Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old June 14 2010, 06:18 AM   #1
SRFX
Captain

Thinking about re-watching Voyager from start to finish.

I have been thinking lately that I would like to watch through Voyager from start to finish, mainly as a way of re-evaluating the series and my stance on it.

Would there be there any interest in my episode-by-episode evaluations here? I'd be doing this anyway for my own reference, but I could post them in a thread if people are curious. Or did TheGodBen do this all too recently?

Keep in mind, this wouldn't be a bash-fest (not from me anyway). I genuinely want to re-familiarise myself with the series and work out where I stand on it - lover, hater or somewhere in between?

Discussion and debate would of course be welcome.

Last edited by SRFX; June 14 2010 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Fixed typo in second paragraph.
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 06:31 AM   #2
vas2009
Captain

Re: Thinking about re-watching Voyager from start to finish.

Absolutly! It would be nice to talk about each episode after a fresh veiwing. I myself watched some of season one this evening as a refresher of sorts

I look forward to your coments assuming they are well thought out.
Old June 14 2010, 06:35 AM   #3
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Go ahead and do it. I will be rewatching it from Caretaker to Endgame starting this week some time. Probably be slow about it because I'm watching it with someone else but I would be happy to have a thread. I've rewatched it several times from the beginning but I haven't watched it since running through DS9, ENT, TOS, TAS and Bab5 so it's been a while now. Looking forward to it greatly.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 08:57 PM   #4
Jeri
Vice Admiral

Coming back from vacation on a plane this past week, I watched an iPod version of Caretaker that I digitized from our DVD's, and it was a great way to pass the time. So I'm jazzed now to start watching the whole series again, too.
Old June 15 2010, 12:00 AM   #5
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Go ahead. There's very little episode-specific discussion on the forum right now, so it would be a welcome change.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 12:00 AM   #6
Smiley
Rear Admiral

Go ahead. There's very little episode-specific discussion on the forum right now, so it would be a welcome change.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 04:05 AM   #7
SRFX
Captain

Alrighty, well I've made a start already. Once I've gathered my thoughts for the first few episodes I'll start a new thread.
SRFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 07:32 AM   #8
Destructor
Commodore

Hmmm. I recently watched all of TNG and DS9 with my gf and the subject of Voyager came up. I said, and I say this of Voyager often: "It has some of the best Star Trek episodes in it, but you have to wade through so many mediocre ones to get to them it's almost not worth it." A lot of her female friends recommend Voyager as their favourite (girls seem to like Voyager for some reason?) so she has expressed interest in it, but she also complained a lot about how little continuity there was in TNG (and enjoyed the continuity of DS9) so from that perspective she would probably not enjoy the complete lack of continuity in Voyager. I basically think if I buy S1 on DVD, she'll watch it, but if I don't, she won't. I wouldn't mind revisiting the characters, who I had a lot of affection for.

What do you think?
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 08:42 AM   #9
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I've been rewatching the series, and I'm currently at Innocence. Unfortunately, I hate that episode, so I'm not really in any hurry to see it, but then The Thaw comes up next and I like that one. I've actually been thinking about Enterprise lately (Haven't seen it in a long long while) but I only have season 4. Would love to get The Expanse and Season 3 somehow without actually purchasing it. Wish they were available for instant viewing on Netflix.
Old June 16 2010, 02:06 PM   #10
kimc
Coffee Mod

Destructor wrote: View Post
Hmmm. I recently watched all of TNG and DS9 with my gf and the subject of Voyager came up. I said, and I say this of Voyager often: "It has some of the best Star Trek episodes in it, but you have to wade through so many mediocre ones to get to them it's almost not worth it." A lot of her female friends recommend Voyager as their favourite (girls seem to like Voyager for some reason?) so she has expressed interest in it, but she also complained a lot about how little continuity there was in TNG (and enjoyed the continuity of DS9) so from that perspective she would probably not enjoy the complete lack of continuity in Voyager. I basically think if I buy S1 on DVD, she'll watch it, but if I don't, she won't. I wouldn't mind revisiting the characters, who I had a lot of affection for.

