Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What's your verdict?
Excellent 100 63.29%
Good 45 28.48%
Average 4 2.53%
Meh 6 3.80%
I'd rather cut off my ear 3 1.90%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 6 2010, 03:42 PM   #91
Chaos Descending
Vice Admiral

Re: 5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Brent wrote: View Post
Something very important about this episode, the Doctor is able to fly the TARDIS to the exact point in time and space he wanted. A sign for sure that he has gained greater control over the TARDIS as the years have gone by.
The Doctor has always had the ability to do so.

Any time he's been unable, whether stated on screen or not, it' because he's been working an angle.

He's been able to pilot the TARDIS with pinpoint accuracy far too many times for there to be any other explanation.
Old June 6 2010, 03:55 PM   #92
Australis
Writer

Wow, people! Watch the first 30 seconds again! Something's rushing at Vincent in the wheat, and it ain't crows!

I think there's going to be a big reveal in Ep 13.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 03:56 PM   #93
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

^There's always the opinion that the TARDIS makes choices to take him to places where he's needed too.
Old June 6 2010, 04:07 PM   #94
David cgc
Vice Admiral

"A horse and a man, above, below. One has a plan, but both must go..."
Old June 6 2010, 04:07 PM   #95
Demonland
Commodore

Australis wrote: View Post
Wow, people! Watch the first 30 seconds again! Something's rushing at Vincent in the wheat, and it ain't crows!

chronologically does this take place before or after the Doctor meets him? I realise that talking chronologics in a show about time travel is silly.
Daleks do not accept apologies - Dalek Handbook Rule #31
Demonland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 04:42 PM   #96
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Australis wrote: View Post

I'm pretty sure that was supposed to be hinting at this week's monster, nothing else.
Old June 6 2010, 05:01 PM   #97
Classic Fan
Rear Admiral

View Classic Fan's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Classic Fan

It was good, but not the best. Typical Curtis though, and it was fab but it had its flaws.

Usual monster of the week, Doctor digs out something of old to find/see it with.

Although cleverly handled, making it the possible reason for Vincents documented madness, but never gave a reason as to why only he could see the beastie.

As is the norm with Curtis, we have brilliant character studdies and interations in circumstances that are so common place but, in the case of his Who ep its a bit other wordly, but it works.

The developing relationship bewtween Amy and Vince was a nice but unneccesary touch, especially when he picked up on the residual mourning for Rory, even though he had been un-written from time.

And the part when he painted over the sunflowers to sketch the monster was brilliant, with the doctor and Amys reaction, priceless scene.

and it had probably the best ending to an episode, with Amy wanting to save Vincent from suicide, but not succeeding, but she changes one thing, he still repaints sunflowers but with an added message to Amy, great and touching.

not sure if the visit to the museum in the future was need, Van Gogh didnt need to go to 2010 to see his fanbase, he just need a friend to believe in him, and he found that with the Doctor and Amy, but alas, it was there. The Ep couldve gone along that line of the friendship developing rather than running away from monsters.

But, saying that, it was a good delve in the psyche of one the best artists, which i studdied in art, or the world.
"Course your not,your not scared of anything. Box falls out the sky, man falls out of box, man eats fish custard. Look at you, just sittin' there,you know what i think? Must be helluva scary crack in your wall" - The Doctor
Classic Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 05:15 PM   #98
cultcross
Say my name...

Demonland wrote: View Post
I thought that was just brilliant. The whole Van Gogh bit was just enthralling. The Doctor and Amy were great. What a sad story. I almost feel as if meeting the Doctor and Amy and the future that they showed him somehow contributed to his depression even further. Imagine how Vincent would have felt in the days and weeks and months after his incredible chance encounter with the Doctor and his beautiful assistant. He fought aliens and travelled in a Time Machine (which was impossibly bigger on the inside) and saw his work finally appreciated only to have to go back to being ridiculed, despised and lonely once again. Maybe his meeting with the Doctor had such a profound affect on him and after that he just couldn't bare to live such a mundane, unappreciated and lonely existence and he just wanted to be free.
This was my take on it when I was watching the scene in the museum - imagine going back to his life after that! That's what I loved most about that scene, actually - it was at once wonderfully fulfilling - he will be remembered, and as a genius - and horribly depressing - he will never know anything of it, never feel gratitude or acceptance. A very conflicted thing for someone to go through, I think.
Old June 6 2010, 05:50 PM   #99
timelord1010
Captain

