TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What's your verdict?
Excellent 100 63.29%
Good 45 28.48%
Average 4 2.53%
Meh 6 3.80%
I'd rather cut off my ear 3 1.90%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 6 2010, 07:13 AM   #76
Checkmate
Commodore

Re: 5x10 Vincent and the Doctor (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!

Nah. We see the effects of changes in the show. If he didn't commit suicide originally, they wouldn't have known about it originally.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 07:17 AM   #77
DAK
Admiral

The whole scene where Van Gogh was painting the church and the Doctor was getting bored and antsy was hilarious. "Is this how time normally passes? Realllly slowly? In the right order?" His descriptions of watching Michelangelo and Picasso paint. When he jumped back into the room and yelled "Not that fast!", scaring the daylights out of Amy and Vincent. Amy scaring the daylights of him. Twice. I can't remember the last time I laughed out loud this many times in any one Doctor Who episode. I think this has to be one of my favorite episodes, ever.
Old June 6 2010, 07:55 AM   #78
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

SG-17 wrote: View Post
Question, I've always heard van Gogh's name pronounced as 'go', is that pronunciation just an American thing?
I don't know. But I do know that I've heard the British laughing at the pronunciation (us being such great linguists and all... )

DAK wrote: View Post
The whole scene where Van Gogh was painting the church and the Doctor was getting bored and antsy was hilarious. "Is this how time normally passes? Realllly slowly? In the right order?"
I find 11 to be bloody hilarious. It's like seeing the Doctor in his youth in some ways, but with an empathy and wisdom that comes with age. I'm really very fond of him.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 09:00 AM   #79
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

QI, a british quiz show, helpfully did a small segment on the pronunciation of Van Gogh. Suffice to say no one in the episode said it correctly either:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLTQv8RH1TE
Old June 6 2010, 09:29 AM   #80
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

Question, I've always heard van Gogh's name pronounced as 'go', is that pronunciation just an American thing?
Yes, mostly. Americans usually pronounce it "Van Go", in the UK you usually hear "Van Goff", which is what the Doctor was calling him, the French call him "Van Gog". The Bill Nighy character was pronouncing it correctly: [vɑɲˈʝɔç]
Old June 6 2010, 12:12 PM   #81
Count Zero
Decidedly something

TigerOfDarkness wrote: View Post
Having suffered from depression myself, the only doubt I have is whether taking Van Gogh to the present to see how highly regarded he is was a good idea. Self esteem building aside, if I were Van Gogh I doubt I would ever be able to paint again having heard the art critic (based on Brian Sewell?) praise my work. How could I live up to that - every brush stroke would have to be second guessed...
I hald expected there to be less paintings in the room when the Doctor and Amy returned to the museum at the end of the episode.

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
I don't know. But I do know that I've heard the British laughing at the pronunciation (us being such great linguists and all... )
I've always heard it pronounced as van Goch (like the Scottish word Loch). Unfortunately, I can't read Mirrorball's phonetic spelling above to find out whether that's right.

Well, that was the first 'Excellent' of the season for me. I had tears in my eyes for the last 15 minutes. I thought the idea that no one except Vincent can see the alien, not even the Doctor, was great. Oh well, everything I would have wanted to say about the episode has already been said. It was moving, yet also humourous and entertaining.
Old June 6 2010, 12:47 PM   #82
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

wamdue wrote: View Post
poor CGI.
No. This one was really well done. Compare the Crafiys to Lazarus and see the astounding difference in quality.

Likening it to Primeval is frankly a joke.
Old June 6 2010, 12:50 PM   #83
Gov Kodos
Admiral

That was a wonderful episode, and Tony Curran did a fabulous job as Van Gogh. He portrayed the mood swings of Van Gogh's depressions beautifully. I especially loved the scene of the three in the field watching the stars all holding hands with the other for their own private needs to one another. An excellent episode, I almost felt let down by how prosaic the next episode previews felt.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 01:26 PM   #84
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

I won't say too much as I'll just be echoing whats been said already, but I quite enjoyed this and even my girlfriend sat down to watch it. I think Matt Smith has sold her on Doctor Who.
Old June 6 2010, 01:34 PM   #85
Neroon
Mod of balance

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
Neroon wrote: View Post
One question at the moment. What was the title of the song played when the Doctor brought Van Gogh forward into the present to see his paintings?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athlete_%28band%29

Chances by Athlete

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmDZI_IgRtE
Thank yo VERY much for this! That's one unintended benefit I've received from watching the show. Getting to know new music and new artists
Old June 6 2010, 02:34 PM   #86
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral

Well, I had to take a walk after watching that one -- three hours, I ended up in Manhattan!

It has already been said in the thread -- the humor, the sadness, the acting; Van Gogh was so accurately manic-depressive! Certainly one of my all-time favorite Who episodes.

The Enterprise is my TARDIS.
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 02:48 PM   #87
Demonland
Commodore

I thought that was just brilliant. The whole Van Gogh bit was just enthralling. The Doctor and Amy were great. What a sad story. I almost feel as if meeting the Doctor and Amy and the future that they showed him somehow contributed to his depression even further. Imagine how Vincent would have felt in the days and weeks and months after his incredible chance encounter with the Doctor and his beautiful assistant. He fought aliens and travelled in a Time Machine (which was impossibly bigger on the inside) and saw his work finally appreciated only to have to go back to being ridiculed, despised and lonely once again. Maybe his meeting with the Doctor had such a profound affect on him and after that he just couldn't bare to live such a mundane, unappreciated and lonely existence and he just wanted to be free.

Anyway loved the 1st and 2nd Doctor cameos. Loved the TARDIS becoming a 19th century bulletin board and it was great to see it burnt to shreads on re-entry (how did Captain Jack survive the trip).

All in all one of my favourite New Who stories ever.
Daleks do not accept apologies - Dalek Handbook Rule #31
Demonland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2010, 03:19 PM   #88
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

Demonland wrote: View Post
Loved the TARDIS becoming a 19th century bulletin board and it was great to see it burnt to shreads on re-entry (how did Captain Jack survive the trip).
Jack can survive anything. Even listening to Dirk Bennedict.
Old June 6 2010, 03:21 PM   #89
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

(how did Captain Jack survive the trip).
Well, technically he didn't, he was revived soon after the Doctor and Martha landed. But the guy's effectively immortal and in the same episode, we saw him unbothered by radiation that vaporized a poor fella.

And Jack's the only one in the show's history thus far to "survive" a trip in the time vortex unaided.
Old June 6 2010, 03:36 PM   #90
George Bailey
The Revd's Oldman

View George Bailey's Twitter Profile

jamestyler wrote: View Post
Loved the TARDIS becoming a 19th century bulletin board and it was great to see it burnt to shreads on re-entry (how did Captain Jack survive the trip).
Jack can survive anything. Even listening to Dirk Bennedict.
Surely that would finish even Jack off?
You sit around here and you spin your little webs and you think the whole world revolves around you and your money. Well, it doesn't, Mr. Potter. In the whole vast configuration of things, I'd say you were nothing but a scurvy little spider!
George Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote