TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old June 14 2010, 07:19 AM   #151
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

blssdwlf wrote: View Post

And then (a head scratcher) in "Day of the Dove" the mysterious entity is seen floating in the balcony area where the red ladder is. But the entire time it is there, all the characters are looking over by the wall above the antimatter bypass room! I just might fit another balcony on that side just to see how it would look...

Right now I'm trying to figure out where the Elaan and Scotty were when looking at what I assume is part of the deflector shield system and hoping it doesn't end up under the EMM
Got a screencap? I'm curious. (The Elaan and Scotty/ deflector shield reference)

Also, maybe since the entity could alter people's thoughts and perceptions, maybe it made them think it was where they were looking, while it made it's escape on the opposite direction!
Solves the issue of putting a second stepway where the "office" etc is located in other episodes.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 04:01 PM   #152
blssdwlf
Commodore

@CRA - sure But as wildstar mentioned and as a disclaimer that my renderings are still subject to human error

wildstar wrote: View Post
Got a screencap? I'm curious. (The Elaan and Scotty/ deflector shield reference)
Sure. I'm assuming it is a shield device as Scotty plugs the cloaking device into the shield system in "The Enterprise Incident". They aren't exactly in the same location between episodes though. In "Elaan" the device seems to be closer to the EMM wall and in "Incident" it is more in the open area between the dilithium floor energizer and the EMM.

Also, maybe since the entity could alter people's thoughts and perceptions, maybe it made them think it was where they were looking, while it made it's escape on the opposite direction!
Solves the issue of putting a second stepway where the "office" etc is located in other episodes.
That is possible. As you can see, the entity was shown in the balcony area as it leaves but yeah they weren't consistent in it's location. (It might have been floating around to keep an eye on Kirk though ) From where the people looked, the balcony was either on the forward wall near the EMM or sometimes over by the EMM near the back wall. The majority of the sequence suggests the forward wall. I'd have to watch it again to see if there is a direct link though.

@Mytran - I can see if I've got room to move it higher. Because we see the ladder, I'm inclined to keep it at the same height as the regular balcony though

blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 06:17 PM   #153
I-Am-Zim
Captain

This is by no means definite, but just wanted to post up a WIP to better illustrate my previous post

You can also see the corridor from the 1st ladder leading to the back ladder going to the EMM.

Just out of curiosity, those power transfer conduits(?) at the back are supposed to be equal length/height, aren't they? They were depicted that way as a "forced perspective to give the illusion of more depth. I really don't think they are actually supposed to look like that.
I-Am-Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 06:38 PM   #154
blssdwlf
Commodore

@I-Am-Zim - Well, yes and no I'm going more for an "as seen on TV" look and incorporating designer's intent only where possible. The short story is that I couldn't get that power pipes section to match up because they shot the engine room from many more angles than what the forced perspective probably intended.

There are a couple of other reasons as well to go with the forced-perspective version for this project as well and you can see what I mean by reading pages 3 and 4 of this thread (if you have the time.)

Of course, this is not the only way to do it. It just happens to fit what I'm trying to do ("What would the Thermians do? )

Last edited by blssdwlf; June 14 2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old June 14 2010, 07:07 PM   #155
I-Am-Zim
Captain

@I-Am-Zim - Well, yes and no I'm going more for an "as seen on TV" look and incorporating designer's intent only where possible. The short story is that I couldn't get that power pipes section to match up because they shot the camera room from many more angles than what the forced perspective probably intended.

There are a couple of other reasons as well to go with the forced-perspective version for this project as well and you can see what I mean by reading pages 3 and 4 of this thread (if you have the time.)

Of course, this is not the only way to do it. It just happens to fit what I'm trying to do ("What would the Thermians do? )
Ah. I see. This is some absolutely fantastic work! Although I don't quite agree with the engineering section being placed in the primary hull, it's still awesome! I wish I had the time, software, and skill to do something like this. Keep up the good work!
I-Am-Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 07:17 PM   #156
Mytran
Fleet Captain

...since the entity could alter people's thoughts and perceptions, maybe it made them think it was where they were looking, while it made it's escape on the opposite direction!
I arrived at a similar solution when I did my mk1 plans a few years back. Basically, I figured that the entity was shining a really bright light onto the wall from it's vantage point by the steps and that's what our heroes were looking at. Lame? Certainly. But it solved the problem for me at the time.

However, maybe the entity can project an image of itself from one location into another, like a defensive camoflage ability? There's actually another example of this in the episode, when Kirk first spots it in the corridor:

One minute, the entity is seen at the struts of a concentric corridor:
(click for larger size)

The next, it's resting by a corridor junction! (that 9" vertical pole is a dead giveaway)
(click for larger size)

If one is a projection, problem solved!

