Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 31 2010, 12:06 AM   #16
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Re: "Revenant" Questions/Discussion - Spoiler Alert

No, it has nothing to do with Greater Than The Sum at all. Totally separate.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 12:07 AM   #17
Dancing Doctor
Admiral

Location: At the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound
View Dancing Doctor's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dancing Doctor

I feel bad, but I'm going to just ram through this entry in Seven Deadly Sins.

Loyal member of the Militant Janeway True Path Devotees
Dancing Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 12:54 AM   #18
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

ProtoAvatar wrote: View Post
It is certain that the group from 'Revenant' did not become standard borg - their behaviour is significantly different from the main collective's.

Of course, they did not remain "basically the same as they were, psychologically, only united in the mini-collective, without wanting to assimilate anyone further".
They still felt that hunger.

But it's also true that their main objective (which appears to be even above assimilation) - revenge - would be instantly qualified as 'irrelevant' by the main collective.
And their unusually pacifist behaviour from the end is further proof of their uniqueness.

In my opinion, making this mini-branch of the collective exhibit a behaviour different from the borg proper (perhaps more ambiguous, morally-wise, than the pitch-black borg) has much more potential - essentially, is more interesting - story-wise.
Well, they certainly are going to be different, but the question is how exactly. I will assume that whoever contracted Carson and planned the whole thing (possibly Section 31) was not a complete idiot, and that - if they actually planned to create the Borg they could use as a weapon - they had or thought they had some means to control them/use them, to an extent at least - which would mean making them different from the regular Borg, I presume. Which might not really work, but it would be interesting to see it clash with their desire for revenge... In any case, it would be great to see what happened with them later on.

I have a question about something I don't understand - who or what was it that attacked and assimilated Harlow? Was one of the Borg drones still alive - and if it was, why didn't we see it afterwards? The way it was depicted in the story, it seemed almost like it was the ship itself or some sort of mysterious force. But who/what was it, really?

CaseyF wrote: View Post
I also liked that Marc D. Giller used Locarno, although I sort of was hoping he wouldn't even have mention the events of "First Duty" directly, just to be even more subtle with his inclusion.
I disagree. Trek lit writers should not assume they write for the audience that already has the knowledge about the canon background from the TV shows and movies, even if that's the case for the majority of the readers. Any literary work should be able to stand on its own. The story should be understood by a potential reader who hasn't seen the episodes where the characters originated from (in this case, TNG "First Duty") or doesn't remember them anymore, rather than just the people who have re-watched every Trek show several times or regularly visit Memory Alpha and Memory Beta.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 03:06 AM   #19
CaseyF
Lieutenant Junior Grade

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
I disagree. Trek lit writers should not assume they write for the audience that already has the knowledge about the canon background from the TV shows and movies, even if that's the case for the majority of the readers. Any literary work should be able to stand on its own. The story should be understood by a potential reader who hasn't seen the episodes where the characters originated from (in this case, TNG "First Duty") or doesn't remember them anymore, rather than just the people who have re-watched every Trek show several times or regularly visit Memory Alpha and Memory Beta.
I agree with your general point, but I don't think an understanding of this story relied upon knowing Locarno's backstory. It adds an understanding of where his character is coming from, which can add depth to the story. But whether this story stands on its own doesn't depend on a reader's knowledge of the events of "First Duty." Or if somehow it does and I'm failing to recognize it, I still was hoping as I read that this would be an instance where a one-off character was being used without the writer spelling out the events of his life that transpired in the one episode we originally saw him in. More like an Easter egg for those who recognize the character, but not one that diminishes the enjoyment and understanding of the story for those who don't know Locarno was in an ep of TNG. I don't know. Not that big a deal in my enjoyment of the story - just something I thought as I was reading it.

Last edited by CaseyF; May 31 2010 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Because sometimes I have issues with the quote function . . .
CaseyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 06:16 AM   #20
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

which is why Thayer only wanted to kill Carson and didn't want to assimilate her
Thayer? Any relation to...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2010, 03:52 PM   #21
CaseyF
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
which is why Thayer only wanted to kill Carson and didn't want to assimilate her
Thayer? Any relation to...
From what I can recall of Revenant, I don't think there was any particular indication of a relation between the two.

