Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 30 2010, 01:38 PM   #376
3D Master
Rear Admiral

Re: Where did Spock go?

In fact, I think he's understating things.
3D Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 01:41 PM   #377
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

You're in a weird and obsessive minority, though.

Nobody ever listens to those.
Old May 30 2010, 05:50 PM   #378
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

^No... I don't think many people can honestly say this film has more in common with TOS than at the most superficial level -- basically, the same names are used.
Old May 30 2010, 06:01 PM   #379
Joker
Vice Admiral

Sure, we all have our views. But... in fiction, things can and will change, especially after 40 years. It isn't automatically better or worse for it.

All that's happened here is some fans weren't given what they wanted, which they were never entitled to or owed to begin with. To listen to 3D Master and Hyperbole9 overstating things while patting each other on the back like nodding dogs, you'd think there was a real problem beyond their own personal disappointment.

There ain't. Star Trek moved on, did something new, which it's allowed to do.
Old May 30 2010, 06:43 PM   #380
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Warped9 wrote: View Post
Zeppster wrote: View Post
I think the spirit of TOS is what makes this movie so good.
Then we definately have a different interpretation of TOS' essence because from what I saw I didn't recognize one sliver of commonality between TOS and Abrams' crapfest.
Oh, there are commonalities.

However, nuTrek is more of a popcorn movie. Fun, a good summer movie flick, with some mild liking for the characters. I can't, however, see it leading to the kind of show (or series of movies) that will build a small, but loyal fanbase as TOS did, the kind of fanbase that is still around after 40 odd years.

As long as the new movies make enough money to make TPTB happy, we'll keep seeing nuTrek. I don't expect it to bring new fans permanently into the fold. It's the kind of movie that will bring temporary fans perhaps, who will in a short time move on to something else.

Personally, I think Trek has run its course. It's been much longer than I expected; when I was 13 I thought I had missed it all. It was really just beginning - with 4 series to go and eleven movies following the original Star Trek.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 06:44 PM   #381
3D Master
Rear Admiral

elton wrote: View Post
Sure, we all have our views. But... in fiction, things can and will change, especially after 40 years. It isn't automatically better or worse for it.

All that's happened here is some fans weren't given what they wanted, which they were never entitled to or owed to begin with. To listen to 3D Master and Hyperbole9 overstating things while patting each other on the back like nodding dogs, you'd think there was a real problem beyond their own personal disappointment.

There ain't. Star Trek moved on, did something new, which it's allowed to do.
You're wrong. Because if it did something that I didn't want, but was still good, I would say so. However, this movie is a plot-hole ridden pile of shit, that stabs a stake through the heart of Star Trek several times over.

It is a level of ineptitude and outright disdain for the source material that is horrible in its existence.
Old May 30 2010, 07:15 PM   #382
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Dennis wrote: View Post
Kirk is Kirk.
Except when he's Gary Mitchell, which is essentially who Pine was playing.

I'm not suggesting that the creators had Gary in mind when they wrote Kirk, just that the rather standard-issue charming bad boy depicted by Pine has more in common with Mitchell than with the Kirk of TOS, particularly of S1 TOS. Pine's Kirk is a fairly decent back-extrapolation from the Kirk of TWoK but there are more than one way to arrive at that kind of outlook in mid-life.
Old May 30 2010, 07:30 PM   #383
Joker
Vice Admiral

3D Master wrote: View Post
You're wrong.
Yeah, no hyperbole or weirdorage here:
...this movie is a plot-hole ridden pile of shit, that stabs a stake through the heart of Star Trek several times over.

It is a level of ineptitude and outright disdain for the source material that is horrible in its existence.
Old May 30 2010, 07:56 PM   #384
3D Master
Rear Admiral

You're wrong.
Yeah, no hyperbole or weirdorage here:
...this movie is a plot-hole ridden pile of shit, that stabs a stake through the heart of Star Trek several times over.

Nope, no hyperbole whatsoever, that's the horrifying part of it.
Old May 30 2010, 08:12 PM   #385
xortex
Commodore

I couldn't watch transformers the other night. It sucked the air right out of my room. One has to beware of things that seem right 'cause very often they're not.
xortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 08:13 PM   #386
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

All that's happened here is some fans weren't given what they wanted, which they were never entitled to or owed to begin with...Star Trek moved on, did something new, which it's allowed to do.
That's right, and it's a good thing.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 08:40 PM   #387
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
I'm not suggesting that the creators had Gary in mind when they wrote Kirk, just that the rather standard-issue charming bad boy depicted by Pine has more in common with Mitchell than with the Kirk of TOS, particularly of S1 TOS.
This is true.

Pine's Kirk is a fairly decent back-extrapolation from the Kirk of TWoK but there are more than one way to arrive at that kind of outlook in mid-life.
This is also true.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 09:11 PM   #388
Joker
Vice Admiral

... this movie is a plot-hole ridden pile of shit, that stabs a stake through the heart of Star Trek several times over.

Nope, no hyperbole whatsoever,
Old May 30 2010, 09:43 PM   #389
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Dennis wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
I'm not suggesting that the creators had Gary in mind when they wrote Kirk, just that the rather standard-issue charming bad boy depicted by Pine has more in common with Mitchell than with the Kirk of TOS, particularly of S1 TOS.
This is true.

Pine's Kirk is a fairly decent back-extrapolation from the Kirk of TWoK but there are more than one way to arrive at that kind of outlook in mid-life.
This is also true.
Of course, when one takes into account that Shatner's Kirk grew up in a completely different environment than Pine's, those kind of differences make sense. In one of the deleted scenes, George Jr. tells us that Kirk was a straight-A good boy right up to when he "steals" his father's car and destroys it.
Old May 30 2010, 09:50 PM   #390
Ronald Held
Rear Admiral

I still cannot see Kirk lasting 3 years at Academy with his attitude, no matter how intelligent he was.
Ronald Held is offline   Reply With Quote