Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 11 2010, 07:15 PM   #31
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek was completely shut out at the MTV Movie Awards!

Joeman wrote: View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the less anything that I like is associated with MTV, the better. That channel has been a joke for a long time, and I even have it deleted from my channel list. Their opinions mean nothing to me.
Wow, way to take life too seriously.
MvRojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2010, 09:03 PM   #32
Joeman
Captain

MvRojo wrote: View Post
As far as I'm concerned, the less anything that I like is associated with MTV, the better. That channel has been a joke for a long time, and I even have it deleted from my channel list. Their opinions mean nothing to me.
Having a strong opinion is taking life way too seriously? Have you watched the shows on that channel? If you like them, more power to you, but I think it's the worst channel on television (and there are a lot of bad ones out there).

Based on their programming decisions, I certainly don't trust them to determine what constitutes a good movie. MTV having a movie awards show is like The Food Network having a music awards show. No credibility there.

If voicing that opinion is "taking life way too seriously", then I guess I'm guilty. Enjoy your MTV.
Old June 11 2010, 09:14 PM   #33
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

Having a strong opinion is taking life way too seriously? Have you watched the shows on that channel? If you like them, more power to you, but I think it's the worst channel on television (and there are a lot of bad ones out there).

Based on their programming decisions, I certainly don't trust them to determine what constitutes a good movie. MTV having a movie awards show is like The Food Network having a music awards show. No credibility there.

If voicing that opinion is "taking life way too seriously", then I guess I'm guilty. Enjoy your MTV.
I'm just saying that the fact you get mad at something for not liking what you like is sad. The MTV Movie Awards has and always will be an entertainment show, not an awards show. Why would you let anything determine what constitutes a good movie to you (and that includes the Oscars)? They're all opinion polls with their own discrete voting groups.
Old June 11 2010, 09:36 PM   #34
Joeman
Captain

I'm just saying that the fact you get mad at something for not liking what you like is sad. The MTV Movie Awards has and always will be an entertainment show, not an awards show. Why would you let anything determine what constitutes a good movie to you (and that includes the Oscars)? They're all opinion polls with their own discrete voting groups.
I simply made the point that I do not like or watch MTV, therefor them overlooking ST09 doesn't bother me. I didn't say I was mad at anyone. It was your "way to take life too seriously" comment that had me puzzled and a bit fired up (briefly), mainly because I just didn't understand where you were coming from with that.

I watched and loved MTV in the '80s, and I think that what the channel has become since then is nothing short of embarrassing. I doubt I'm the only one in my age group who feels that way.

Of course I wouldn't let anything determine what's a good movie to me, including the Oscars (which I also do not watch). The bottom line is that I can't stand MTV, so why would I care what their movie opinions are? I don't see how that's "sad" or misguided or whatever. It's simply my opinion.
Old June 11 2010, 10:00 PM   #35
MvRojo
Vice Admiral

I simply made the point that I do not like or watch MTV, therefor them overlooking ST09 doesn't bother me. I didn't say I was mad at anyone. It was your "way to take life too seriously" comment that had me puzzled and a bit fired up (briefly), mainly because I just didn't understand where you were coming from with that.

I watched and loved MTV in the '80s, and I think that what the channel has become since then is nothing short of embarrassing. I doubt I'm the only one in my age group who feels that way.

Of course I wouldn't let anything determine what's a good movie to me, including the Oscars (which I also do not watch). The bottom line is that I can't stand MTV, so why would I care what their movie opinions are? I don't see how that's "sad" or misguided or whatever. It's simply my opinion.
Yeah, sorry about that. We both agree that their programming generally sucks. It's why they are just "MTV" now and it doesn't stand for Music Television anymore.
Old June 11 2010, 10:44 PM   #36
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Ryan8bit wrote: View Post
See, what you're partly getting at is that there can be some sort of objective truth when it comes to opinions...
No. I'm really, really not.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2010, 10:52 PM   #37
Joeman
Captain

Yeah, sorry about that. We both agree that their programming generally sucks. It's why they are just "MTV" now and it doesn't stand for Music Television anymore.
They really should rename it completely.

I will give them the fact that in the past they did at least recognize a lot of movies that I love that the Oscars would never even admit existed. But like I said, I haven't watched the MTV movie awards in many years, since the channel became completely unwatchable to me.

I am a bit surprised they overlooked ST09, since they usually want to at least appear "hip". *shrug*
Old June 12 2010, 01:11 AM   #38
billcosby
Commodore

Any boycotts yet?

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2010, 03:12 AM   #39
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The new pledge shall be:
"If I shall ever start watching MTV, I promise to immediately stop watching it because they shut out Star Trek '09 at their Movie Awards show...uh-huh, take that!"
Old June 12 2010, 04:25 AM   #40
Devon
Fleet Captain

It's pretty obvious that you missed the point entirely. It doesn't matter what other people think in terms of your own enjoyment of it. You can cite all the box office records, professional reviews, and movie awards, and that still shouldn't change your own enjoyment of the movie by one bit. Think for yourself.
I think for myself. I like the film.

And still changes nothing else.
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 07:38 AM   #41
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Some wins!:

http://www.trektoday.com/content/201...ey-art-awards/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14 2010, 04:12 PM   #42
Ryan8bit
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
See, what you're partly getting at is that there can be some sort of objective truth when it comes to opinions...
No. I'm really, really not.
So you weren't appealing to the majority? Ok...

Devon wrote: View Post
It's pretty obvious that you missed the point entirely. It doesn't matter what other people think in terms of your own enjoyment of it. You can cite all the box office records, professional reviews, and movie awards, and that still shouldn't change your own enjoyment of the movie by one bit. Think for yourself.
I think for myself. I like the film.

And still changes nothing else.
That's good that you like the film, but you've obviously done your fair share of searching for validation of your opinion.

And I'm not sure what else that's supposed to change here.
Ryan8bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 05:40 AM   #43
propita
Rear Admiral

What do you expect? This is the audience that adores Twilight and "Snookie"?
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2010, 05:25 PM   #44
knine
Commander

Bummer. Let's hope ST09 does better at the rest of the prestigious awards that cable TV channels gives out such as:
* Lifetime Real Women Awards
* Comedy Central Awards
* Discovery Awards
* Animal Planet Awards
* Galavisión Awards
* Fashion TV Awards
* The Weather Channel Awards
* QVC Awards
knine is offline   Reply With Quote