Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 7 2010, 05:08 AM   #16
ngc7293
Commander

Re: 'Tron: Legacy' team mount a 'Black Hole' remake

I think everyone was just too young to appreciate a good movie. I loved it. It was one of the best movies at the time. If they want to remake The Black Hole, it can only get better. Everyone said old BSG was dumb an campy now people can't stop talking about the new show and how much better it was than the old one.

One thing I have to agree on. They really have to bring back the music score. That was priceless.
Old June 7 2010, 05:16 AM   #17
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ Also the ending. We still have to see Reinhardt end up in hell.

Pity that the original actor probably wouldn't be up for reprising his role. (Is he still alive, BTW?) The ending of the original film was priceless just for the wordplay. Maximilian Schell ends up...in Maximilian's shell.
Old June 7 2010, 06:11 AM   #18
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

ngc7293 wrote: View Post
I think everyone was just too young to appreciate a good movie. I loved it. It was one of the best movies at the time. If they want to remake The Black Hole, it can only get better. Everyone said old BSG was dumb an campy now people can't stop talking about the new show and how much better it was than the old one.

One thing I have to agree on. They really have to bring back the music score. That was priceless.
YES! They HAVE to bring back the original score, which was the best thing about that movie (although I do love the movie itself).

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Also the ending. We still have to see Reinhardt end up in hell.

Pity that the original actor probably wouldn't be up for reprising his role. (Is he still alive, BTW?) The ending of the original film was priceless just for the wordplay. Maximilian Schell ends up...in Maximilian's shell.
Yes, Maximilian Schell is still alive.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 06:19 AM   #19
Mike Farley
Commodore

I am listening to THE BLACK HOLE score right now. As far a composer for the remake, I would go with David Arnold, who's done a good job evoking Berry with his Bond scores.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 06:21 AM   #20
Rķu rķu, chķu
Fleet Admiral

View Rķu rķu, chķu's Twitter Profile

^ Why not simply use John Barry again?
Old June 7 2010, 06:23 AM   #21
Mike Farley
Commodore

If you can get him out of retirement...I would be all over that score!
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 11:37 AM   #22
Lonemagpie
Writer

Mike Farley wrote: View Post
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Meh, that was my ambition. So much for that, then.
There's always THE CAT FROM OUTER SPACE.
Hm.

Dunno about that.

Now, Warlords Of Atlantis, The Land That Time Forgot, The Devil Rides Out and Horror Express are probably the ones that would vie for being my replacement ambition..

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 05:38 PM   #23
Kaijima
Captain

Are the people who are being cynical not paying attention to who is in charge of this remake? The guys doing Tron Legacy seem to have a damned firm grip on how to follow up films of that era. The atmosphere evident in the Legacy trailer is spooky as hell and spot on; not a cheap cash in by people who don't understand the original films.
Kaijima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 07:26 PM   #24
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Ah, I'm not feeling it. Tron is one thing, but The Black Hole was basically a cash in on Star Wars by way of trampling all over Twenty Thousands Leagues Under The Sea. A remake would be more redundancy than I think I could handle. Throw in another thirty years of "inspiration", and this recipe could fit right into the disaster cookbook.
Tron: Legacy is a sequel, not a remake; secondly, having your protagonists be space explorers come upon a lost ship captained by a super-smart madman reminiscent of Captain Nemo is not the same as Star Wars by a longshot: it's more reminiscent of classic hard science fiction novels and Star Trek (the U.S.S. Palomino was exploring space like the U.S.S. Enterprise did on TV). Star Wars had little to do with it-it was more like Twenty Thousands Leagues Under The Sea by way of 2001: A Space Odyssey mixed with Star Trek (a recent movie, Supernova as well as Sunshine were also like this, and so also was Solaris.)
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 08:54 PM   #25
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

I can't wait for Tron: Legacy and a Black Hole remake would be sweet.

The Cygnus kicked all kinds of ass and was creepy as hell.

I hope they show the black hole with an accretion disk drawing matter away from at least one stellar source, instead of empty space. That would be sweet! I haven't seen a black hole depicted in a multi-star system with an accretion disk on TV ever, except for maybe that one time, in Singularity from Season 2 of Enterprise (2002), but that's it, I think. Don't hold me to that, though. I wouldn't want to make an absolute statement and be quickly proven wrong or anything.

Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 09:13 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

Dusty Ayres wrote: View Post
Star Wars had little to do with it-it was more like Twenty Thousands Leagues Under The Sea by way of 2001: A Space Odyssey mixed with Star Trek...
Good description. True, Disney was motivated by the success of Star Wars to try to create its own SF epic, but that was just a business influence, not a creative influence.

Base_Delta_Zero wrote: View Post
I hope they show the black hole with an accretion disk drawing matter away from at least one stellar source, instead of empty space. That would be sweet! I haven't seen a black hole depicted in a multi-star system with an accretion disk on TV ever, except for maybe that one time, in Singularity from Season 2 of Enterprise (2002), but that's it, I think. Don't hold me to that, though. I wouldn't want to make an absolute statement and be quickly proven wrong or anything.
If there are any other exceptions, I'm not aware of them. I didn't even remember "Singularity" (since pretty much that whole season of ENT is very forgettable). But I should've known that if anyone would get the astrophysics visuals right, it'd be those guys. The writers/producers of ENT may have been all about the crazy technobabble, but the designers knew their stuff.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 10:48 PM   #27
bryce
Rear Admiral

View bryce's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to bryce

I'm with Christopher...I heartened by the idea of this movie having some real black hole science behind it...

(I mean sure, they'll probably have to take some liberties for plot reasons...but it would be nice if they gave us some hard sci-fi based on real astronomy & physics. and there is some real wiz-bang amazing stuff about black holes - stuff that can give a film a real sense of wonder and mystery...and make it *smart*.)

I'd love to see the Palomino being a small follow-up search mission to find up with happened to a previous expedition by the Cygnus to the super-massive blackhole at the center of the Milky Way...
bryce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2010, 12:00 PM   #28
Lonemagpie
Writer

Christopher wrote: View Post
Dusty Ayres;4145471
[QUOTE=Base_Delta_Zero;4145811 wrote:

If there are any other exceptions, I'm not aware of them. I didn't even remember "Singularity" (since pretty much that whole season of ENT is very forgettable). But I should've known that if anyone would get the astrophysics visuals right, it'd be those guys. The writers/producers of ENT may have been all about the crazy technobabble, but the designers knew their stuff.
I'm pretty sure the one in Dr Who's The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit does as well

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2010, 12:10 PM   #29
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Next they'll remake Silent Running.
Old June 8 2010, 08:06 PM   #30
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
Next they'll remake Silent Running.
Hope not. While it has a couple of plot holes you could drive a truck through, Silent Running features an amazing performance by Bruce Dern, wonderful visual style, and three of the spiffiest sci-fi robots ever. No remake is going to able to match any of it. Best not to tempt fate by trying to do so.

Last edited by Mysterion; June 8 2010 at 08:26 PM.
Mysterion is offline   Reply With Quote