RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,714
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 847
Newest member: Farside89

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old May 31 2010, 01:44 PM   #1
Dusty Ayres
Commodore

Apple – The New Comics Censors

Buying Apple's new devices for reading comic books? You might not want to because of this:

Some people who’ve never looked the word up in the dictionary believe that “censorship” can only come from the government or a state body. Not from a business or an individual. They are wrong.
Of course some people believe that censorship must, by its very nature, be always bad. They are also wrong, but that’s more of a subjective viewpoint and not relevant today. Back to the government/non-government thing.
At the Prism website, which celebrates and supports lesbians gays and transgendered in comics, both characters and creators, Prism founding president, Charles “Zan” Christensen has decided to take on Apple and the future of digital comics.
Because while many in comics see the iPad as a new frontier to be conquered and claimed, there are signs that something about the Apple is rotten.

Apple – The New Comics Censors
Dusty Ayres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: Apple – The New Comics Censors

Try typing the letters L, E, S and then B in to a Google search box and watch it stop giving you suggestions.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 03:07 PM   #3
Shatinator
Commander

Hermiod-

How sad to confirm your google test, a little surprised I am, that it is so blantened, but we can not be suprised; this is what happenes when no one is watching the watchers.
Shatinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 03:30 PM   #4
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

And yet it keeps suggesting for homosexuality
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 03:54 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Hmm. I'm not sure it's accurate to call it censorship. A business has the right to decide what products it wishes to carry. As long as there are alternative markets for the product, it can still get distributed. For instance, I wouldn't want to see X-rated comics sold on the rack at Toys R Us, but I would want their publishers to be able to sell them through other, age-appropriate markets. It would only become a problem if Toys R Us were the only business that sold comics at all. Then its marketing decisions would become de facto censorship due to the lack of alternative channels.

So defining this as a censorship issue is missing the more basic problem, which is monopolistic business practices. The problem isn't that Apple is intentionally restricting free speech; the problem is that Apple is too much of a monopoly and is thus restricting free trade, with free speech being a casualty. What we need is to break up the monopoly, restore the antitrust laws to the strength they used to have.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 04:08 PM   #6
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

It might have had more impact if the author could actually write English correctly.
Old May 31 2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Try typing the letters L, E, S and then B in to a Google search box and watch it stop giving you suggestions.
Whoa, that's bizarre. Bing doesn't go there either apparently.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 04:44 PM   #8
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Go where? I'm confused, am I missing something?
Old May 31 2010, 05:15 PM   #9
Hermiod
Admiral

^My point was that it's not just Apple that 'censors' such content.
Old May 31 2010, 05:24 PM   #10
Roger Wilco
Admiral

But I'm not seeing any blatant censorship of that term in google. Can you make a screenshot of your serch results?
Old May 31 2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Hermiod
Admiral

It's not search results, it's suggestions, as you type in to a Google search field it offers you suggestions. If you start typing 'adult' terms it will stop offering any suggestions at all.
Old May 31 2010, 05:37 PM   #12
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Oh ok, I always turn that auto-suggestion off because it annoys me. Now I understand why I didn't understand what you were talking about, thanks.
Old May 31 2010, 06:26 PM   #13
scotpens
Vice Admiral

Deckerd wrote: View Post
It might have had more impact if the author could actually write English correctly.
What? What flagrant errors in grammar, usage or spelling does the article contain? I couldn't find any.
scotpens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 06:30 PM   #14
23skidoo
Admiral

Yet another reason why I won't let e-book readers of any kind into my house.

Oh well, if nothing else this might spark a resurgence in the wonderfully creative underground comix genre that thrived during the Comics Code Authority era. The next Robert Crumb could look at these reports and say "screw that" and start creating the next Mr. Natural. We can only hope.

Alex
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2010, 06:39 PM   #15
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Apple's heavy-handed control strikes again

I do have an iPhone and it's a cool device but I find myself wishing i'd gone for Android instead. The open model is sooo much better. I've already been put off to the iPad based on their heavy-handed limited walled-garden approach (not to mention Flash. Here comes the part where Apple fanboys try to convince me how garbage Flash is and it's better that it's not there even though most of my favorite sites have Flash on them).
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote