Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What do you think about the episode?
Brilliant 43 37.39%
Good 52 45.22%
Average 12 10.43%
Meh 3 2.61%
I wish we had a puke smilie 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 31 2010, 03:42 PM   #151
cultcross
Say my name...

Re: 5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
Isn't it also obvious this will be sorted by the end of this series? which means we will have two episodes without Rory and then the final two-parter?

How much obvious do we need the constant references of "time can be rewritten!" to know that by the end of the series, one way or the other Rory will be back (which doesn't mean he's going to be around next year).
Yes the enormous bleeping Reset Button doesn't really make the death less pointless or more impactive on either us or the Doctor. In fact, if it wasn't so mind numbingly obvious it would probably have had more effect. As it is, we've seen him resurrected once already and it happening again won't give death number 2 any more emotional weight, especially as the one character who should be feeling this loss acutely and painfully doesn't even remember his existence.
Old May 31 2010, 03:43 PM   #152
Starkers
Admiral

Why do people assume Rory will be resurrected? I don't think he will be...
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 03:46 PM   #153
cultcross
Say my name...

Well at this point the set-up is such that it doesn't really matter either way - Amy won't remember if he isn't, and if he is, the death means even less. The outcome that I'd like to see now is that Amy's memory is restored, but Rory is not. Give his death some, albeit retrospective, meaning to his fiancé.
Old May 31 2010, 03:52 PM   #154
SeerSGB
Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
Yes, it is obvious the TARDIS explodes at some point in the future
Hmmm...

We know 10's regeneration was all kinds of batshit crazy. Could the Tardis have went or will go through something similar that leads to the explosion as the Tardis tries not to die/regenerate?
Old May 31 2010, 03:56 PM   #155
cultcross
Say my name...

The piece of the TARDIS was one of the clues pointing to a big-ass reset button in the Doctor's future. I'm sure the annals of history could survive the loss of Rory, but the TARDIS wiped from history?
Old May 31 2010, 04:02 PM   #156
SeerSGB
Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
The piece of the TARDIS was one of the clues pointing to a big-ass reset button in the Doctor's future. I'm sure the annals of history could survive the loss of Rory, but the TARDIS wiped from history?
Counter sets back to zero, we get a new TARDIS (please no changing the outside-- though I can see that happening) and a new Doctor #1, perhaps?
Old May 31 2010, 04:05 PM   #157
cultcross
Say my name...

TheGallifreyanSith wrote: View Post
Counter sets back to zero, we get a new TARDIS (please no changing the outside-- though I can see that happening) and a new Doctor #1, perhaps?
Possibly - it would get rid of that pesky regeneration limit but then I suspect we'd just ignore that anyway
A brand new TARDIS would have to explain why it still can only look like a phone box, of course.
Old May 31 2010, 04:28 PM   #158
The
Rear Admiral

View The's Twitter Profile

Rowan Sjet wrote: View Post
The wrote: View Post
Meanwhile, fantastic episode. Anyone who says otherwise is a whiny twat.
Thanks.

USS Bones wrote: View Post
I know, it's like saying anyone with intact critical faculties is a whiny twat.
No, whiny twat is accurate. Someone with critical faculties is objective. For example:

USS Bones wrote: View Post
I'd rather be a whiny twat than the kind of braindead moron who found that episode anything other than embarrassing.

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
That'll be me, then.
Nah, you always get a pass for just being awesome.
Old May 31 2010, 04:32 PM   #159
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Nah, you always get a pass for just being awesome.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 04:40 PM   #160
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Well at this point the set-up is such that it doesn't really matter either way - Amy won't remember if he isn't, and if he is, the death means even less. The outcome that I'd like to see now is that Amy's memory is restored, but Rory is not. Give his death some, albeit retrospective, meaning to his fiancé.
I don't think Rory's getting resurrected either, but I agree with you that the memory of him has to come back for the death not to be completely pointless.

I'm sure Moffatt is going to use Chekhov's engagement ring to achieve this.
Old May 31 2010, 05:36 PM   #161
davejames
Vice Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
The impact is for us the viewer and the Doctor. Would it help is Amy spent the next season moping about like Ten did after Rose?
Exactly. We know, and the Doctor knows. That look he gives Amy as she's waving to her future self says it all.

Sure I admit his death didn't have a HUGE impact on me (coming so out of the blue as it did), but I still found it to be a fairly sad and tragic thing.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 06:20 PM   #162
Bones
Commodore

Someone with critical faculties is objective.
We're discussing a TV show. Ultimately opinions as such wouldn't be objective, because it's down to interpretation. You can say there can be objectiveness in things like how well the plot holds together or how good the CGI looks, but ultimately people judge these things differently and place different emphasis on what areas are more important to them for them to like it. If there was any objectivity about it, we'd all know immediately whether it was good or bad and agree.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 06:42 PM   #163
thoughtspitter
Cadet

I do not think I have seen this theory. What if the Tardis shrapnel that we saw was from the tardis of the doctor whom River Song might kill during the events of the pandoricon? Maybe that causes the explosion?

My theory of what will occur is this: I think we are witnessing an alternate universe play out. There are many clues to this theory being right. In this episode the doctor flat out says that a new timeline will be created. In the episode with the dream world there is a play on what is real and what is not. And during the episode with the angels we see another doctor. What if the "real doctor" is trying to direct Amy Pond to sealing the cracks of the alt universe so that it can heal and close up?
thoughtspitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 07:09 PM   #164
DAK
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Why do people assume Rory will be resurrected? I don't think he will be...

I think there will be an emotional impact for Amy, because I think time will somehow be rewritten (again) and it will hit her all at once. With the Doctor traveling back through his own timeline it looks like the season finale will be full of all sort of timey-wimey stuff. Whether Rory will actually be resurrected or not I don't know, but I think Amy will somehow remember him. Moffet's a good writer, I trust his finales to be better than RTD's.
Old May 31 2010, 07:43 PM   #165
Checkmate
Commodore

I'm fairly certain that since River Song knows of an older Doctor, and because the Doctor will clearly be traveling in his own timeline which is apparently a big no-no, what's going to happen -- somehow -- is that the TARDIS is going to collide into itself. One will survive, one will not.

Since time is going to be rewritten, chances are the Doctor is going to take the TARDIS back into his own timeline (or someone else at the wheel may do it, which we know is a distinct possibility considering how smooth River was at piloting it as well as the whole 'does he know what you did' line) is going to wind up destroying his past self from the point of the collision up until the point of the collision. So, basically, most of this season. Though he's not going to have any idea that's going to happen, or if he does it's going to be some kind of suicide mission in order to save Amy and/or Rory.

That's my theory anyway. Seems to account for all the major points of the season thus far. Amelia seeing the TARDIS materialize in Amy's dream, why the Doctor found shrapnel from the TARDIS, the bishop's mysterious conversation with River, River's exceptional piloting skills, the cracks in time being caused by the TARDIS, why the supervillian aliens are mocking him about his impending death, etc.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote