rest of my season favs, but time waits for no-one. Later.