RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,397
Members: 24,627
Currently online: 496
Newest member: space2050

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 10 2010, 03:21 AM   #16
Destructor
Commodore

Re: TNG remastered in HD? It CAN be done.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
This isn't like TOS, which only had three seasons to work with. TNG had seven. It would take years to remaster the whole thing for HD. I highly doubt this would bring in more profit than they'd spend on doing it.
I dunno, TNG DVD sets sell pretty well. I'm sure someone is crunching the numbers on it.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2010, 03:28 AM   #17
Harvey
Admiral

Remember, all special effects would have to be redone from scratch. That, coupled with re-editing the existing film elements, all adds up to a TON of money.
I don't think all the effects would have to be redone from scratch, unless they wanted to create entirely new effects. Since many of the effects used film elements, these could simply be recomposited rather than recreated from scratch.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2010, 03:39 AM   #18
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Destructor wrote: View Post
This isn't like TOS, which only had three seasons to work with. TNG had seven. It would take years to remaster the whole thing for HD. I highly doubt this would bring in more profit than they'd spend on doing it.
I dunno, TNG DVD sets sell pretty well.
Still?

I'm sure someone is crunching the numbers on it.
Remastering seven seasons' worth of episodes would cost millions. Would the resulting revenue (from things like Blu-Ray releases) bring in enough to cover that? I'm not optimistic...

Harvey wrote: View Post
many of the effects used film elements, these could simply be recomposited rather than recreated from scratch.
Really? I thought all effects for TNG (and DS9 and VOY) were done on videotape only.
Old June 10 2010, 04:33 AM   #19
milo bloom
Fleet Captain

many of the effects used film elements, these could simply be recomposited rather than recreated from scratch.
Really? I thought all effects for TNG (and DS9 and VOY) were done on videotape only.
The actual FX shots, like filming the models and such would have been done on film, but then composited and edited on tape. The original FX shots likely still exist on film, but would have to be put back together in a higher resolution format. This is discussed upthread; it can be done, it's just a cost/benefit issue at this point.
Old June 10 2010, 04:59 PM   #20
RAMA
Vice Admiral

There may not be a market for new films...but I can imagine a big ad campaign pushing the newly remastered, new FX STNG! Yes, ST fans WILLL buy them and watch them in syndication. If they sell it to a network they could make HUNDREDs of MILLIONS. If it costs $ 50 million to "remaster" and they make $300-400 million out of it (as ST shows have before) I'd say its a pretty good deal. So YES there is a way to make money from old STNG!

RAMA
Old June 10 2010, 05:30 PM   #21
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Remember, all special effects would have to be redone from scratch. That, coupled with re-editing the existing film elements, all adds up to a TON of money.
I don't think all the effects would have to be redone from scratch, unless they wanted to create entirely new effects. Since many of the effects used film elements, these could simply be recomposited rather than recreated from scratch.
Which I presume they did in Generations when using the two or three TV stock shots on the big screen (specifically an Enterprise overhead flyby shot and the beginning of the saucer separation sequence, both of which were originally filmed back in 1987 for "Encounter at Farpoint.")
Old June 10 2010, 06:19 PM   #22
HarryM
Fleet Captain

They could try it out with "Best of Both Worlds" 1 and 2 as a special Blu-Ray release. I would buy that.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2010, 06:41 PM   #23
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: TNG remastered

HarryM wrote: View Post
They could try it out with "Best of Both Worlds" 1 and 2 as a special Blu-Ray release. I would buy that.
I suggested:
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
similar to the idea of Star Trek TOS "The Menagerie" being in cinemas in 2007 for two nights would you be willing to pay to see "Encounter at Farpoint" (pilot) in cinemas after a HD restoration with new visual effects?

CBS Home Entertainment could guage fan interest in a TNG-R by doing a limited engagement cinema screening of 2 or 3 days which the tickets would help pay for a TNG-R of the best episodes for a Blu-ray release.

Which would you rather see in the cinema if you had a choice of only these two episodes for TNG-R:
"Encounter at Farpoint" (pilot)
"The Best of Both Worlds" (part 1&2)

also see this thread:
Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 shown..
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2010, 07:37 PM   #24
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: TNG remastered

HarryM wrote: View Post
I suggested:
similar to the idea of Star Trek TOS "The Menagerie" being in cinemas in 2007 for two nights would you be willing to pay to see "Encounter at Farpoint" (pilot) in cinemas after a HD restoration with new visual effects?

CBS Home Entertainment could guage fan interest in a TNG-R by doing a limited engagement cinema screening of 2 or 3 days which the tickets would help pay for a TNG-R of the best episodes for a Blu-ray release.

Which would you rather see in the cinema if you had a choice of only these two episodes for TNG-R:
"Encounter at Farpoint" (pilot)
"The Best of Both Worlds" (part 1&2)

also see this thread:
Best of Both Worlds Remastered ; Battle of Wolf 359 shown..

YES!
Old June 11 2010, 09:10 AM   #25
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it, we have the technology.
Old June 12 2010, 04:36 AM   #26
The Fatman
Captain

Send a message via AIM to The Fatman

If there was enough change and added/improved content, I would be happy to pay to see BOBW theatrically.
The Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2010, 04:55 AM   #27
Harvey
Admiral

I wouldn't want to see "Encounter at Farpoint" theatrically--it's just not that good of an episode. Better to go with a superior installment, like "The Best of Both Worlds" or "All Good Things..."

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2010, 06:04 AM   #28
darkwing_duck1
Vice Admiral

Foley0402 wrote: View Post
If there was enough change and added/improved content, I would be happy to pay to see BOBW theatrically.
Count me in! (assuming I had the money)

The real question isn't technical but "political".

CBS/Paramount are flogging "nu Trek" which is based on TOS, not TNG, et al. I'm thinking all their efforts are going down that road at this point.
darkwing_duck1 is offline   Reply With Quote