So we (the viewer) never actually see what Kirk and Spock are looking at. Actually I think the entity's projection is hovering in the middle of Engineering, right next to the ceiling. This would also explain why Kirk and Spock appears to be starring in different directions (or else the projection moved).

Finally, my theory is also a great argument for Engineering not being in the secondary hull, cos it was only an illusion we saw leaving the ship at that point!
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 10:23 PM   #157
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Hmmm. lotsa nifty room layouts to pinch...
Feel free to do your own research in the episodes yourself as well. Our work could be erroneous.
Oh, I do, but my computer graphics capabilities are limited, so I'm always on the lookout for useful starting points.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16 2010, 05:32 PM   #158
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Mytran - that's a possibility although after rewatching it looks to me like the entity just moved around alot off-screen

From what I can tell, they see the entity down the hallway (as in the screenshot) and walk a little further towards it.

In the dialogue, Kirk and Spock seem to be looking much further down the hallway which happens to correspond to the corridor junction when we see the entity next.

When Kirk walks away to contact Kang, his motion seems to indicate he is actually going down the left hall (which seems to reinforce that the entity relocated to the juncture after the first screenshot).

So far it seems like the entity just moves around alot but they didn't have the fx budget to film all of it

On a different note, I re-did the hangar complex in low-poly to match up with 9' decks (I opted for those instead of 10' decks.) It's also a WIP. This way I can see how much room I have for the engineering machinery and M/AM reactor, etc.

I've included the hallways seen in the series and a test render from the flight deck. I ended up making the observation structures larger to fit "The Conscience of the King" deck and the shuttle is scaled at a larger 24' instead of the filmed approx 20' version.

Old June 16 2010, 08:46 PM   #159
Mytran
Fleet Captain

That's some fine work! (as always). Although you've scaled up the shuttle it looks like you've kept the shuttlebay the same size, am I right?

Good placement of the Battlefield corridor to allow for the wonky wall. I can't see the Doomsday corridor though, with its distinctive "briefing lounge" struts - or is that just somewhere else on the deck? We never see Decker actually enter the shuttebay after all, just climb down to the "Hangar Deck"

I'm please to see that there's space for fuel/energy conduits to be connected to the pylons - space was getting a bit tight up there but I'm glad there is room after all.

From what I can tell, they see the entity down the hallway (as in the screenshot) and walk a little further towards it.

In the dialogue, Kirk and Spock seem to be looking much further down the hallway which happens to correspond to the corridor junction when we see the entity next.

When Kirk walks away to contact Kang, his motion seems to indicate he is actually going down the left hall (which seems to reinforce that the entity relocated to the juncture after the first screenshot).
Putting is all together to make sense is tricky, as that episode (and a lot of the 3rd season eps) makes extensive use of "mirrored" corridor shots, often with bizzare results. DOTD isn't too bad, it just means that there's an awful lot of triangular ladders in that section of the ship!

Old June 17 2010, 08:42 AM   #160
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Throwing my 2 cents in again. If you watch how Kirk and the girl in "Conscience..." walk into the observation corridor, they come in from the side, so I ended up doing this with the layout:

Those half circle grey things near the outer hull are single person lifts, just like the ones on the refit in engineering BTW.
I could never figure out what that red "pole" is behind Kirk, if it was really a fireman type pole or a trick of the coloured lighting.
Old June 17 2010, 01:56 PM   #161
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Mytran - thanks

Here are hopefully some better views as to where I put the Doomsday Machine entrance (basically 1 deck above Journey to Babel). The flight deck ended up the same length the first time I tried it but now tapered (like the forced-perspective deck). I've shortened the length of the hangar deck though to see if I can make some more room and added a cargo entrance for the flight deck's front wall following the idea from TMP

@Wildstar - That red pole is a divider for a red screen wall. You can see it better in the HD version. Interestingly, the wall angle behind it matches better with the corridor angle aligned with a tapered flight deck.

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...ekinghd193.jpg
Old June 18 2010, 12:21 AM   #162
wildstar
Lieutenant Commander

Oh, very nice catch!
Kinda glad that I missed that actually and thought it was a red pole that I decided to ignore as I've always regarded those red screens as protective screens, blocking radiation or in the event of an explosion or something. No idea how to explain a red screen in the middle of a hallway going to an observation deck would be.

If you're able to UV map textures to your model and output as FBX, they can be brought into Unity engine and let people walk around them. Could even light in LW, then output lightmaps. It would look amazing. If you're interested in trying that out, let me know.

