Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 6 2010, 01:46 AM   #16
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar
Re: Destination: Outer Space - The premiere is upon us!

It's the weekend. Have you watched it yet? We need reviews!
Old June 6 2010, 11:26 AM   #17
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I plan to watch it today if all goes well.
Old June 6 2010, 03:33 PM   #18
Forbin
Admiral

Watched Cave Women on Mars last night. This is exactly the kind of film my friends and I kept trying to make in Super-8 back in the 70s and 80s, but never got our acts together enough to finish. Take that as you will.

Okay, I understand the whole "affectionate spoof" thing with the intentionally mediocre acting (it's the same thing we were aiming for with our unfinished ("Captain Majors" 30s-style serial), but what the heck was the captain/professor guy trying to do with the scary stares and long pauses? That was just creepy and unnerving - I don't remember any 50s sci fi actors doing things like that. It worked best in the scenes between the Lieutenant and the blonds, where the acting was actually rather normal (well, closer to normal, given the cavewoman dialog ).

I have to forward the website to that old film gang of mine, I'm sure they'd get a kick out of seeing what might it have been like if we'd finished anything.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 08:29 PM   #19
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I just ordered a copy of Destination: Outer Space.
Old June 6 2010, 09:52 PM   #20
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, I watched the movie (didn't finish the commentary yet), and it did not disappoint. Especially the closing credits.

Like the previous movies in the series, Destination: Outer Space is completely self-contained, yet inhabits a larger universe. It really makes you wonder why professional Hollywood writers are incapable of simple continuity when talented independent filmmakers can do it so effortlessly. As we've come to expect, this movie is a fond homage, not a satire or parody, of classic B-grade Drive-In films. Unlike movies like Lost Skeleton Of Cadavra (which I love), this is intended to be something that might almost be mistaken for an old movie-- at least at first glance. And the characters are always treated respectfully. Captain Jackson, in this installment, is suffering the fallout of the events on Mars and has a character arc involving his parents-- most particularly an artifact that represents his mother-- that is very touching.

Since this one is set primarily in outer space, it has a bit of a different feel than the others, even Cave Girls On Mars. In addition to the ST and SW homages, there is a bit of a Hitchhiker's vibe here as Jackson is buffeted around the cosmos from one exotic locale to another. There is a larger cast than in previous movies, but they mostly come and go-- the action, so to speak, focuses on Jackson.

The special effects are great, and just what you'd expect from a low-budget 50s movie. I find the home-made artistry of effects like these even more appealing than the photorealism currently in vogue in contemporary wanna-be mainstream sciffy. I especially liked the little village on the first planet. It looked like an illustration out of an old magazine.

So when does the next one come out?
Old June 6 2010, 10:00 PM   #21
OmahaStar

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Forbin wrote: View Post
but what the heck was the captain/professor guy trying to do with the scary stares and long pauses? That was just creepy and unnerving - I don't remember any 50s sci fi actors doing things like that. It worked best in the scenes between the Lieutenant and the blonds, where the acting was actually rather normal (well, closer to normal, given the cavewoman dialog ).
It was a joke between the actor and director in the first movie, when they didn't know there would be more movies. It was sort of spoofing Shatner, with the long pauses.

There is a scene in the second movie when the Professor does his usual long pauses between words, while he's on the telephone, and the person on the other end asks if he's still there, totally mocking the character trait.

The same actor, Josh Craig, plays the Professor (Monster of Phantom Lake, It Came From Another World) who becomes the Director of Rocket Command (Cave Women on Mars, Destination: Outer Space), as well as that character's son, Captain Jackson in Cave Women and Destination.

It's toned down considerably for the Captain character, but still just as funny.
Old June 6 2010, 10:11 PM   #22
OmahaStar

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
So when does the next one come out?
I'd anticipate April or May of next year. He's great at putting out one a year. Also, if you search around for the Easter Eggs on that disc, you'll find a preview of which movie will be coming out next year.
Old June 6 2010, 11:07 PM   #23
The Squire of Gothos
Rear Admiral

Any clips online?
Old June 7 2010, 12:22 AM   #24
Forbin
Admiral

OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
but what the heck was the captain/professor guy trying to do with the scary stares and long pauses? That was just creepy and unnerving - I don't remember any 50s sci fi actors doing things like that. It worked best in the scenes between the Lieutenant and the blonds, where the acting was actually rather normal (well, closer to normal, given the cavewoman dialog ).
It was a joke between the actor and director in the first movie, when they didn't know there would be more movies. It was sort of spoofing Shatner, with the long pauses.

There is a scene in the second movie when the Professor does his usual long pauses between words, while he's on the telephone, and the person on the other end asks if he's still there, totally mocking the character trait.

The same actor, Josh Craig, plays the Professor (Monster of Phantom Lake, It Came From Another World) who becomes the Director of Rocket Command (Cave Women on Mars, Destination: Outer Space), as well as that character's son, Captain Jackson in Cave Women and Destination.

It's toned down considerably for the Captain character, but still just as funny.
Turns out we have a mutual friend (Kevin Shinnick, part of the afformentioned gang of filmmakers I hung out with)) who explained to me that the pauses are very much like an actor in Killers From Space, one 50s film I've managed to miss.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2010, 02:52 AM   #25
OmahaStar

The Squire of Gothos wrote: View Post
Any clips online?
Here are a few from the series ...

Monster of Phantom Lake -
http://sainteuphoria.com/tmopl_preview.html (8 minute preview)

It Came From Another World -
http://sainteuphoria.com/icfaw_preview.html (5 minute preview)

Cave Women From Mars -
http://sainteuphoria.com/cwom_trailer.html (trailer)

Terror From Beneath the Earth -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFLo140UwrQ

Destination: Outer Space -
http://sainteuphoria.com/dos_trailer.html (trailer)
Old June 7 2010, 07:28 AM   #26
Captain Euphoria
Commander

View Captain Euphoria's Twitter Profile

Oh, yes, writing the new script at this very moment! It's going to be a fun one -- sort of a mix between Day of the Triffids, The Thing from Another World, and Alien. That's all I'm saying for now...
Old June 9 2010, 11:09 PM   #27
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

My DVD of Destination: Outer Space just arrived. I'll watch it soon and post a review. Looking forward to it!