Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What do you think about the episode?
Brilliant 43 37.39%
Good 52 45.22%
Average 12 10.43%
Meh 3 2.61%
I wish we had a puke smilie 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29 2010, 11:49 PM   #46
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Re: 5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

wamdue wrote: View Post
the physical set was fine, it was the CG environment that looked cheap, you know the first 30 seconds of the episode.
Mmh, it looked fine to me, certainly not cheaper than usual. (Doctor Who's CGI does look a bit cheaper than that of US genre shows, but that's fine. It's nothing glaring.)
Old May 30 2010, 12:14 AM   #47
wamdue
Admiral

maybe I should judge all of Doctors Whos FXs and CGI, by what was displayed in "Robot"

Count Zero wrote: View Post
It's nothing glaring.)
it was glaring to me.
Old May 30 2010, 12:14 AM   #48
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

Can't say I had a problem with the cgi either. *shrugs*

And they actually had personalities. Imagine.
What personalities?!? They were cyphers, nothing more. The angry military leader (with familial connections to the soldier us humans just killed, of course), the wise elder, the morally resolute scientist (who's totally fine with VIVISECTION btw, but lets just ignore that this episode). And all played their usual roles in this cliche ridden suckfest.
Old May 30 2010, 12:25 AM   #49
Count Zero
Yeah, I know...

Yeah, I wondered about the role of the scientist in this episode, too. He had already vivisected Elliot's father (though that at least wasn't deadly or overly traumatic, it seems - or maybe I misheard the dialogue last week), was about to do the same to Amy, had apparently been kidnapping children from the surface to keep them in a state of very slow aging (again, maybe I misheard, but it sounded to me as if Elliot wasn't the first one) and when he tells that to the Doctor, he ends up saying that he loves him (in a platonic way, I hope). The scientist also claimed he'd never hurt Elliot and everyone just accepted that.
So, either the vivisection thing was a cultural misunderstanding or important bits of the episode were cut out or that part just didn't make that much sense.
Old May 30 2010, 01:06 AM   #50
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

I thought that Doctor was just going to throw that dead lizard general into the time event , and her subsequent erasure might have meant that Rory was never killed and even that her sister might not have died too and the Silurians and the humans learnt to get along.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 01:21 AM   #51
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I don't understand why people are saying because Ten regenerated in the TARDIS, that that would bang destroy it? The Doctor has regenerated in the TARDIS before.
Old May 30 2010, 01:25 AM   #52
Australis
Writer

I voted good. The last 10 minutes cracked on, but before that I, for the first time, skipped bits, especially the emotional wibbling. They just weren't well written or compelling. I'll just stick in a generic 'written by Chibnall' comment here.

But I didn't expect that last 10 minutes. Rory's death and retcon shocked me. I admit that seeing the Crack there and then (in relation to everything else) gave me a shiver, I really didn't se it coming. And the fragment...

I think the finale will be surprising.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 01:27 AM   #53
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Another enjoyable episode and it would seem that at least I'm partially correct that the events at the end of "The End of Time Part 2" are responsible for creating the spacial cracks and as suspected everything is being revealed as we go along. I enjoyed the depiction of the Silurians and am going to have to find someway to download the old episodes or find the DVD's if there are available...the Doctor did point out last episode that this was a different branch of the the species. Rory sacrificing himself to save the Doctor was nice...we know he'll be back or at least he's credited in the finale. Four more episodes left...and "Vincent and the Doctor" looks better than I thought it would be. Bill Nighly!!!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 01:41 AM   #54
wamdue
Admiral

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
I don't understand why people are saying because Ten regenerated in the TARDIS, that that would bang destroy it? The Doctor has regenerated in the TARDIS before.
there was radiation he absorbed by the energy chamber of the Gate, that was cleary let out by the Doctor in the regeneration process, hence why it was half destroyed.

That said why the TARDIS would be able to fix itself, but not stop the cracks is an interesting question.
Old May 30 2010, 02:09 AM   #55
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Possibly the Tardis didn't recognize the source of the energy and had no reference point to stop it...a guess.

Old May 30 2010, 02:15 AM   #56
Checkmate
Commodore

Or, more likely, that wasn't the reason the TARDIS explodes, and it instead explodes in the future and we're seeing the outcome of those events. Or worse, the Doctor stops the TARDIS from exploding, even though it clearly already has, creating a paradox which is where all the cracks are coming from.

The question to ask is why are these cracks only showing up now instead of in his past adventures? Clearly something that happened at the start of the season set these actions in motion, even if they're not the actual event. Big difference between those two things. It could -- and mostly does -- have everything to do with nearly breaking the time lock. That's far more plausible than the silly regeneration theory running around. The TARDIS can take way more abuse than a single reactor's output, for crying out loud.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 02:25 AM   #57
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

After seeing the piece of shrapnel and your comment Checkmate I can't help but wonder about "The Big Bang" the Tenth's regeneration certainly was that and we really don't know WHEN the regeneration took place. We only assume that it was still in 2010 and then the Tardis crashes in 1996 or whenever it was when he meets Amelia. We only saw the interior of the explosion not the exterior until it was shown hovering towards Earth. As usual we'll be proven totally wrong.

Old May 30 2010, 02:37 AM   #58
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

A very fun episode. In the clips at the end of Eleventh Hour there is a scene of River in the TARDIS and some kind of explosion. The costume matches the character riding with Amy and the Doctor as welll as the one approaching Stonehenge. Perhaps that is where the explosions start that cause the cracks. All of it tied up with the Pandorica and River killing someone.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star!' Endora on witches in Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30 2010, 02:58 AM   #59
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Question: Is it really a retcon if the story not only acknowledges the change, but also makes it a rather big deal? I always thought retcons were done in ways to try and reduce as much attention to the discrepancy as possible.
Old May 30 2010, 03:16 AM   #60
Checkmate
Commodore

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
After seeing the piece of shrapnel and your comment Checkmate I can't help but wonder about "The Big Bang" the Tenth's regeneration certainly was that and we really don't know WHEN the regeneration took place. We only assume that it was still in 2010 and then the Tardis crashes in 1996 or whenever it was when he meets Amelia. We only saw the interior of the explosion not the exterior until it was shown hovering towards Earth. As usual we'll be proven totally wrong.
Not the future of the linear universe, but the Doctor's future.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote