CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

View Poll Results: What do you think about the episode?
Brilliant 43 37.39%
Good 52 45.22%
Average 12 10.43%
Meh 3 2.61%
I wish we had a puke smilie 5 4.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 29 2010, 09:14 PM   #31
StCoop
Commodore

Re: 5x09 Cold Blood (Grading/Discussion) SPOILERS!!!

EJA wrote: View Post
Ah, but then the Doctor won't meet Amy, and won't do all the stuff he's done so far.
Thank fuck for that. We might get someone who can act playing the companion next year.
StCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 09:22 PM   #32
Candlefright
Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
So Ten caused the cracks when he regenerated in the TARDIS. Its all slowly coming together...
I haven't seen the episode but... really? I guessed that after ep501 aired. I was hoping for a better reason.
Old May 29 2010, 09:41 PM   #33
Bones
Commodore

That was pretty damn poor. I'm not lying when I say I pretty much predicted what would happen. Well, not the crack nonsense. Though as soon as that Silurian bird crawled round the corner with a gun, I knew Rory was a goner. And the Silurian make-up looked absolutely dismal on that fat bloke. Pitiful stuff.

Still love Matt Smith though. And there was some tension when Amy started meddling with that sleeping Silurian. Of course, only a bloody idiot would do that in the first place, but still. Chibnall should be blacklisted.
I keep getting banned. If it happens again to the point of no return (and you miss me so much that you're off your food), I can still be found among the cool dudes of the Anorak Zone: http://anorakzoneforum.informe.com/forum/
It's No Gahy Test.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 09:44 PM   #34
Count Zero
Decidedly something

They killed Rory! The bastards!

There are quite a number of loose threads from this episode, like the Silurians waking up in 1000 years, Nasreen and Elliot's granddad staying behind (I hope we'll see the sequel to that someday) and the engagement ring.
I think the finale will be about changing history with the help of the crack just like the Doctor insinuated in the Weeping Angels two-parter.
Old May 29 2010, 10:34 PM   #35
wamdue
Admiral

also if the CGI enviroment seen in this episode, is the best the BBC, can do, then I plead with them, that they dont even try and render environments in CG, I can believe no one on the production said "dont you think this looks a little cheap?" or how the out sourced CG production company, would want there name associated with such a poor effort
Old May 29 2010, 10:35 PM   #36
Jax
Admiral

Candlelight wrote: View Post
So Ten caused the cracks when he regenerated in the TARDIS. Its all slowly coming together...
I haven't seen the episode but... really? I guessed that after ep501 aired. I was hoping for a better reason.
There was no such reason, The evidence that Candlelight states could easily come from a future timeline.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 10:49 PM   #37
wamdue
Admiral

for what its worth all signs point towards that.
Old May 29 2010, 11:01 PM   #38
The Haunting
Admiral

Cracking episode. Only really let down by too much plot shoved into too short an episode (odd given last week was kinda the reverse)

Loved the CG Silurian underworld, loved loads of Silurians, and I agree with what others have said about hoping we get to see the Doctor show up again in 1000 years.

Rory's death wasn't a shock. Him being retconned out of Amy's memory on the other hand was, and I thought Matt and Karen played it brilliantly.

I disagree that Rory will somehow be back at the end of the season. Nope can't see it. What I can see is somehow the Doctor making it so that Amy at least remembers him. I also don't think the fragments of TARDIS are from Tennant's regeneration, the TARDIS wasn't that banged up. I have a sneaking suspicion that Moffat's pulling a Blakes 7 Orac/Redemption switch. It isn't our TARDIS.

Anyway, in terms of every other late season 2 parter this is clearly the poorest, however it's more comparable to the early season 2 parters, and on that basis I'd put it joint top with the Sontaran 2 parter.

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 11:07 PM   #39
wamdue
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Loved the CG Silurian underworld,
sorry I have to ask, but are you being serious?
Old May 29 2010, 11:18 PM   #40
Count Zero
Decidedly something

I liked the Silurian setting very much as well. I don't really know why people complain.
Old May 29 2010, 11:19 PM   #41
wamdue
Admiral

the physical set was fine, it was the CG environment that looked cheap, you know the first 30 seconds of the episode.
Old May 29 2010, 11:20 PM   #42
Jax
Admiral

Count Zero wrote: View Post
I liked the Silurian setting very much as well. I don't really know why people complain.
Welcome to the Internet and TREK BBS.

If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 11:38 PM   #43
wamdue
Admiral

so just me then?
Old May 29 2010, 11:45 PM   #44
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Exactly. But we have to be polite even when we want to type "WTF, ARE YOU NUTS??!" God forbid we let the place turn into GB.

Me? I loved it! Though I'm sad and bummed by Rory's death. I'm not usually a fan of reset buttons, but I'll be happy to make an exception in this case when it comes to the crack.

Loved how the Silurians turned out. All that just screamed classic Who. Right down to the Science vs Military subplot and the narrow split second escapes. If I had a nickel for everytime we heard "Kill them." "STOP!" back in the old days. I'd...well, I'd have a lot of nickels.

It was so nice to finally see a proper alien civilization. And honestly, unlike the Trek style aliens I was afraid they would turn into, I thought the Silurians were damn cool. And they actually had personalities. Imagine.

Argue all you like about the quality of the CGI. Having grown up on the classic series which had REALY dodgy SFX, I thought it all looked just fine thank you. *Meh, you kids and yer fancy computer effect*

No matter what happens, I'd say we're going to be in for one hell of a season finale.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29 2010, 11:47 PM   #45
The Haunting
Admiral

wamdue wrote: View Post
the physical set was fine, it was the CG environment that looked cheap, you know the first 30 seconds of the episode.
Looked good to me?

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote