Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 11 2010, 05:24 AM   #31
Capt. Vulcan
Vice Admiral

Re: WARNING for anyone buying BBC's "Life" on BluRay

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
Colonel Green wrote: View Post
I can't even understand why Discovery felt the need to re-record the narration. It's not as though Attenborough's accent is indecipherable, and do people in the market for nature documentaries REALLY base their purchase on the star power of the narrator?

Beyond that, Oprah can't have come cheap. Seems like a waste of money.
Discovery re-narrates a lot of their UK-sourced, high-profile programs if they don't have an American narrator. Occasionally they'll keep the original, but they're more likely to re-narrate. I don't know why. I guess they're worried that U.S. viewers won't like the accent or something?

As for why they chose Oprah, it's a matter of business. Oprah loved "Planet Earth" and raved about it on her show. She really helped push the publicity of the series for Discovery. She also said she'd have liked to have narrated a series like that. Then, Discovery and Oprah announce that they are teaming up to launch OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network (which debuts Jan 1, 2011). So now Discovery and Oprah are business partners. Letting her narrate "Life" is corporate synergy at work, and they also probably just let her do it to make her happy.
"Adam will see if he can escape the boot of the vehicle using only a torch and his wits!"

^ I imagine possible stuff like that will confuse American audiences.
Old June 11 2010, 12:22 PM   #32
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

I can't even understand why Discovery felt the need to re-record the narration. It's not as though Attenborough's accent is indecipherable, and do people in the market for nature documentaries REALLY base their purchase on the star power of the narrator?

Or if they were going to re-record it why they didn't go with their own talent, Mike Rowe.
Old June 11 2010, 05:15 PM   #33
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Will a PS3 be affected? I bought a PS3 specifically for the BluRay player capability, even have a Bluetooth remote which is cool as it works without pointing it at the PS3, LOL
Old June 11 2010, 05:16 PM   #34
Meredith
Vice Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post

Or if they were going to re-record it why they didn't go with their own talent, Mike Rowe.
Heck I would take Tori Belichi's of Mythbusters narrating it over Oprah.
Old June 11 2010, 05:17 PM   #35
Meredith
Vice Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
^It works the other way around, Mythbusters has a different voiceover in the UK as well. Usually the wording is still pretty much the same but they do give weights and measures in both metric and Imperial.
I love the Mythbusters Narrator!
Old June 11 2010, 05:25 PM   #36
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Meredith wrote: View Post
Will a PS3 be affected? I bought a PS3 specifically for the BluRay player capability, even have a Bluetooth remote which is cool as it works without pointing it at the PS3, LOL
It's only when you buy the version *imported from the UK* that there'll be a problem.

The Attenborough version of Life is also available in the US, so you don't need to get it as an import. The US-available version will play in any Blu-Ray player, AFAIK; the 50hz problem doesn't apply.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
Mr. Laser Beam is online now   Reply With Quote