I loved the episode but gave it a "Good" rating. I would have given it a excellent if the monster didn't look like a giant chicken
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 05:56 PM   #100
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Chaos Descending wrote: View Post
Brent wrote: View Post
Something very important about this episode, the Doctor is able to fly the TARDIS to the exact point in time and space he wanted. A sign for sure that he has gained greater control over the TARDIS as the years have gone by.
The Doctor has always had the ability to do so.

Any time he's been unable, whether stated on screen or not, it' because he's been working an angle.

He's been able to pilot the TARDIS with pinpoint accuracy far too many times for there to be any other explanation.
Well no, in the original run he specifically states he has no control over where the TARDIS goes. This has lead to many companions getting stuck with him, and him not being able to return them home.

It is a common theory though that over time, the Doctor has gained greater control of the TARDIS, able to pin point where he wants to land, and this episode that has really come true he's able to go to the past, the future and the past again exactly when he wants to.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 06:07 PM   #101
Hennessy Badger
Fleet Captain

It's so odd to read complaints of how "slow" or "boring" it was...as if you were shown nothing but paint drying for the entire episode!

I loved it personally. Easily my favorite episode of this series. I came in with really low expectations, but was blown away by the strength of it.

I need to make a mental note of who the director was for this episode, because it was filmed beautifully. Everything from outside the restaurant/bar to the Amy bathed in sunflowers was gorgeous. Don't even get me started on the starry night sequence. Amazing.

And of course, the Van Gogh museum scene was emotional as all hell. I'm totally downloading that song!

The only bad thing is that next weeks episode has a lot to live up to and The Lodger looks....different.
"Gene Roddenberry used to say that Star Trek is a way of saying that the way things are is not the way they have to be. It's about imagining other possibilities, better possibilities." - David Gerrold
Hennessy Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 06:09 PM   #102
davejames
Vice Admiral

timelord1010 wrote: View Post
I loved the episode but gave it a "Good" rating. I would have given it a excellent if the monster didn't look like a giant chicken
I see a lot of people ripping the monster design, but personally I think it's refreshing to see some of the wackier alien creatures that must be out there (and that we have plenty of on our own planet).

Not every alien monster is going to be some scary, badass looking thing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 06:17 PM   #103
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Classic Fan wrote: View Post
Although cleverly handled, making it the possible reason for Vincents documented madness, but never gave a reason as to why only he could see the beastie.
I'd say on a meta level the beastie paralleled Van Gogh's inner demons which while very real only he could "see".

Within the story itself, given the scene with Starry Night, the dialog about how deeply Van Gogh experiences colors and his ability to see a sadness within Amy, I think it could be argued that Van Gogh saw the world differently that perhaps could explain how he saw the creature.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 06:18 PM   #104
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Hennessy Badger wrote: View Post
It's so odd to read complaints of how "slow" or "boring" it was...as if you were shown nothing but paint drying for the entire episode!
I'd like to know the ratio between those who found it boring and only started watching the show when RTD brought it back and those who enjoyed it and were fans of classic Who beforehand.

Not having a go or anything, I'm just being curious.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 06:24 PM   #105
DAK
Admiral

Shazam! wrote: View Post
I'd like to know the ratio between those who found it boring and only started watching the show when RTD brought it back and those who enjoyed it and were fans of classic Who beforehand.

Not having a go or anything, I'm just being curious.
I was actually wondering the same thing myself. This episode was probably the most reminiscent of classic Who since the show was brought back in '05.