What do you think?
I think make a big old bowl of popcorn, cuddle up together on the couch and enjoy!

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 04:44 PM   #11
Mareika
Commander

Destructor wrote: View Post
What do you think?
You should start with "Resolutions". I know many girls who became Voyagerfans after watching this episode.
Mareika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Amasov
Rear Admiral

I plan to do that soon too!

You guys might appreciate this story.

I mentioned it in the DS9 forum. I have a fantastic store here in town, a UK-based store called CEX which sells used DVDs/games/iPods, etc. I love this place. I go in there all the time.

So yesterday, I saw they had every season of Voyager available, but all at different prices. Now I don't have the full collection yet, but I grabbed season four for $30. I'm now only missing season two and three, so I hid them so no one else would find them.

Anyway, I noticed that all the seasons are different prices. Season four was the most expensive, again, $30, but I saw that season one was $18, season two was $23 and season three was $29. So I asked one of the girls that worked there, I said, "Why are these priced differently?"

She said, and I swear I'm not making this up, "Oh, it's just the quality of it." I said, "You mean the condition of the sets themselves? (because they were in near-mint condition)" She said, "No, the show itself." I just lifted an eyebrow and said, "So, you're charging $30 for this season [four] because you guys think it's the best one?" She sort of smirked and said, "Well, yes."

To which I said, "Then you should be charging me two dollars for season two and three!"

Once I get those - for two dollars each, I hope - then I will watch it from start to finish.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 11:34 PM   #13
froot
Fleet Captain

Amasov wrote: View Post
I plan to do that soon too!

You guys might appreciate this story.

I mentioned it in the DS9 forum. I have a fantastic store here in town, a UK-based store called CEX which sells used DVDs/games/iPods, etc. I love this place. I go in there all the time.

So yesterday, I saw they had every season of Voyager available, but all at different prices. Now I don't have the full collection yet, but I grabbed season four for $30. I'm now only missing season two and three, so I hid them so no one else would find them.

Anyway, I noticed that all the seasons are different prices. Season four was the most expensive, again, $30, but I saw that season one was $18, season two was $23 and season three was $29. So I asked one of the girls that worked there, I said, "Why are these priced differently?"

She said, and I swear I'm not making this up, "Oh, it's just the quality of it." I said, "You mean the condition of the sets themselves? (because they were in near-mint condition)" She said, "No, the show itself." I just lifted an eyebrow and said, "So, you're charging $30 for this season [four] because you guys think it's the best one?" She sort of smirked and said, "Well, yes."

To which I said, "Then you should be charging me two dollars for season two and three!"

Once I get those - for two dollars each, I hope - then I will watch it from start to finish.
Funny story! I collect Sailor Moon stuff, and a used book/DVD store where I live was doing the same exact thing with their pricing. They priced the used Sailor Moon DVDs based on how popular the episodes were! One of the DVDs I was missing had some of the most well-known episodes of the show, and I had to fork over $50 for it! And it only contained like 5 episodes...

And shame. I think VOY Season 2 is pretty good. You know, besides that whole "Threshold" thing.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 01:35 AM   #14
kimc
Coffee Mod

froot wrote: View Post
And shame. I think VOY Season 2 is pretty good. You know, besides that whole "Threshold" thing.
Season 2 has some excellent episodes including "Resistance", "Death Wish" and "Meld". If someone can get it for $2 well more power to them!

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2010, 02:16 AM   #15
Amasov
Rear Admiral

kimc wrote: View Post
froot wrote: View Post
Season 2 has some excellent episodes including "Resistance", "Death Wish" and "Meld". If someone can get it for $2 well more power to them!
There are some winners in season two and I loved how it ended, but overall, I thought it was pretty bland. I loved it initially, but I didn't feel it held up in the long run.

And season three...

This isn't a bashing thread, after all. I consider seasons two and three to be the low points, but the show really picks up starting in season four all the way to the end.
Amasov is offline   Reply With Quote