RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,880
Posts: 5,329,332
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 625
Newest member: EvyR55

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 3 2010, 10:11 PM   #421
xortex
Commodore
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
Re: Where did Spock go?

When everyone is bad then noone is. Evil has been effectively destroyed.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 10:40 PM   #422
Joker
Vice Admiral
 
Joker's Avatar
 
Location: The North
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker
Re: Where did Spock go?

Thanks for that, Captain Threadfart.
__________________
My name is Pain. You belong to me.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2010, 11:31 PM   #423
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang, now with ridges
Re: Where did Spock go?

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
In 2010, we all realize there are no good guys.
"There's only you and me and we just disagree."-Dave Mason
__________________
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 12:30 AM   #424
Locutus
Captain
 
Location: Fort Saint John, B.C., Canada
Re: Where did Spock go?

1984 - Kirk "You fool, look around you! The planet's destroying itself!"
Kruge "Yes, exhilarating, isn't it?"
Kirk "If we don't help each other, we'll die here!"
Kirk "Perfect! Then that's the way it shall be!"



Kruge falls down and over the ledge. Kirk tries to help him back up, Kruge grabs Kirk's leg.


Kirk - "I... (Kick in the head) have had... (Kick in the head) enough of... (Emphatic Kick) YOU....."


2009
KIRK: This is Captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Your ship is compromised. Your too close to the singularity to provide assistance, which we will provide.
SPOCK: (to Kirk) Captain, what are you doing?
KIRK: You show them compassion may be the only way to earn peace with Romulus. It's logic, Spock. Thought you'd like that.
SPOCK: No, not really. Not this time.
NERO: (on viewscreen) I would rather suffer the end of Romulus a thousand times. I would rather die in agony than accept assistance from you.
KIRK: You got it. Arm phasers, fire everything we got.

(Dialogue taken from two sites.)

I'm still rather confused why some people are so on 2009's Kirk killing Nero when he was pretty much dead, while no problem with 1984's Kirk killing Kruge when it probably would have been an easier rescue than for Nero? Maybe it's just because it's cool to hate...

Last edited by Locutus; June 4 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Some meaningless code that wasn't there when I hit post.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 12:39 AM   #425
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral
 
A beaker full of death's Avatar
 
Re: Where did Spock go?

^ If you don't see how that exchange totally flies in the face of everything we know about Kirk and Spock, then I just can't help you.
But yeah, I must have my position because it's cool to hate. I'm a hater. Word.
__________________
"shall not be infringed" is naturally open to infringements of all kinds, because shut up and think of the children.
http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2ImW0V3GV
A beaker full of death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 12:41 AM   #426
Shatnertage
Rear Admiral
 
Shatnertage's Avatar
 
Location: Ward Fowler's gofer.
View Shatnertage's Twitter Profile
Re: Where did Spock go?

Because it's cooler to hate murdering Klingon bastards than murdering Romulan bastards?

And I guess because while the Kirk vs. Kruge thing was just personal, Kirk vs. Nero also doomed the guys washing dishes and keeping the inventory straight somewhere in the bowels of the Narada.


And it's never cool to hate. Because in the words of the noted philosopher Dalton, "No one wins in a fight."
__________________
I don't say 'sabotage.' You say 'sabotage.' I say 'sabataage."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlOTRxt-dIw
Shatnertage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 01:12 AM   #427
Warped9
Admiral
 
Warped9's Avatar
 
Location: Brockville, Ontario, Canada
Re: Where did Spock go?

It's one thing to let someone die who'd rather (Nero), but it's something else to shoot everything you've got at him to help him on his way.
__________________
STAR TREK: 1964-1991, 2013-?
Warped9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 01:51 AM   #428
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Where did Spock go?

Locutus wrote: View Post
1984 - Kirk "You fool, look around you! The planet's destroying itself!"
Kruge "Yes, exhilarating, isn't it?"
Kirk "If we don't help each other, we'll die here!"
Kirk "Perfect! Then that's the way it shall be!"



Kruge falls down and over the ledge. Kirk tries to help him back up, Kruge grabs Kirk's leg.


Kirk - "I... (Kick in the head) have had... (Kick in the head) enough of... (Emphatic Kick) YOU....."


2009
KIRK: This is Captain James T. Kirk of the USS Enterprise. Your ship is compromised. Your too close to the singularity to provide assistance, which we will provide.
SPOCK: (to Kirk) Captain, what are you doing?
KIRK: You show them compassion may be the only way to earn peace with Romulus. It's logic, Spock. Thought you'd like that.
SPOCK: No, not really. Not this time.
NERO: (on viewscreen) I would rather suffer the end of Romulus a thousand times. I would rather die in agony than accept assistance from you.
KIRK: You got it. Arm phasers, fire everything we got.

(Dialogue taken from two sites.)

I'm still rather confused why some people are so on 2009's Kirk killing Nero when he was pretty much dead, while no problem with 1984's Kirk killing Kruge when it probably would have been an easier rescue than for Nero? Maybe it's just because it's cool to hate...
Incorrect analogy. Kirk had offered Kruge assistance and Kruge then tried to kill Kirk by dragging him over the cliff with him. Kirk killed Kruge out of self-defense, plain and simple. Had he not kicked Kruge in the face repeatedly until Kruge let go, Kirk would have died and so would Spock (again) and probably McCoy, too. Nero, on the other hand, was defenseless and powerless--all he had left were the lunatic ravings of a man who had lost everything. Kirk choosing to stick around long enough to unload on the Narada was nothing but an act of childish spite, one which put the Enterprise in jeopardy. Now, had Nero locked a tractor beam on the Enterprise or sent out a couple of those Doc OcK grappler chains to snare her, you'd have a point but he did not and you do not. Thanks for playing.

Next!
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 02:21 AM   #429
Locutus
Captain
 
Location: Fort Saint John, B.C., Canada
Re: Where did Spock go?

shatnertage wrote: View Post
Because it's cooler to hate murdering Klingon bastards than murdering Romulan bastards?

And I guess because while the Kirk vs. Kruge thing was just personal, Kirk vs. Nero also doomed the guys washing dishes and keeping the inventory straight somewhere in the bowels of the Narada.


And it's never cool to hate. Because in the words of the noted philosopher Dalton, "No one wins in a fight."
I can totally respect this reasoning.

I typed up a debate answer to others, but I'm frankly no good at debating. So I'm not going to try.

In my opinion, Spock was Spock. In my opinion, Kirk was right. In my opinion, it was a good movie.

Next.
Locutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 03:04 AM   #430
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Where did Spock go?

Locutus wrote: View Post
In my opinion, Spock was Spock. In my opinion, Kirk was right. In my opinion, it was a good movie.
That works.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 05:00 PM   #431
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain
 
I Grok Spock's Avatar
 
Location: Tooling around in my Jupiter 8...
Re: Where did Spock go?

Locutus wrote: View Post
shatnertage wrote: View Post
Because it's cooler to hate murdering Klingon bastards than murdering Romulan bastards?

And I guess because while the Kirk vs. Kruge thing was just personal, Kirk vs. Nero also doomed the guys washing dishes and keeping the inventory straight somewhere in the bowels of the Narada.


And it's never cool to hate. Because in the words of the noted philosopher Dalton, "No one wins in a fight."
I can totally respect this reasoning.

I typed up a debate answer to others, but I'm frankly no good at debating. So I'm not going to try.

In my opinion, Spock was Spock. In my opinion, Kirk was right. In my opinion, it was a good movie.

Next.
Kirk had no idea if Nero and his ship would survive passing through the singularity. If they did, and Nero resumed his attacks in another time period, he could be dooming further worlds and billions or trillions of beings to destruction. (In some other splinter timeline, granted). He gave Nero an opportunity to surrender, which was declined.

At this point, I have no problem with Kirk ensuring that the Narada would not survive his passage through the wormhole given Nero's demonstrated astonishing destructive tendencies.
__________________
"Die quick and rot." - Mirror Universe Spock
I Grok Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 05:20 PM   #432
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Where did Spock go?

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Now, had Nero locked a tractor beam on the Enterprise
Nero: "I would rather die in agony than accept assistance from you. "

Sulu: "He's locked on multiple tractor beams."

Kirk: "Arm phasers, fire everything we got."

Brutal Strudel that would have made so much more sense, one fukking line from any of the support characters.
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 07:23 PM   #433
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Where did Spock go?

Honestly, it didn't bother me a bit. The only one of the oft-repeated complaints about the movie that really resonates with me is that Kirk's promoted too quickly at the end...and that wasn't a deal-breaker.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 07:30 PM   #434
HarryM
Fleet Captain
 
HarryM's Avatar
 
Location: Old Earth
Re: Where did Spock go?

Didn't bother me. Kirk offered to help, he said no, end of story (for Nero).
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2010, 08:00 PM   #435
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Where did Spock go?

Eh. It bugged me but, like ever so much else in the movie, I can live with it--obviously, it wasn't a deal-breaker for me; I saw the movie 3 times in the theater and own the DVD. But it was not in any way equivalent to what Kirk did in TSFS, that's just silly.

I think what I love most about this movie is that I can still love it in spite of agreeing with nearly everything the so-called haters say about it.

(Fun Fact: When I was 14, I wrote many a Letter of Comment to Interstat, explaining why Kirk's actions in that film were consistent with the humane warrior of TOS and not indicative of a new "Dirty Jim" for the Reagan era. I couldn't do that with this scene.)
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
spock

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.