Last edited by CaseyF; June 1 2010 at 04:14 PM.
CaseyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 07:17 PM   #22
marcusgee
Ensign

Hi, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed my contribution to the Seven Deadly Sins. You certainly hit it on the head when you describe it as a horror story--that's exactly the vibe I was going for, and I'm happy that came through.

In answer to some of the questions, "Revenant" isn't directly tied to any other TREK lit. Marco Palmieri did send me an outline of DESTINY so that I could keep the story current with that series, but that was about it.

As to who snagged Harlow down in the hellhole, that was actually Carson. As she hinted later when she got caught, she needed to accelerate assimilation of the crew before Starfleet got there.

And about ending--I deliberately kept that a little vague because I saw a real possibility in continuing the storyline, if Pocket chooses to do so. The idea of a rampaging new Borg species tearing up the galaxy seeking revenge was too juicy to resist. If you like that idea too, drop a line to Pocket or post around and let the editors know. It would be loads of fun to expand the idea into a full-length novel.

Cheers!
marcusgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2010, 08:14 PM   #23
JD
Admiral

Hey, welcome! It's always nice to get a new author posting here.
Old June 13 2010, 09:58 PM   #24
marcusgee
Ensign

Thanks! It's nice to be part of the gang!
Old June 13 2010, 10:15 PM   #25
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

To be honest, I'm a little Borged out after all the Borg stories in the TNG series and Destiny lately, but I loved your writing style and the different take on Trek. Star Wars has been doing horror novels lately; I'd certainly be interested in reading a full-length novel of yours with a similar tone. I'm just not so sure that I'd go for Borg again.

Definitely nice to have you posting though. Welcome
Old June 13 2010, 10:35 PM   #26
marcusgee
Ensign

Yeah, Marco had that in mind when he signed me on to write the Borg story (I believe he said that VOYAGER had "done them to death" or something to that effect). That was why I took a different approach, going for the whole dread feeling rather than an epic space opera with big battles, etc.

Glad you enjoyed the writing style, though. I have a couple of original sci-fi noirs, if you want to check those out. The first is HAMMERJACK, and there's a sequel called PRODIGAL--both are pretty dark, which is pretty de rigueur for me (God knows why--I'm such a happy guy!).
Old June 14 2010, 12:04 AM   #27
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Huh, interesting. I may add those to my summer reading list. Cool.
Old June 16 2010, 06:24 PM   #28
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

marcusgee wrote: View Post
Hi, guys! I'm glad you enjoyed my contribution to the Seven Deadly Sins. You certainly hit it on the head when you describe it as a horror story--that's exactly the vibe I was going for, and I'm happy that came through.

In answer to some of the questions, "Revenant" isn't directly tied to any other TREK lit. Marco Palmieri did send me an outline of DESTINY so that I could keep the story current with that series, but that was about it.

As to who snagged Harlow down in the hellhole, that was actually Carson. As she hinted later when she got caught, she needed to accelerate assimilation of the crew before Starfleet got there.

And about ending--I deliberately kept that a little vague because I saw a real possibility in continuing the storyline, if Pocket chooses to do so. The idea of a rampaging new Borg species tearing up the galaxy seeking revenge was too juicy to resist. If you like that idea too, drop a line to Pocket or post around and let the editors know. It would be loads of fun to expand the idea into a full-length novel.

Cheers!
Cheers! I'd love to read a sequel to the story.

So it was Carson - that's the only thing that made rational sense, come to think of it, I guess I was just fooled by the way it was described in the scene, where it seemed like he was snatched by some almost faceless force. Well, that certainly makes Carson even more hateful, particularly with the way she did it, gouging his eyes - it was the nastiest scene in the story. Kind of ironic, when you think about it, that in a horror story about the Borg, the creepiest and most hateful person is a non-Borg Human!

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 10:32 PM   #29
marcusgee
Ensign

Well, that certainly makes Carson even more hateful, particularly with the way she did it, gouging his eyes - it was the nastiest scene in the story.
To be honest, I'm surprised they let me get away with that! Guess you never know until you try...