Excellent work again, btw!

PS, good luck getting the external windows in that obs corridor to match the outside of the ship where there's windows!
Old June 18 2010, 07:17 AM   #163
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Maybe the observation deck windows are normally behind shutters? In any case, it's the side of the ship we never see, so anything is possible!

Seeing as you're back on the shuttlebay blssdwlf, I may as well mention this oddity I spotted in Battlefield - the turbolift isn't a a turbolift!

Let me explain:

Kirk and Spock board the turbolift on the bridge - the carpet is green. They exit - it's blue! Also, the wall is far thicker than it should be for a turbolift. Something strange certainly happened on route from the bridge!

Of course, the production crew simply glued a "Turbolift 2" label above the briefing room door and hoped nobody would notice . So as I see it, there's two options:

1) Ignore it as a production error/shortcut
2) Interpret it to mean that Kirk exits from a turbolift lobby rather than the lift itself. Perhaps a sort of additional safety feature, in the case of decompression?

Since these are your ship plans, I'm not going to advocate one over the other - either can work, depending on how literally you interpret what's on screen!

Having said all that, I think your positioning of the Battlefield corridor is spot on, even justifying that wierd angle of the end wall! Also good placement of the cargo bay (essential really, given the lack of cargo bay doors on the ship!)

I've seen some plans of the E that have that large red rectangle on the secondary hull as cargo doors - have you given any thought as what to do with it on your ship?
Old June 18 2010, 03:19 PM   #164
blssdwlf
Commodore

@wildstar - Thanks I do have Unity3d downloaded on my computer but just haven't had time to play with it yet. The demos are pretty cool though. When I get to a point with this model where I think it could go to Unity I'll give it a go

As to the obs windows, I've decided to "add" those two square windows to the exterior.

@Mytran - Good eyes! I couldn't place why that turbolift exit felt odd but the close-ups explain it

I'm going to opt for it to be a turbolift since there are no other episodes (AFAIK) to suggest differently. Keeping it simple

As to thinking about the red rectangle's purpose...

I originally thought about using the markings on the bottom of the engineering hull as guides for:
Circle - the M/AM reactor,
T-shape - AM fuel ejection,
Square - M/AM refueling ports,
Rectangle - extendable sensor antenna
and Red Rectangle - workbee hatch/pass-through to hangar

Some of these ideas stemmed from other blueprints and ideas I've read over the years. I had hoped that after piecing the interiors together, that they would line up with the exterior

Alas, only some align up and I discovered that the movie Enterprise also has similar markings. But upon further inspection it became apparent to me that they couldn't serve the same functions that I was thinking about and I chucked those ideas...

So, back to the red rectangle. Interestingly, it is right behind the hangar with no overlap and can be it's own compartment. I am now thinking it could be for a hatch to open and deploy emergency markers, towed sensor array, etc or an attachment point for a trailing boom with an ion pod at the end of it
Old June 18 2010, 06:40 PM   #165
Mytran
Fleet Captain

I'm going to opt for it to be a turbolift since there are no other episodes (AFAIK) to suggest differently. Keeping it simple
Fair enough. The "Turbolift 2" label appears there in a few different episodes in Season 3 but Battlefield is the only one where the doors open (they do it again towards the end of the ep as well, when Bele and Lokai begin their chase)

I originally thought about using the markings on the bottom of the engineering hull as guides for:
Circle - the M/AM reactor,
T-shape - AM fuel ejection,
Square - M/AM refueling ports,
Rectangle - extendable sensor antenna
and Red Rectangle - workbee hatch/pass-through to hangar

Some of these ideas stemmed from other blueprints and ideas I've read over the years. I had hoped that after piecing the interiors together, that they would line up with the exterior

Alas, only some align up and I discovered that the movie Enterprise also has similar markings. But upon further inspection it became apparent to me that they couldn't serve the same functions that I was thinking about and I chucked those ideas...
You mean these markings?

They were only added to the Enterprise-A (of which we saw precious little of the interior). Have a look at TMP and there's not a marking to be seen. Captain Robert April began a project a while ago to incorporate these hatch markings into a functional layout for the E-A, but it seems to be on hiatus at the moment.

So, back to the red rectangle. Interestingly, it is right behind the hangar with no overlap and can be it's own compartment. I am now thinking it could be for a hatch to open and deploy emergency markers, towed sensor array, etc or an attachment point for a trailing boom with an ion pod at the end of it
I'm not 100%, but it seems that the red rectangle would cut accross two sections, here:

Am I close?