RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,715
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 699
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 2 2010, 03:09 AM   #1
GeorgeKirk
Commodore

View GeorgeKirk's Twitter Profile
Superman 2 Donner Cut: Something I Just Noticed

Okay, so the Donner Cut of Superman 2 uses the "flying around the Earth to reverse time" gag at the end to undo basically every event in the movie, and it's made clear that no one but Superman remembers what happens. (And we thought Star Trek invented the Reset Button!)

And after he does this, he goes back to the diner in northern Canada and gets revenge on that trucker who beat him up. Only because of the "time reversing" stunt he just pulled, the sequence of events that initially caused him to run afoul of the trucker never happened, so Superman is basically just beating up a guy for no reason!

Has anyone else noticed this?
Old June 2 2010, 03:15 AM   #2
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Superman 2 Donner Cut: Something I Just Noticed

Yeah I thought that was a bit strange too. But I thought maybe the fact that the guy is still an asshole was enough of a reason to kick the shit out of him.
Old June 2 2010, 03:15 AM   #3
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

Yes.

While the Donner cut presents some interesting differences from the theatrical version, I suspect the perfect version of the film lies somewhere between the two.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 03:16 AM   #4
Biffette
Captain

Yes. It is wierd and funny-bad. Glad to see I'm not the only one!
Biffette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 03:20 AM   #5
Kirkman1987
Commodore

Yes, the end of Donner cut is a mess. This is because Donner never filmed an ending, and refused to use Richard Lester's.

As it stands, I think the Donner cut is vastly superior, but I think Donner should've used the Lester ending. I always miss the scene at the white house.
Kirkman1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 03:31 AM   #6
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Perhaps the ending of the Donner cut resets events such that this time, it's the Lester cut that happens. So both cuts are 'canon'.

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 04:15 AM   #7
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

When Superman resets time he actually travels into an AU...the Lesterverse!
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 04:43 AM   #8
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Saul wrote: View Post
Yeah I thought that was a bit strange too. But I thought maybe the fact that the guy is still an asshole was enough of a reason to kick the shit out of him.
Works for me.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 04:54 AM   #9
Nowhere Man
Commodore

RandyS wrote: View Post
Works for me.
I didn't notice that, but I think it's fair to say that Supes has consistantly dis liked pure assholes and iwould that maybe he knew that some bullies just need a good ass kicking in order to be taught a lesson. While it is uncharacteristic of him, he did pay for the damages. My favorite momentis Lois shooting Clark, much better than the fire scene. I justlove the movie period.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 10:40 AM   #10
Admiral Shran
Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
While the Donner cut presents some interesting differences from the theatrical version, I suspect the perfect version of the film lies somewhere between the two.
This sounds about right.
Old June 2 2010, 02:10 PM   #11
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

that's what i was going to say!!
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 03:52 PM   #12
23skidoo
Admiral

GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post
Okay, so the Donner Cut of Superman 2 uses the "flying around the Earth to reverse time" gag at the end to undo basically every event in the movie, and it's made clear that no one but Superman remembers what happens. (And we thought Star Trek invented the Reset Button!)

And after he does this, he goes back to the diner in northern Canada and gets revenge on that trucker who beat him up. Only because of the "time reversing" stunt he just pulled, the sequence of events that initially caused him to run afoul of the trucker never happened, so Superman is basically just beating up a guy for no reason!

I noticed it the first time, and frankly it nearly wrecked the film for me. It was a very sloppy bit of editing, and I honestly can't imagine this scene was placed there in the original plan, for the reasons you just stated.

Mind you, while I find it an interesting curiosity, I still find the Donner/Lester hybrid version of Superman II to be the far superior film, and not just because, logistically, the original release was the finished movie whereas the Donner cut is cobbled together. I mean, people complain about Lester adding the Metropolis street gags. But who added a toilet joke to the Fortress of Solitude that even Lester deleted?

I agree with the above statement that the "perfect version" lies somewhere between the two. Maybe someone will create such a version at a later date, using, for example, the more visually appealing (and more logical) Niagara Falls version of Lois' "suicide" attempt, while reinstating the Marlon Brando sequences, for example. And maybe tweaking the "FREEEEEEEEEEEE!" bit at the beginning which I thought was a bit silly.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2010, 05:46 PM   #13
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

GeorgeKirk wrote: View Post
Yep. It is another reason why I, personally, dislike the Donner cut. Superman going for what is basically revenge, on a guy is not what Superman would do. However, it adds to a humorous scene, so it can be taken at face value, since the trucker guy was clearly going to start shit again.

However, if you add the fact that the events with the trucker never took place, it just makes Superman out to be a total dick for no apparent reason.

The whole scene makes no sense in the Donner Cut.

But then again, Superman does have a legacy of being a dick, so maybe it does make sense.
Old June 2 2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

I think the "rewind time" ending works much better on the first film than the second. In the first, it's the whole crux of the story-- Superman needs to be in two places at once, but he can't. Ah, but he can, but only if he violates Kryptonian law. So he does, and chooses the American way over the Kryptonian one. It's the climax of his emotional journey and it's the only way out of the dilemma Lex has constructed.

In the second film, it's totally random. Superman's won-- why does he need to rewind time then? And if he is going to do it, why doesn't he just do it beforehand? Why does he need to beat Zod and company first?
Old June 2 2010, 08:15 PM   #15
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Yeah I thought exactly this when I first saw the Donner cut.

As others say, a perfect balance lies between the two. And which unrelated, is also my opinion on the Donnie Darko Directors Cut
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote