Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 29 2010, 11:17 PM   #616
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Re: Unpopular Trek Opinions — What Are Yours?

Shazam! wrote: View Post
Yeah, and the fact there was a B4 meant why didn't they just send him?
Very true....
Old May 29 2010, 11:23 PM   #617
Chrisisall
Commodore

Khan's bangs were laffable in WOK.
Chrisisall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 09:22 PM   #618
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
I think it would have been more emotionally satisfying if Picard . . . sacrifices himself in order to save the only family he's ever truly had.
Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
. . . Maybe it would have been neat if Data had given a really nice eulogy for Picard, proving in it that he finally learned what being human truly meant from Picard's example. It could be a nice reversal of Kirk's speaking about how his friend who wasn't human taught him about humanity.
Those are great story ideas.
Old June 2 2010, 09:54 PM   #619
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind Picard dying; it would have been interesting to see what they would have done with Riker, and the other characters.
Would Riker have still taken command of the Titan as schedule, at the end of the movie? In terms of story ideas, place a brand new Captain on board the Enterprise, would have been like when they regenerate Doctor Who. Giving command to Data, well Data is a know quantity, a new Captain we could watch being built up from scratch. No?

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 02:43 AM   #620
BK613
Captain

Unpopular opinions I have:
-Star Trek, as a whole, while entertaining, is not really good science-fiction.
-TWOK is not the gold standard for Trek everyone wishes it is.
-Retconning is a bad way to run a railroad.
Old June 4 2010, 05:47 AM   #621
Admiral Shran
Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
Admiral Shran wrote: View Post
I think it would have been more emotionally satisfying if Picard . . . sacrifices himself in order to save the only family he's ever truly had.
Too Much Fun wrote: View Post
. . . Maybe it would have been neat if Data had given a really nice eulogy for Picard, proving in it that he finally learned what being human truly meant from Picard's example. It could be a nice reversal of Kirk's speaking about how his friend who wasn't human taught him about humanity.
Those are great story ideas.
Thank you.
Old June 4 2010, 08:29 AM   #622
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
I wouldn't mind Picard dying; it would have been interesting to see what they would have done with Riker, and the other characters.
Would Riker have still taken command of the Titan as schedule, at the end of the movie? In terms of story ideas, place a brand new Captain on board the Enterprise, would have been like when they regenerate Doctor Who. Giving command to Data, well Data is a know quantity, a new Captain we could watch being built up from scratch. No?

They could have gone several ways...but, I've learned with 'Star Trek' lately that only a few think outside the box. (In regards to the time when 'Nemesis' was made, creativity in the Trekverse was at an all-time low)...

BK613 wrote: View Post
Unpopular opinions I have:
-Star Trek, as a whole, while entertaining, is not really good science-fiction.
-TWOK is not the gold standard for Trek everyone wishes it is.
Interesting...

Last edited by Joel_Kirk; June 4 2010 at 08:45 AM.
Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2010, 05:26 PM   #623
TedShatner10
Commodore

Here's mine:
  • Throughout the run of The Next Generation, Voyager, and TNG movies Brannon Braga was overall a somewhat better writer than Jeri Taylor and Michael Pillar, though "Threshold" was a howler and he bit off more than he could chew as a producer, outstaying his welcome after VOY wrapped up.
  • Star Trek: Voyager, though clearly outclassed by shows like Farscape, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, NuWho, and the first four seasons of Babylon 5 was almost as enjoyable as Star Trek: The Next Generation, and roughly comparable to Stargate SG-1, Lexx, The X-Files, and the earlier seasons of Sliders. It was marginally better than Enterprise and outclassed post-S1 Heroes, Andromeda, Hercules, and Stargate: Atlantis.
  • Star Trek: First Contact was marginally better than JJ Abrams' Star Trek, with the Borg changing the timeline before Nero did (leading on to Enterprise).
  • Though obviously imperfect and not pleasing everyone, JJ Abrams' Star Trek was a necessary reboot and was as good start as any to genuinely revitalise the Star Trek franchise: it was certainly better than the other two major revamps of the Star Trek franchise, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Season One of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
  • Ronald D. Moore was the best writer of Star Trek in the last two decades, but it sounds like he got very cocky and burned out with NuBSG.
  • A catsuit sort of makes sense for Seven of Nine, but not so much the stiletto high-heels and lack of pockets.
  • Season Two of The Next Generation was a vast improvement over Season One and roughly equal to Season Seven. Season Five was a tad overrated.
  • Brannon Braga has had better success as a TV writer in recent years than Josh Whedon (though that's not saying much).
  • Rick Berman's main problem was that what worked well in 1992 didn't quite cut it in 2002.
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2010, 07:06 PM   #624
SPCTRE
Weltmeister

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

TedShatner10 wrote: View Post
  • Though obviously imperfect and not pleasing everyone, JJ Abrams' Star Trek was a necessary reboot and was as good start as any to genuinely revitalise the Star Trek franchise: it was certainly better than the other two major revamps of the Star Trek franchise, Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Season One of Star Trek: The Next Generation.
I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but how is that not a popular opinion?
Old June 10 2010, 09:04 PM   #625
Pemmer Harge
Fleet Captain

Star Trek: Voyager, though clearly outclassed by shows like Farscape, Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, NuWho, and the first four seasons of Babylon 5

Here's un unpopular opinion around here: it was also outclassed by Season 5 of B5.

with the Borg changing the timeline before Nero did (leading on to Enterprise).
What?!! Please don't tell me this is canon!
Old June 10 2010, 11:16 PM   #626
froot
Fleet Captain

Mine:

- I like all 6(!) Star Trek shows: TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT. Each one brings something unique to the table.
- I think TAS should count as canon, not just "Yesteryear." KIRK IS A JERK!
- Out of the 6 shows, VOY is my favorite and has my favorite overall cast.
- I really enjoyed "Generations."
- I think many episodes in seasons 1 and 2 of DS9 were actually pretty interesting.
- I liked McCoy better than Kirk. He had so much more personality! I was always rooting for him.
- Neelix could be pretty charming when he wanted to be. He was a bad cook, but a loyal friend.
froot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2010, 02:47 AM   #627
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

I liked all the series for the most part and had no problem with the episodes, Threshold or A Night In Sickbay. Found them both to be great episodes. I also think City on The Edge of Forever is way overrated.

I also think the more obsessive Trek fans need to lighten up.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2010, 03:18 AM   #628
bullethead
Fleet Captain

SPCTRE wrote: View Post
I'm sorry, maybe I'm missing something here, but how is that not a popular opinion?
Quite a few Trekkies dislike the changes that STXI brought to the table, although the general population liked it a lot.
Old June 11 2010, 03:35 AM   #629
number6
Vice Admiral

Location: number6 has left the village through some inexpicable hole in the ground to head the corporation.

bullethead wrote: View Post
SPCTRE wrote: View Post
Quite a few Trekkies dislike the changes that STXI brought to the table, although the general population liked it a lot.
Not really. There are only a few here and there. These are the same kind of "fans" who campaigned for the cancellation of Enterprise and still write hate mail to Brannon Braga for dating Jeri Ryan...or post in the TOS forum.
number6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2010, 08:45 AM   #630
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Pemmer Harge wrote: View Post
with the Borg changing the timeline before Nero did (leading on to Enterprise).
What?!! Please don't tell me this is canon!
Thankfully, no it's not.