TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old June 3 2010, 07:52 PM   #136
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

View Melonpool's Twitter Profile
Re: New Star Trek Fan Film

Did you try putting Gorilla Tape on the back side of the panels? That's what I do in situations like this, and it keeps the light from coming though from the back. You can even double-layer it if you need to -- and you don;t have to worry about it not accepting paint.
Melonpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 09:38 PM   #137
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Melonpool wrote: View Post
Did you try putting Gorilla Tape on the back side of the panels? That's what I do in situations like this, and it keeps the light from coming though from the back. You can even double-layer it if you need to -- and you don;t have to worry about it not accepting paint.
In fact, we did after we put the Gorilla Tape on the front. We put one or two layers on the back, as needed to block the light from shining through.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2010, 06:21 PM   #138
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

How was your weekend? I saw in an earlier post that you had a very ambitious schedule set put for yourselves -- I know how everything always takes longer than you think it will -- That's why I'm renaming my ship the USS Murphy's Law.
Old June 8 2010, 06:33 PM   #139
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

LOL -- Well, the weather has been quite rainy here, and so we're behind, of course. We knew that would be the case. We've got one turbolift built, lit, and ready to hang the doors this evening.

Not sure what I'll do tonight, but we're about four days behind on our dream schedule. I've had to do the work myself lately because of vacations for my associates (no rest for the wearied exec, I'm afraid). The boys helped out a bit Sunday and Monday evenings, allowing me to get the dummy lift partitions assembled. The plans on how to assemble them changed four times during implementation (grrrrrrr). The electrician bailed because of all the storms (can't blame him there), and will be here tomorrow.

We're going to do the viewscreen next.
Old June 8 2010, 06:52 PM   #140
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like we're both making progress. I've started bolting the odds and ends I've been saving to the walls as texture, then I'll be able to prime and paint soon. Still haven't figured out the base for the helm and nav stations yet... soon, though! I think the next time I work will be spent on that and the captain's chair.

I was delayed by the exact opposite problem out here this weekend -- 108 degree heat! I ended up working from about 8 am to 11 am, then again from 6 pm to 8 pm. Every second counts, I guess!
Old June 8 2010, 07:33 PM   #141
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

With my job, I work until 6pm daily, and then get started on the set around 745pm. It's usually only 90 when I start, but the humidity's always around 67%, so it feels horrible. Last night, I worked until 10pm, then I restarted around midnight and worked until 2am. It's a lot cooler then. Fortunately, I set my own hours at Fast Copy, so I don't have to be in until I want to.

On your nav stand, have you thought of just a simple tube for a base? We used that on the Klingon console that Lt. Korg uses (although no one could probably see it).
Old June 8 2010, 10:19 PM   #142
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

The biggest thing about the puppet is making sure it's not incredibly top heavy (since the puppeteer can easily knock it over from below. My main concern with the stand isn't the way the base on camera looks as much as having a base that has enough bottom to keep it from toppling over. The drawback is that it also has to be portable since it stands directly on a concrete floor -- making it impossible to secure it in place.

I think I have a design in mind now -- but until I build it, I have no idea if it'll work. Oh well. Hasn't stopped me, so far!
Old June 9 2010, 05:04 AM   #143
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

With our console design, we were faced with the same concern: they looked to be top heavy. Fortunately, I had opted to use 2x12's for the base. It made it extremely stable, and they don't even rock at all.

Tonight, I was hoping to do two things: hang those silly "dummy" turbolift doors, and then work on the captain's chair. Hanging those doors turned out to be one of the most trying experiences we've undertaken. Fortunately, the "working" turbolift doors will be easier now that we've figured out the process.

Now I need some plywood... *sigh* It's always the most expensive thing to purchase...
Old June 9 2010, 05:27 AM   #144
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

We will add diamond-cut acrylic light screens to defuse the rope lights, edge those screens with some L-shaped molding, put another cross piece over the foyer, and stick one of those click-on click-off round lamps in the ceiling of the foyer. Then we'll turn it over to the set decorator for cool doodads and stuff.

Last edited by Potemkin_Prod; June 9 2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Additional Information
Old June 9 2010, 05:51 AM   #145
Data Holmes
Admiral

Nice...
Old June 9 2010, 06:39 PM   #146
Melonpool
Lieutenant Commander

It looks great! I would think that you could "cheat" the dummy turbo lift for the real one if necessary by having the actors walk toward the dummy doors in a long shot, then switching angles to a close up of the working one for them to leave the Bridge. Might work if you need it for a storyline.

You know what I was thinking about doing with those click-on click-off lights to not have to deal with the batteries? I'm planning to take off the backs, and just take the lens and the front facing and glue it over a hole in the wall board that's the same size as the lens. That way, I can just put a shop light behind the panel and light both the elevator (well, in my case, the corridor) and the lamp up top with the same bulb.

Of course, I'm planning on using the super cheap "touch lights," and this might not work for you guys, but I'm so leery of batteries, it's worth pursuing.
Old June 9 2010, 09:26 PM   #147
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Nice...
Thanks. We're getting there!

It looks great! I would think that you could "cheat" the dummy turbo lift for the real one if necessary by having the actors walk toward the dummy doors in a long shot, then switching angles to a close up of the working one for them to leave the Bridge. Might work if you need it for a storyline.
On the same page, man. On the same page. The doors actually do slide. It's just that there's no room out the back for a platform (just a triangular clearance of about a foot and a half. We can actually pan by the doors, open the doors off camera, have the actor step out and close them off camera, and he'll appear as though he's stepped out of the turbolift.

You know what I was thinking about doing with those click-on click-off lights to not have to deal with the batteries? I'm planning to take off the backs, and just take the lens and the front facing and glue it over a hole in the wall board that's the same size as the lens. That way, I can just put a shop light behind the panel and light both the elevator (well, in my case, the corridor) and the lamp up top with the same bulb. Of course, I'm planning on using the super cheap "touch lights," and this might not work for you guys, but I'm so leery of batteries, it's worth pursuing.
I'm going to put my trust into some batteries, just because the devices are powered that way.
Old June 9 2010, 11:50 PM   #148
Data Holmes
Admiral

Potemkin_Prod wrote: View Post
Nice...
Thanks. We're getting there!
Indeed.

On the same page, man. On the same page. The doors actually do slide. It's just that there's no room out the back for a platform (just a triangular clearance of about a foot and a half. We can actually pan by the doors, open the doors off camera, have the actor step out and close them off camera, and he'll appear as though he's stepped out of the turbolift.
If your effects/editing set up can handle it, you could always green screen it.

Place a green screen behind the doors, that way you can "insert" a full sized turbo lift behind the doors as they open as the crew walks up, or to have a partial open door showing "battle damaged turbo" or even a liftless tube, depending on what the story would require. Then, just before the cast walks into the screen, you cut to a inside out shot. Then you film the crew entering your turbolift set with a green screen behind them hiding the bridge. Then shoot a "insert" with the camera from the other side to insert behind the actors showing proper bridge placement/action.

It adds more work to do in post production and takes a little more time to film said shots because of on set requirements, but it also adds a level of versatility for story telling

As an aside, have you given any thought to placing a "tix clock" anywhere on/in your sets?

They are great and are an example of what those things in the R-Refit corridors just might be:

Tix Clock - http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/moms/7437/

During TSFS destruct sequence: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd1244.jpg
Old June 10 2010, 06:13 AM   #149
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Definitely will do the green screen thing as needed.

The Tix Clock is cool. Don't have any corridors in this episode, but will keep that box in mind for other things as well!

The main thing we're going to avoid is the red digital clocks all over the bridge.
Old June 10 2010, 06:59 PM   #150
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

As an aside, have you given any thought to placing a "tix clock" anywhere on/in your sets?

They are great and are an example of what those things in the R-Refit corridors just might be:

Tix Clock - http://www.thinkgeek.com/interests/moms/7437/

During TSFS destruct sequence: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a...tsfshd1244.jpg
We used a TIX clock (modified) on the Starship Polaris set. They look cool, but they're an expensive solution for just a few blinky lights.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote