Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 1 2010, 08:32 PM   #31
Checkmate
Commodore

Re: Miley Cyrus Comes Forward As A 'Glee' Hater

Backpeddle all you want. The intent of your first post is clear, especially considering the title of the thread.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2010, 08:33 PM   #32
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Well, I'm going to be busy for a while since I now have to watch every minute of television ever broadcast in order to know whether or not I want to watch it.
Oh for fuck's sake! Passive-aggressive much?

Still waiting for someone to tell me where I actually criticised Glee beyond saying it's not my sort of show - just as Ms. Cyrus did. Up until this morning I was under the impression that it was okay to choose to watch a show or not based on things like reviews and trailers.

Edit - Checkmate, show me the post where I criticised the show.
Dude is this really the hill you want to die on?

You don't like Glee. You said so. People disagreed. Life moves on.
Old June 1 2010, 08:38 PM   #33
The Evil Dead
Vice Admiral

View The Evil Dead's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Evil Dead

I'm very, very, very pro-Miley on this important issue.
Old June 1 2010, 08:50 PM   #34
Hermiod
Admiral

Checkmate wrote: View Post
Backpeddle all you want. The intent of your first post is clear, especially considering the title of the thread.
Wrong. Once again, someone misinterpreted an article. Cyrus doesn't say she hates the show, only that musicals in general are not her thing - which is strange given her profession. As my mother's son, I have watched and enjoyed countless musicals and not enjoyed countless more.

I agreed with her on that and wondered why musicals had undergone such a resurgence in popularity. People who can comprehend the written word can see that, why can't you?

I, like any other vaguely sane person, base my choice of entertainment on personal preference. That does not make me or anyone else 'ignorant'. It makes me a person with a finite amount of time and money to spend on entertainment.

Now, I asked the question for a reason. I am genuinely interested in why people think musicals are suddenly so popular again.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2010, 09:00 PM   #35
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Checkmate wrote: View Post
Wrong. Once again, someone misinterpreted an article. Cyrus doesn't say she hates the show, only that musicals in general are not her thing - which is strange given her profession. As my mother's son, I have watched and enjoyed countless musicals
Arsenal fans.
Old June 1 2010, 09:03 PM   #36
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

I know where Miley is coming from. I used to be among the "I hate musicals" brigade many years ago. Ironic too, since I have loved all types of music for years and am have been an amateur musician for most of my life.

Anyway, I got a bit older and a little more mature and open minded and most importantly, finally happened to catch a musical on T.V. whose songs I liked a lot. That's when realized that not all musicals were the same and that as long as I liked the songs, I could really like "musicals".

Miley may find out as she matures that there likely will always be some musicals out there she doesn't like, but that there are some she can like.

OTOH, maybe she is uncomfortable with seeing that there are lots of kids out there around her age who are much better singers than she (except the dude who plays "Phin").
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2010, 10:12 PM   #37
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

doubleohfive wrote: View Post
You don't like Glee. You said so. People disagreed. Life moves on.
People disagreed that he doesn't like the show?

I've seen a couple episodes of the show, trying to get into it, it's decent enough with a good cast.
Old June 1 2010, 10:12 PM   #38
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

I just don't understand the people who go out of their way to piss and moan about it (or whatever show of the week we're discussing) to the extent of raining on everyone else's parade.

Then again, your sig quotes Warped9, who suffers from precisely this problem, so maybe my words don't count for much...
Giving a critical evaluation of a show is fine, but I agree that there are those who simply revel in pissing and moaning about those shows they don't like and who enjoy poking a stick in the eye of people who are fans of those shows. That's not an approach I have have any time for. Having said that, doubleohfive, you've sported a sig taking a shot at Star Trek: Voyager for as long as I can remember. However jocular the shot is, it's still a shot. Doesn't that contradict the position you've stated here?
Old June 1 2010, 10:16 PM   #39
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Reading the article... Christ, it's like a Perez Hilton blog entry. Miley says she doesn't like musicals, they quote her by even cutting out a chunk of the quote -they don't even put her quote in quoutes- and from the quotes she doesn't say anything about Glee.
Old June 1 2010, 10:25 PM   #40
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Again, why are we caring what Miley thinks?

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2010, 10:25 PM   #41
RoJoHen
Awesome

Because she looks like a chipmunk!
Old June 1 2010, 10:32 PM   #42
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post
I just don't understand the people who go out of their way to piss and moan about it (or whatever show of the week we're discussing) to the extent of raining on everyone else's parade.

Then again, your sig quotes Warped9, who suffers from precisely this problem, so maybe my words don't count for much...
Giving a critical evaluation of a show is fine, but I agree that there are those who simply revel in pissing and moaning about those shows they don't like and who enjoy poking a stick in the eye of people who are fans of those shows. That's not an approach I have have any time for. Having said that, doubleohfive, you've sported a sig taking a shot at Star Trek: Voyager for as long as I can remember. However jocular the shot is, it's still a shot. Doesn't that contradict the position you've stated here?
Well yes and no.

A) The quote is from The Colbert Report, a show whose very existence is based in satire.

2) I've watched every episode of Star Trek: Voyager and while there are episodes I like, it's not my chosen favorite.

D) There's a marked difference between a quote from a satirical news show and actively going in to threads to bitch and complain about shows I don't watch just for the sake of bitching and moaning. I don't do the latter, and seeing others do it is, in my opinion, pretty lame.

That said, I probably should change my sig because you're right, the lack of context can be misleading and I'd rather avoid this kind of argument altogether.
Old June 1 2010, 10:33 PM   #43
RoJoHen
Awesome

^Don't change your sig! It's one of my favorites!
Old June 1 2010, 10:35 PM   #44
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Brent wrote: View Post
Again, why are we caring what Miley thinks?
Because she's a celebrity and kinda hot.
Old June 1 2010, 11:09 PM   #45
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Because she looks like a chipmunk!
Really? I'm getting more of a camel vibe from her.